What is my plant trying to tell me?

hey mate when you flushed the expanda clay did you ph ajust it then flush like mad ?coz that seemed to solve my ph swingly all over the show once that was sorted she was apples. also if you are in wa this time of the year it would be very hard to get a decent crop unless you have aircon atm im running mine constanly only portabe unit but keeping temp with in the range with out it i would have some serious problems on me hands all the best with problem solving i hate it :bonghit:

It seems to swing alot imo, but I dont do hydro or tap water (just guessing you do). I add rain water, a&b, check Ph about 5.5, add additives, ph 6.0+/-.2 (lucky I know) even after 5 days my ph is still within range, hardly moves. Once Ph is set I dont need to touch it. I feed and if I check my run off its always Ph 6.2.

Just the way it is for me so thats why it doesnt sit right with me, thinking that there is other things wrong like root rot or similar.

As for the cold it will only slow them down a bit, not that ya temps are too extream that it would affect them enough to complain.

Thanks El Gato,

I think because our systems are so different we experience different pH behaviour. I am guessing you have a resivour you set and forget and then run to waste when you feed. I wouldnt expect my pH to change either over 5 days if this was the case. Sounds like you got your methods humming though.

I do indeed use tap water but because I flood and drain I see pH drift as the plants user water/nutes at different ratios.

What is your humidity like? The air con could be taking too much humidity out of the room, causing plants to dry out.

Hi brick!

Your a thinker! I forgot that aircons act as a dehumidifyer as well. I think I would see a sad expression over the entire crop though if it was a problem. It seems to be only where the 600w globes are

hey mate when you flushed the expanda clay did you ph ajust it then flush like mad ?coz that seemed to solve my ph swingly all over the show once that was sorted she was apples. also if you are in wa this time of the year it would be very hard to get a decent crop unless you have aircon atm im running mine constanly only portabe unit but keeping temp with in the range with out it i would have some serious problems on me hands all the best with problem solving i hate it :bonghit:

Good idea Stix. When I wash mine I stick it in a 20lt bucket that has holes drilled in the bottom. I either hang it up outside and flush with the garden hose or I put it up on a brick in the shower and turn the shower on. I have an awesome shower head that I can turn into 4 paralell beams which you can direct into a cup on the floor if you wanted too. Nice and direct and you can swoosh the head around so it works well for cleaning the clay.

Maybe after I do this I should be sitting the clay into another bucket and filling it with water then adjusting the pH and soaking the balls. Not sure. I am actully thinking of going back to bubbler buckets to limit my clay chores. Its a bit of a pain in the arse.

hey mate , i would just change from clay to perlite \dwc .so you can control what the plant needs . from experience ganja likes to dry out , , it likes to get a bit stressed , it likes to get starving hungry .. it likes fine bubbles and lots of air ,, and it starts stalling when its over fed or over watered.. perhaps one big bubbler with one big yielder in it .. am stoned , but a few ideas for you .

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/11473-my-bubbler/

ev

Edited by everest

hey mr jackson if ya didnt flush with ph ajusted water that would be why you have the ph rising up and down all the time. iv been growing in hydroton / clay balls for 2 years now and i must say i have had better results growing in hydoton / clay balls alot quicker growth than coco. :bonghit:

Yeah man I tried coco a couple of times. Obviously I must be doing it all wrong. I went from bubbler to coco and the slowdown in growth rate was unbelievable. Also, I was smashed by fungas nats. I got some stuff to kill them off which worked, but you had to keep applying it as if you didnt they would be back in 2 weeks time. I even tried to order in these Mosquito dunks off ebay as I heard they would do the trick.

They failed to live up to the hype but then I realised something. Customs had opened the packet. I am guessing to swab it for drugs. I recon they probably also nuked it to kill off the bacteria. So anyway, that was a fail.

I've gone to a flood and drain as its easier for me to leave it for long periods. I was sick of constantly changing nutes in buckets etc.

In a few runs I am going back to buckets tho. Going to modify my flood & drain to keep the buckets topped up and cycle the nute out into the resivor maybe every 2 days or so. Should keep them quite stable. A bit of a cross between flood & drain with RDWC