Rooting booster price comparisons

So i was doing a bit of research tonight on different rooting formulas and decided to work out what rooting formulas work out the cheapest per litre of end solution that you make.

When picking products bottle size i will pick a product that will make as close to 1000L of solution as i can, this will keep the comparisons as close together as possible.

The products we will be comparing and recommended dosages are as follows

Canna - Rhizotonic - 1ml per litre

H&G - Rooting Excelurator - 0.33 ml per litre

CX hydroponics- Regen-a-root - 1ml per litre

Seasol - 3ml to 5ml per litre - this figure is based off what users of this forum are using - i will be using the minimum of 3ml per litre for this comparison.

Great White Mycorrhizal Beneficial Bacteria - 0.1315g per litre (only needs to be used every second week)

Rock Supercharge - 1ml per litre

Symbiot rhizo symbiont - 1ml per litre

All prices are off the cheapest product i could find on ebay, are current as of the time this post was made and do not including shipping costs.

7th place - H&G - Rooting Excelurator - 10.1 cents per litre of solution

6th place - Canna - Rhizotonic - 6.3 cents per litre of solution

5th place - Seasol - 4.2 cents per litre of solution

4th place - Rock supercharge - 4 cents per litre of solution

3rd place - Symbiot rhizo symbiont - 3.9 cents per litre of solution

2nd place - Great White Mycorrhizal Beneficial Bacteria - 3.13c per litre of solution *1*

1st place - CX hydroponics - Regen-a-root - 2.2 cents per litre of solution

*1* Greatwhite price takes into account that it is recommended you only use every second res change, otherwise it would be 6.26c per litre

These cents per litre totals are how much it will cost you to make litre of solution your going to pour onto your plants/put into your tank, this is not to be confused with how much each costs per litre/ml as that number really does not help anyone out in determining what is the most cost effective product to use.

And the winner is... CX Hyrdropnics - Regen-a-root

It should also be noted that:

1. I make no claims that these products are identical when using them at these dilution rates.

2. It might just happen to be that one of these products performs a lot better than the rest which would give you a better bang for your buck - this is not taken into account in this comparison

3. If anyone has any other products they wish me to add to the list (even if its not going to take the winning position) please just ask and ill edit this post and update the results.

4. I am very open to any constructive criticism anyone has about this comparison and will even edit it if someone can show the results are in anyway incorrect

5. You would obviously get different results buying different sized containers, i used the closest sized bottle to one litre i could find for this comparison as i personally thought that to be fair

6. I have no ties with any of these companies.

7. Currently i do not have a favorite product that i personally think gives the best results - i do however encourage active conversation about this.

Edited by Bento
  • Upvote 2

Heya Bentos =) , Mate ya cant judge a product on cost, if ya wanna grow shit on the cheap, grow watercress or buy a chia pet. lol

Sorry mate, but unless ya used all those products ya cant call a winner.... wot the winner of the cheapest ???...........doesnt make sense.

Its like lining up 20 sports cars and a fiat panda and saying the Fiat panda is better cause it costs less. lol

I can see what ya saying, and good effort, but its based on nothing but price, products should be judged on how well they work, then the price looked at later.

Anyway, goodluck. I'll stick to me H&G R/E , Ya pay for what ya get, cheap aint always best...... :peace: Nibbler.

• Upvote 1

Hey Nibbler - i do totally agree with most of what you say, in an ideal situation performance would be the main thing to look at and price would be the second.

Sadly not everyone has this luxury of being able to fork out over $150+ for 500ml of the H&G and price plays a big part of what these people will buy.

This post was not at all designed to tell everyone that they should run out and buy boost-a-root because it is cheap - it does show however that it warrants some experimentation though, especially by those who use seasol because it is cheap and personally feel that all of these sorts of products are much the same.

This thread however just shows a different perspective (one based purely on price) and should be used as part of peoples research on what product they should use, but obviously is not the only thing they should be looking at.

Most importantly though I mainly put this up here as a platform to inspire a bit of debate about these products :)

Edited by Bento
  • Upvote 1

Hey Nibbler - i do totally agree with most of what you say, in an ideal situation performance would be the main thing to look at and price would be the second.

Sadly not everyone has this luxury of being able to fork out over $150+ for 500ml of the H&G and price plays a big part of what these people will buy.

This post was not at all designed to tell everyone that they should run out and buy boost-a-root because it is cheap - it does show however that it warrants some experimentation though, especially by those who use seasol because it is cheap and personally feel that all of these sorts of products are much the same.

This thread however just shows a different perspective (one based purely on price) and should be used as part of peoples research on what product they should use, but obviously is not the only thing they should be looking at.

Most importantly though I mainly put this up here as a platform to inspire a bit of debate about these products :)

Too right Bentos, and its a good thread. $150 is exxy though...more like $132....and thats in backwards land. lol

Maybe another product to look at is Great White Beneficials, they are also what you would term a root tonic, growth accelorator.

Best of luck with it. Peace. Nibbler.

I chucked in great white and it absolutely destorys everything in terms of price because a 32oz container makes a massive amount of solution

I fucked this up and had to go back, change the rules and redo the maths to make this both fair on the other products and fix my mathematical cockup of dividing the wrong way around :P I also made sure to use Australian prices for the product as the other was in us $.

Edited by Bento

may as well add symbiot rhizo symbiont to the list its a nutrient enhancer $80 for 2 litres and its made in wa they have a few other products that i use also use the folair spray and i use there gnat powder as well works wonders might post some pics latter of the great products also that mallow way fella that grow canna for medicine also uses theses products coz they dont affect the end product of his medicines :bongon: