Can you use a food dehydrator for drying cannabis?

pretty sure there is some info on here regarding how to harvest/ dry your crop the proper way none of this hair dryer /dehydrator crap do it once do it right i cant belive some people wana use a dehydrator . imo may as well light a fire and sit ya buds next to the fire to me its pretty much the same. imo if you are goin to grow ya own may as well do it the proper way.  people that quick dry cannabis are either desprate for a smoke or have no idea how to dry propley. :bonghit:

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure the OP specifically said in his first post that he is aware of the 'proper' way of doing it, and he was looking for advice on a quick method. He stated he knows what the 'purists' will say, but still requested advice on quick dry and dehydrator.

For what it's worth, my buds dried quickly aren't as bad as some here would have you believe. I am a newb at growing etc, but not smoking...definitely not smoking. I've smoked buds all around the world and have taken holidays specifically for that purpose. So I can say with a great deal of confidence that if a smoke is ok (not great but ok), it is ok for most people. As in it will suffice if in a pinch.

To cut a long story short.....my advice was crap because all quick drying is crap. *slow hand clap, you're a genius for figuring that out.

But that was the question by the OP, so I shared my experience.

• Upvote 1

hey ferret my post was not aimed at you mate it was aimed at the other silly posts saying food deyhradtor buds will be the same as buds done the proper way.  so why have the proper way  to dry and harvest buds on this web site and then go and say buds would be exactly the same as one another got me stuffed. and for what its worth feret you may have smoke cannabis all around the world but to be honest all the smoko ya would of smoked wouldnt of been cured prople wich can make a big difference to taste, smell ect. like i said before only desprate people quick dry bud or people looking at selling it off quicker

• Upvote 1

Ideally, running a dehydrator on the lowest temps untill ya buds are 70% dry and letting the air do the rest would be the go. I find that after sitting the dryer or outside of the bud will draw the inner moisture out, rehydrating any crispy or overdry buds giving an even finish. From memory my lowest setting is 40 degrees, no dif to drying on a hot day, and not hot enough to damage any thc. Running the dehydrator all day you will cook ya buds, it will taste crud and you will be unhappy with yourself, do a trial and error run and see what works best for you. Cheers, KB.

• Upvote 2

Just jumping in to say I think that from observation of how food dehydrates, I would say that it would get the job done and more quickly so - but as some have said you may end up with overly dried greens...even the lower temperatures on a dehydrator are significantly higher than room temperature. 

I guess some people may actually *like* this, and it may have some positive effect on how it keeps, but I strain myself to find anything further positive to it. 

Another thing is the smell. Most dehydrators have a fan extraction or an inlet fan, either way there's air blowing out of there one way or another...having made delicious jerky that I can smell as I walk into the ground floor of my entire (3 storey, I'm at the top) block of apartments, and apples that will permeate past closed doors in my place with their sweet scent, I can only imagine something that smells like the kind of weed you normally buy but fresher, well I'll just say that I don't know how people do it in their places without suffering almost constant paranoia from the smell, and on top of that putting it into a device that would basically heat it and have air moving pretty forcibly around it. I can only imagine it would stink stink STINK.

It would be a funny story to hear, wouldn't it, a person went through the trouble of bringing something up over ?is it? 3 or 4 months or whatever then screwing themselves over by weed fumigating their place. 

One thing I have thought about though, for those that are into edibles - a dehydrator may be just about perfect for decarbing as most of them would have that kind of temperature range on them right?

Of course in this case smell would also be an issue, but at a guess I would say not as much so. Youd probably still want to have a rangehood type thing running right above it. 

Hey Guys

Back from hols about 6 weeks - have been partaking in the fruits of my FIRST crop, for about two weeks now. Ended up that the Sunbeam was too small, and I had to do 'shifts', so I ended up with a whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhole range of fucking dried-ness! The first jar doesn't seem too bad, so must've survived the ordeal.

Thanks to all that gave invaluable advice, having been through the process now, I have a far better idea of what to expect in my 2nd attempt.

To any young aspiring budders, my THREE WORDS of advice to you after being through the experience of my 1st crop is PLANNING - PLANNING - PLANNING...!!!! If you grow indoors, you have to go on HOLIDAYS sometime - WHO will look after the HIGHLY FLAMMABLE grow tent if you go away......? THINK about the time it takes from SEED to HARVEST before you go to the expense (time & money) of starting a grow!

:plant:

If you want to dry real fast using a dehumidifier try putting your buds in a big rubbish bag that has a slit cut into the end.

How to: Seal the slit with tape onto the exhaust from your dehumidifie so its air tight. Add your buds into the bag and close up the draw string on the rubbish bag but so it still allows the warm air to escape.

Your buds will be done in no time.