Can you use a food dehydrator for drying cannabis?

Thanks for the tips, might be best if I do it in my grow tent, or outside. This is my first harvest, and the other half isn't keen on it - plus she's got a nose on her like a fox! Anything I can do to 'keep the peace', so I can have some peace!

I'm sure some of us can relate to that mate.

In this heat your buds won't take long to dry regardless of how you do it to be honest.

I've had mine inside for nearly two days in dark cool (well as cool as it can be in summer) place and they are starting to get crisp already. If I need one in the mean time I'll whip out the hair dryer for a handful.

I recently had my first harvest and can finally attest with first hand knowledge that the importance everyone places on curing here is very much well founded. As each day passes with my herb in a jar it gets better. I would advise on a week in the jar as a minimum, but I can understand......a camels gotta drink.

In this heat your buds won't take long to dry regardless of how you do it to be honest.

I've had mine inside for nearly two days in dark cool (well as cool as it can be in summer) place and they are starting to get crisp already. If I need one in the mean time I'll whip out the hair dryer for a handful.

I recently had my first harvest and can finally attest with first hand knowledge that the importance everyone places on curing here is very much well founded. As each day passes with my herb in a jar it gets better. I would advise on a week in the jar as a minimum, but I can understand......a camels gotta drink.

Thanks Ferret, good tip! Good idea to go to a shop for about a month then - and if mama bear is kind, maybe that's the last time I'll have to shop! Here's hoping!

It'll work, but isn't recommended.

My advice is to use a hair dryer on low for a handful while you're letting the rest dry properly.

I just finished my first grow and have tested the buds at various stages. And there is no doubt that even after 2 weeks in the jar after 4 days of hanging, they smoke at better and gets me higher. Not sure why, but it does.

Can anyone explain the curing reacts of how THCa converts or whatever to THC while curing?

My understanding is that there are several types of THC is the Vegetative stage, THCv and THCa are two of these.

There are litteraly hundreds of cannabanoids including all the precursors. These building blocks are acted on by 'light' and teh quality of light is important because the sun is the ONLY light source to produce ALL the terpines the plant can produce.

After all the building blicks have been produced they then work their way up the pipe of the TRICHROME to form the oily glands on the end. I think the reaction you are looking for is called, Decarboxilation of cannanabanoids. This is where the Thrichrome RIPENS slowly as the THC is still being converted from the stock in the 'green' parts of the bud. By the time this is done the bud tends to look darker even brown, all the THCv/a has been converted and THCd9, CBD CBC and eventually CBN will form.

This occurs slowly over time, using Kerosene Vapour is a trick they use with Tomaoes that also works with the cannanbanoids, tehy help produces some etylene thins that induces flowering.

But patience and O natural is probably the best way.

I read somewhere that a reasonable minimum for a well cured Bud is about 3 months.

The difference is to be experienced, words do no justice.

I hope this helps. Im no expert and Im happy to hear anything contra to what Ive said here

Cheers

Edited by Naycha
took new post out of quotes

My advice is to use a hair dryer on low for a handful while you're letting the rest dry properly.

I just finished my first grow and have tested the buds at various stages. And there is no doubt that even after 2 weeks in the jar after 4 days of hanging, they smoke at better and gets me higher. Not sure why, but it does.

Can anyone explain the curing reacts of how THCa converts or whatever to THC while curing?

Hairdryer...........better than a dehydrater...........your trippin balls mate. lol . 4 days of hanging is not enough, dont care how hot it is, a week is minimum. Slow cool dry always finishes better, and crispy on outside doesnt mean inside is ready. Good way to get bud mould even in the Jars. I learnt the hard way.....

One week is no good for a cure, thats just the period to burp them daily, after that is when the real curing begins. I cure anywhere from 3-6 months, and then vac seal them and into the veggie crisper. Keeps em as fresh as when ya finished curing.... taste 10/10. After 6 months ya wont believe the difference.

THC evaporates over 170-180c Ferret, so ya farkin ya buds up.

hey ferret wait till ya smoking buds that have been curing in glass jars for 6 months the taste and smell so lovely so different to buds that have just been dried then smoked :bonghit:

:thumbsup: Stix knows where its at.......

My understanding is that there are several types of THC is the Vegetative stage, THCv and THCa are two of these.

There are litteraly hundreds of cannabanoids including all the precursors. These building blocks are acted on by 'light' and teh quality of light is important because the sun is the ONLY light source to produce ALL the terpines the plant can produce.

After all the building blicks have been produced they then work their way up the pipe of the TRICHROME to form the oily glands on the end. I think the reaction you are looking for is called, Decarboxilation of cannanabanoids. This is where the Thrichrome RIPENS slowly as the THC is still being converted from the stock in the 'green' parts of the bud. By the time this is done the bud tends to look darker even brown, all the THCv/a has been converted and THCd9, CBD CBC and eventually CBN will form.

This occurs slowly over time, using Kerosene Vapour is a trick they use with Tomaoes that also works with the cannanbanoids, tehy help produces some etylene thins that induces flowering.

But patience and O natural is probably the best way.

I read somewhere that a reasonable minimum for a well cured Bud is about 3 months.

The difference is to be experienced, words do no justice.

I hope this helps. Im no expert and Im happy to hear anything contra to what Ive said here

Cheers

lol , your advice on curing is crap Ferret. For someone been smokin/growin so long, ya really treat ya buds like a Newb. lol

And dunno what happened to ya reply Canna, but was the most informed response, on why we cure.....

Peace. Nibbler.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Nibs.....I understand what you're saying. However my post was made relative to the OP who was looking for fast curing options including a dehydrator.

I wish I could cure for that long as I'm sure you're 100% correct. But, like is said....a camels gotta drink. It's unfortunate, but I had planned for this in my first harvest trying to get self sufficient. My first plant will be smoked up over the next 2 months while the other 3 are curing. By the time I get to the last two, they'll be in jars for well over 3 months. But thanks for your concern.

Use the hair dryer with some common sense obviously. I can place my hand in-between the weed and dryer with no burn or pain so I'm guessing its well below 170 degrees. I'm guessing its closer to 50 degrees. The advantage of the hair dryer is you have a lot more control.

Also Nibs, I am a complete newb at growing and curing, never said I was anything else. But feel free to make assumptions on here regarding every and anyone who doesn't align with your thoughts. Personally, I like to be a happy person.

iTiC.......many thanks for that info. It has given me enough to look into things further for myself. Kudos....

EDIT: apologies if I come across a bit narky. I've just been told I'm doing FIFIO for the next 3 months to NT with a 4 week old daughter at home.....not happy. As usual, all advice is welcomed.

And Stix.....man I'd love to smoke some 6 month cured herb. I know it will be the shizz.......hopefully with my new work arrangement, the positive might be being able to keep em in jars for longer..

Edited by Ferrethead

So, any chance I can get some opinions on my idea of using a food vacuum sealer to store a fresh harvest? Or should I use bottles? Burping, that sounds to me like opening the jar every day for a week...

What's the go man?

:wacko:

Gday runlikehell. I have used those cryvac bags before. The buds got totally squashed and a lot of resin seemed to stick to the bags, although, they are an oxygen free environment..  Maybe for long term storage, but anything under 12months, I would use bottles

For mine using heat to dry cannabis and its definitely  a last resort.  Prefer to use an air conditioner to dry the air if humidity is a problem and  if its not then either hanging the buds in a well ventilated area  to dry over 4-7 days.

I've used a clothes type dehumidifer in a caravan to cure buds due to humidity where temps inside the van saw 40c. Did this to many a time and there was a always noticeable degradation in aroma . I was baking them in reality.

My ideal  cure would be a dark room , humidity  40-60 % temps low to mid 20's for a week with good air.. Then off to cure in an airtight container in some kind of cellar for a couple of months.

Cant speak for food dehmumidifiers as I've not used one.

However Feck! cooking them  post-45427-0-11361900-1359972382_thumb.jpg

:hi:

post-45427-0-38712900-1359969147_thumb.jpg

Edited by -RiverRat-

So, any chance I can get some opinions on my idea of using a food vacuum sealer to store a fresh harvest? Or should I use bottles? Burping, that sounds to me like opening the jar every day for a week...

What's the go man?

:wacko:

Heya Runlikehell =) , Mate you can vac seal buds, but ya still gotta dry em, otherwise they will be too wet. On my vac sealer there is a seal only button. I wait until the vac sealer has pulled out enough air just before it tries to crush everything I hit 'seal only' , that activates sealing strip, no more vacuum. Buds stay un-compressed.

Judging it the first couple of goes is an artform, but after that it gets easier. Now what I do is I dry, put into jars, burp (airing jar for minimum of 1 hour a day) for 1-2 weeks, they ready for storage, then I vacuum seal the whole jar...... problem solved, no more crushed buds... and when ya un vac them, they already in the jar for ya.

Easy Peasy :thumbsup:

Thanks Nibs.....I understand what you're saying. However my post was made relative to the OP who was looking for fast curing options including a dehydrator.

I wish I could cure for that long as I'm sure you're 100% correct. But, like is said....a camels gotta drink. It's unfortunate, but I had planned for this in my first harvest trying to get self sufficient. My first plant will be smoked up over the next 2 months while the other 3 are curing. By the time I get to the last two, they'll be in jars for well over 3 months. But thanks for your concern.

Use the hair dryer with some common sense obviously. I can place my hand in-between the weed and dryer with no burn or pain so I'm guessing its well below 170 degrees. I'm guessing its closer to 50 degrees. The advantage of the hair dryer is you have a lot more control.

Also Nibs, I am a complete newb at growing and curing, never said I was anything else. But feel free to make assumptions on here regarding every and anyone who doesn't align with your thoughts. Personally, I like to be a happy person.

iTiC.......many thanks for that info. It has given me enough to look into things further for myself. Kudos....

EDIT: apologies if I come across a bit narky. I've just been told I'm doing FIFIO for the next 3 months to NT with a 4 week old daughter at home.....not happy. As usual, all advice is welcomed.

And Stix.....man I'd love to smoke some 6 month cured herb. I know it will be the shizz.......hopefully with my new work arrangement, the positive might be being able to keep em in jars for longer..

Impatience and fast drying buds go hand in hand......... there is no way to fast dry buds and keep the quality, or give it time to get rid of its Chlorofil etc, which make it taste 'fresh/young', need those gone before it tastes decent .

Well if you a Newb to all this, dont offer advice unless ya know what ya talkin about. Simple. Peeps know I'm pretty reasonable, some would even say Jovial , but I hate shit advice..........

You waited 3 months to grow it, now show a weeks more patience and enjoy it more, cure it for 3-6 months, and enjoy some of the finest smoke you ever grown, or rush it, fark it up and end up with a pile of mould. Choice is yours..........

:peace: Nibbler