Best place to buy LEDs in Aus?

My understanding is that the efficiency of leds unfounded in comparison to hid lighting. Im happy to be proven wrong and would switch over without hesitation that being that case.

Are there any logs or diaries you fellas could link on the www that give credence to the viability of led lighting?

I had to bite. Twas irresistible lol

Btw all respect for those willing to try out and pioneer this technology and good luck which ever way you go.

Cheers

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'd take the grow box you were given straight to the dump, what a ridiculous way to start a grow, in the wrong size room.... ffs... on the way home stop in at the local hydro shop buy a normal size grow tent, a normal 400HPS, a cool tube, 150mm fan, some coco, some nutrient, a big arse pot.

LED's are STILL not worth the effort AND WON'T BE FOR A LONG TIME.

EDIT .... so you can pull between 10oz and a pound off 400w of LED Cyclops? Is that what they can do? I can get that off a 400HPS but I seriously doubt you'll get anywhere near that off LED's

Edited by bufo marinus
  • Upvote 2

Give it a rest Nibbler, your biased views are well known and unfounded.  Try a decent LED out yourself before you bag them.

I'm very happy with what mine but they did cost.  I will say there are a lot of crap ones out there so do a lot of research before buying one.

And why dont you put up a diary then???? Dont wanna embarrass yaself? Put up or Shut up Cyclops......Plenty here with diaries going..........

You wouldn't cop as much shit as you'd think...... If they bloody worked as good as HID's.

I'm not going to sit back and watch shit grows like Tangwenas, and say "Ooooooh yeah , thats fantastic!" When, the buds are average at best, and it sparks a whole new mob of un-enlightened souls to buy shit panels they think will do what a HID will 100% do.

Anyone on this site that can show me an LED grow thats better than HID lighting for results, and all round health...........I'll shut up............. But I MEAN here, by a member, in a Diary- that goes from start to finish, all under LED. Not starts as an LED grow, that ends under HPS, that proves SFA.

Not some Poo-tube video made by some dodgy pricks, or a grow thats been grown under HPS and then had LED's put over em for the pictures, which happens on Poo-tube so much its not even funny.

Ask some members here if they remember the dodgy prick that showed us his "LED grow"..... and in the background there was a HPS running........ Just Bollocks....

LED's have been "Getting Better" for about 15 years now, and still not there. Also as a holder of an Electronics degree, I know WTF I'm talking about, how about you?

Ask Gavita, who have the best light testing I have ever seen, why they decided to release Plasma lights, and not LED's. I know, because LED's are old Tech now.

Peace. Nibbler

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Looking for a LED in Aus that would suit a 1200Wx600Hx600D small cabinet grow. 2-3 plants. I was thinking I could make my own with a little research depending on what I need.

Are these 120W LEDs any good?

http://ledgrowlightshop.com.au/

Point a fella in the right direction please...

the diy option:

Just in the last year or so, there have been considerable developments with LED, some in the globe itself and more important in the drivers, that are becoming more 'open' in there build, only a very few can you build a unit without drivers, see autocheap for ref. but still dim, the best of the best are cree, from the states and any cree led above 5 watts will do you, just finding the compatible driver and or heat sink is the hassle, many upmarket led lights do with out the heat sink and use pc fans to extract the considerable heat build up, the unit construction is typical sim city style with and life rail and a ground rail running around like a slot car track is very easy unless you wanna go pro, and etch a circuit diagram....lol

Best Junk yard to see is Oatley electronics in Sydney man!!! avoid 3 watt led's at all cost, is what made LED so unpopular ...http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//index.php?cPath=73&osCsid=2888a86249b8b0e08311652dddb20d40

I am currently trialling two Led panels, spectrum r6, b2,w1. both 150w each. doing a tent 1.2 x 1.2.

I believe Led can never match HID they are due to the nature of the design always going to have intensity and penetration issues.

Once you get it deadset clear in your mind that LED is not meant to be a HId or be producing the some output, you can then start to look at the other options.

that being I am only using 300watts now, no heat, no ballast racka racka racka, we are all aware of the benefits.

My personal opinion they are great for veg to save some power. they are great to supplement HPS to reduce a bit of heat and power and good for bringin up youngin's. Put it this way , in flower, if I was full LED in a fair size room I will still be popping in a couple of HPS to top it up.

Until people due to LE , power and heat are sort of forced down the road of LED then the market will keep them ridiculously expensive making them kind of out of reach.

If they were much cheaper then they would be awesome to shove down the bottom, on the sides...hell, line every surface of your room with them lol.

If you can be happy within yourself knowing that you will get less yeild (and that is a given) but you are paying a bit less in power then LED will suit you fine.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I believe Led can never match HID they are due to the nature of the design always going to have intensity and penetration issues.

Once you get it deadset clear in your mind that LED is not meant to be a HId or be producing the some output, you can then start to look at the other options.

that being I am only using 300watts now, no heat, no ballast racka racka racka, we are all aware of the benefits.

My personal opinion they are great for veg to save some power. they are great to supplement HPS to reduce a bit of heat and power and good for bringin up youngin's. Put it this way , in flower, if I was full LED in a fair size room I will still be popping in a couple of HPS to top it up.

Until people due to LE , power and heat are sort of forced down the road of LED then the market will keep them ridiculously expensive making them kind of out of reach.

If they were much cheaper then they would be awesome to shove down the bottom, on the sides...hell, line every surface of your room with them lol.

If you can be happy within yourself knowing that you will get less yeild (and that is a given) but you are paying a bit less in power then LED will suit you fine.

So if your using 300watts and getting less yield due to the penetration issues............. where is the cost saving compared to a 400w HPS?

LED's still produce heat too, not as much as HID but they aren't exactly cool running either....

It's still like comparing fluoro's to HPS, they just aren't up to it.

Like the Hash Nibbler said we see ZERO LED grows that don't end in misery or embarrassment. The easiest way for the LED lovers to prove how good they are is to do a REAL grow diary.... not too much to ask is it? Until then this whole conversation is irrelevant :bongon:

Edited by bufo marinus
  • Upvote 3