Any body using leds?

Hey all, been looking at the grow room/tent and was considering a bit of an upgrade to the lighting. Thinking of putting 400w of digital lighting supplemented by leds. Kessil leds are what I am looking at procuring, but as they are an expensive unit, approx. $220 each, not many are willing to stock them. Has/is anyone out there using these leds, and are they up to all the hype I've been hearing about them. Do the spectrums they come in make as much of a difference as they would like us to believe?

I myself am no expert on this subject but from what I have gathered over the last few weeks a lot of people on this forum don't like to use a LED light as they claim they come nothing close to the light spectrum or light intensity compared  to that of HPS or MH ?

I don't know if this is because they tried the old LEDS and they turned out shit or what but I do know that LEDS technology improves year by year just like everything else and maybe the new ones might be of some use.

Ill be watching this tread as I am interested to what others have to say as well on this subject and would love to see a grow diary with LEDS Cheers

question has been asked many a time b4 - do a forum search plenty of topics already on it

but the consensus around here is that LED's are shit - they just don't compare to pure wattage / power from a HPS or MH. people have tried and the yield is just not the same.

sure technology is getting better, but it's gonna be a long time till it catches up

TSJ

peace 

Edited by The Stoned Jester

The important question is why do you want to use the led's?

If I had the money to add more light I would add HID lighting to get the most return on my investment.

The only reason I can see to even consider using led's is if for some reason it is impossible to use more appropriate lighting.

Naycha :peace:

• Upvote 2

I used a cheap led on 2 grows last year and put up a diary, on the 3rd grow I added a 400w hps The Led was not a high price unit it worked, but when I used the HPS together I trippled my harvest I was blown away. The next grow I am using 600w MH and HPS as I still have the Led I will also chuck it in the tent but the major contributer will be the 600w. I am now fully converted to HPS/MH I am not bagging LEDs but results speak for themselves

• Upvote 2

Ok, done some research, found leds in red spectrum, blue spectrum, and one that emits UVb. Lots of positives, aswell as negs, but will give it a crack anyway. Lumatek 400w is already procured, cant wait to try the superlumen boost function! May take a couple of weeks for leds to arrive, but still have three weeks before the tent is empty. Perfect timing, will keep you posted.
  • Upvote 1

The important question is why do you want to use the led's?

If I had the money to add more light I would add HID lighting to get the most return on my investment.

The only reason I can see to even consider using led's is if for some reason it is impossible to use more appropriate lighting.

Naycha :peace:

There are a few benefits to using LEDS main ones are lower electricity consumption less heat and the LED can Last up 50 000 hrs some as long as a 100 000 hrs so save on money on light bulbs as well

I am open minded and believe its only a matter of time before they do come out with a Led that's just as powerful as a HPS or MH

I think most people on here that tried LEDS used the older style and they just didn't perform and because of that are not willing to try again (which is fair enough )

I have read somewhere on the web (don't ask me where it was a few weeks back ) But I did read that the new latest LED out performed the HPS  but this could be all bullshit as there  trying to sell there Led Light

But I personally belief that it wont be to long before they do come out with LEDS that are just as good

Edited by gunnumganjastyle

I use LED's and think they are great but only if you pay for the expensive ones, by expensive I mean over 2k each.

That said there are a couple of problems that I have come across. 

>>>> Last up 50 000 hrs some as long as a 100 000 hrs so save on money on light bulbs as well <<<<

That may be true but the heatsinks and fans don't last that long, the first two LED lights I bought around 3 years ago are stuffed. I put it down to the moisture in the air.

The problem is those parts can't be replaced cheaply or easily enough.

If it were just the LED's themselves there wouldn't be a problem, I haven't had one fail yet.

The ones I have bought since then are still fine but now I'm wondering how long they will last.

• Upvote 1

Hey cooper  you mentioned that the heatsinks and fans don't last that long and fair point but wouldn't be it be easy to just buy another fan and solder her up ?

Also  what do you mean the heat sink plays up ? Isn't the heat sink just a piece of metal that all the LEDS are glued to and as long as the fan blows on it should all be fine  ? or am I of track here ?