Stealth cameras

Hi all,

Don't know if this topic has been done, but i could find nothing on here re this subject..I have been ripped off in the bush a couple of times, big time, there has been little access to the girls other than through my own land..So i am looking at friends or neighbours..I recently came across those game trail cameras, [ i think the cops use em as well]..Anyway, they appear to be what i need to solve my problem..I'm after any help i can get to decide about

the right one..Has anybody on here used them or had any experience with them..Other than being busted courtesy of them of course..I'm not stupid enough to put em near my patch, just near the access on to my land..I'll catch the bastards..The price i have dug up is about $350, so i figure its worth the money to get peace of mind whether its a "friend" or not..I just need to know about their reliability and stealthiness, as the one i'm looking at is called "black ops", it supposedly has no noticeable flash due to special leds that emit no light when the flash goes off..Any help at all would be great..

cheers......B.B. twunit

I have used a farm cam and caught people ripping of my house, but that is only any good in the daytime and you have to be lucky to get them in the right position for the sensor to go off, and see a decent picture is pure luck. But it worked for me. There are newer models now but they arn't cheap http://www.farmcam.com.au/?pg=2 I have found through long time experience that it is always someone you know, and knows you and your movements. Best to tell no one, show no one and you will be pleasantly suprised. hermie Edited by hermananian

Thanx for reply hermananian.

The new ones have a very wide field of view re the sensor, and long distance..And as i said, if you get the right one, they take good black and white pictures at night without giving themselves away, due to the new black leds..[Colour during the day]. And there 12 megapixels so they should take reasonable pics..

The main problem i have is knowing which ones are reliable more than anything else..Their all made in China, even the yank ones, so its always going to be a lucky dip..Thats why i'm after anyone who has used them and had a good run, and can advise me..cos i'm a bit dubious about buying a " great wall " camera..

A lot of farmers in rural Australia are buying them to monitor houses, shed and fuel bowsers. The LTL Acorn is popular, it is 12 Mpixel, has infra red flash, can do video, pictures or both, and is good out to 60ft (20M). There are settings that control how long till it activates after sensing movement, to cut down on false alarms (such as moving grass)

They are worth $240 from gunshops, security firms etc.

I have just bought one, and to be honest have only used in trail situations to suss it out. It took some night time pics of roos and foxes. Lots of birds ( I set it up on a watering point)

and a lesson in not putting it where there is lots of vegetation blowing in the wind.

So far it seems good. Small unit, about hand sized, 13cmlong, 5.5cm thick, 8 cm wide, and camouflaged.

No complaints

my mate installed one in his fully fenced patch last year. in a single week it had 150 activations from kangaroos, wild dogs, pigs, wild cattle and goats. Bloody amazing thing. He paid 150 from amazon i think.

There not going to stop you getting ripped but they could give you an idea of who did it. My uncle just fitted his whole property with them as hes only there 2 days a fortnight and shits been going missing.

Never had to use one as yet and hope not to have to. If no one knows you grow or knows where you grow, the likelihood of beig ripped is low, providing you follow commonsense and take precautions. That said, obviously someone already knows you grow and where you grow, so that doesn't help your cause. Good luck on sorting out the issue!

trouble is you have to have time to watch them. I never had a lot of success with mine, just lots of tree branches setting it off and the occational cat and bird. I gave up on mine and take what comes, but its creepy knowing someone knows about your stash. I had someone come in and cut off the large, but immature central buds. I got the rest but it freaked me out and I pulled up one plant, so that if caught I only had one. all was well however and we had a very stoned but enjoyable year.

So what are you gonna do if and when you have a photo of a head....still bad news for you either way, remember you go after him with revenge in mind just don't forget to dig 2 graves...

Far easier for a grower to move his patch, these cameras are used by LEO's and are highly cost effective, $ per prosecution and can be used again on many locations, cops like to stick 'em near grows and vehicular access points in the 'hope' of catching number plates , always a good idea to have a large hat and glasses in the garden for your own protection.

I know of one grower who rigged up a stink bomb to one and his own camera, unfortunately that was before youtube .... lol

An intelligent grower can have some serious fun with these cameras.....wink!

Edited by VOSTOK