NSW parliamentary inquiry into medical cannabis - due Feb 15

mjbarratt

Question

I thought contributors to this part of OZStoners would be very interested in this inquiry. Here is a quote from NSW parliament media release:

On 22 November 2012, the NSW Legislative Council referred an Inquiry into the medical use of cannabis to General Purpose Standing Committee No. 4. The Committee, chaired by the Hon Sarah Mitchell MLC of The Nationals, includes representatives of the Australian Labor Party, the Greens and the Liberal Party.

The motion to refer the Inquiry to General Purpose Standing Committee No. 4 was put forward by Labor member the Hon Luke Foley MLC, and was agreed to without opposition from Council members.

The Committee Chair, Mrs Mitchell said, 'The Committee will be examining the safety and efficacy of cannabis for medical purposes as well as considering if and how cannabis should be supplied for medical use. In addition, the Inquiry will investigate the legal implications of cannabis use for medical purposes, as well as any other related issues.'

'There is a diverse collection of views held on this issue by the community, and the Committee wishes to hear from the widest possible range of stakeholders.'

Submissions are now being called for by the Committee from interested organisations and individuals. The closing date for submissions in Friday 15 February 2013.

The Committee will to hold two Sydney hearings, in March 2013. Detailed information about the dates and times of these hearings will be advertised on the Committee website following the closing date for submissions. The Committee is scheduled to report to the House by 14 May 2013.

For further information about the Inquiry, including its terms of reference, and for more on how to make a submission, please visit the Committee's website at: www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/gpsc4, or call the Committee Secretariat on (02) 9230 3081

Click here to lodge your submission - before 15 Feb 2013!

And if you haven't already, you can also complete our anonymous study of Australian cannabis growers. We will be using this information to make an official submission to the inquiry so this is another way you can have your voice heard.

• Upvote 11

Not sure if it's been said already but I was talking to someone who was under the impression you have to be a user of medical cannabis to make a submission. This is not the case at all as submissions are open to everyone. A submission can be anything from an essay with facts and references or simply a few paragraphs with your personal opinions on why you think cannabis should be available for medical use. ;)

Absolutely. It doesn't have to be a personal story, although I'm sure those will be considered.

Wish the submissions were public now so I could check out what others have written! Hopefully later they will be.

Remember the submission you made to the NSW parliament regarding the legalization of cannabis for medicinal uses recently? This link will take you to a pdf of the transcript of what occurred on the day of the first meeting. There are several interesting points made by some very interesting people. It is lengthy, but I am sure you will enjoy it..  VIVA LA CANNABIS!!

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/Prod/parlment/committee.nsf/0/4d49df44e639cde3ca257b2c000873d7/$FILE/Transcript%20-%2011%20March%202013%20-%20Uncorrected%20proof.pdf

Transcript - 11 March 2013 - Uncorrected proof.pdf

Edited by MongyMan
Added download of transcript
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Reasonable start imo...

I think it will be a wait and see approach in the short term, with us watching as America grapples with how to implement it in the most profitable and voter palatable form. Med license issuance will be an extremely crucial area and has the potential to influence the whole debate and outcome.

peace

c

Please post a little more than just a link for an opening topic... Only takes an extra couple of seconds to add some relevant text or even simply copy and paste some.

Fair enough OZ.. I was in a bit of a rush when I posted it, I'll throw in an edit now..  I just copied and pasted the articles title, thinking it would tell the story, but due to the length of the title and cropping of characters (understandably) it has come up rather ambiguously. If possible could a mod, or Oz adjust the title to make it more reflective of the content, as I am sure many who are interested will miss it because of the title

• Upvote 2