NCPIC, hypocrites and dangerous drugs policy

Found this article today, Found it interesting hahaha just confirms my thoughts on the NCPIC

http://networkedblogs.com/D0SIn

NCPIC, hypocrites and dangerous drugs policy

HEMP Party Media Release: 2012 October 4th

At the launch of The National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre (NCPIC) in 2008, director, Jan Copeland declared that the burden of disease due to cannabis use was estimated to be greater than that of HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C combined.

It was an incredible piece of hyperbole, which she tried to justify even though cannabis has not directly caused any deaths, unlike the thousands killed by these blood-borne diseases. The extent of cannabis use in Australia, she explained, meant that the total burden of disease it caused was greater. She suggested there was a growing body of evidence concerning the impact of cannabis use on mental health, and while little was known about the respiratory effects of cannabis, she had concerns there too.

More research had to be done!

Four years have passed, and tens of millions of dollars have flowed to NCPIC and other similarly obscure acronyms like NDARC, QADREC, etc, etc. After all these years and millions of dollars, what have NCPIC found? Where is the proof that cannabis use is more dangerous than HIV, Hep C and Hep B combined??

Since NCPIC were holding their second conference on cannabis in Brisbane, it seemed like an excellent opportunity to investigate. I contacted the Nimbin Good Times to see if they were interested in a report on the conference. They were. I contacted NCPIC but was informed by their media coordinator Paul Dillon that they would not give me a media pass. He offered me media releases instead and said he might allow me to interview their major speakers, if they were agreeable. Not unexpectedly, these interviews never eventuated.

But the public have a right to know! So ignoring the gate-keeping Mr Dillon, I boldly walked into the NCPIC conference, not even bothering to dress in a suit, with my hippy hair, a shirt red as the people’s flag (in memory of Arthur Pike) and with my Cane Toad Times badge as my media pass, and sat there, a conspicuous hippy among the suits at the NCPIC conference.

Surprisingly, Jan Copeland seems to be moderating her message (or does she save the extremism for her media releases?). I was astonished at one stage to hear her refer to CBD as ‘the good cannabis’! Good cannabis?! Good grief! In John Howard’s day, she would have been condemned for sending the wrong message!

Some of the display boards of their research were interesting too. I learned about the ‘Mull hypothesis’. From research on users on the NSW North Coast, NCPIC discovered many cannabis users were using tobacco as spin. The ‘Mull hypothesis’ suggests cannabis may act as a reverse-gateway drug, leading to tobacco use!

The most interesting display board contrasted the incidence of diseases in cannabis-only users, tobacco-and-cannabis users, tobacco-only users, and those who used neither. Not unexpectedly, cannabis-only users do worse than people who use neither cannabis nor tobacco in incidence of emphysema and bronchitis. It is the delivery system (smoking), rather than the drug that causes harm. But cannabis-only users have significantly lower levels of cancer and liver and kidney diseases than the other groups. This is not the sort of information that NCPIC send out media releases on. Maybe the Hemp Embassy should warn those considering giving up cannabis that they are significantly increasing their risk of cancer and liver and kidney disease?

HEMP had organised a picket – the NCPICket – outside the conference on Thursday night and some supporters from Students for Sensible Drugs Policy turned up. Their placards read: #1 Cannabis Problem: It’s illegal; Cannabis: Use Abuse; Cannabis Has Benefits Too; NCPIC supporting black market profits; and NCPIC hypocrites.

The picket was organised for 5.30pm because the bar was due to open at 6.30pm, so some of the conference-goers filled in their time as they waited for the bar to open by talking with the protestors. It was a small sample, about ten or so, but they all agreed when challenged that the main problem with cannabis was the illegality. Asked why they weren’t discussing this at their conference, their defence was that governments wouldn’t listen. One attendee said the picket should be directed at a criminal justice conference, rather than them!

The week before, the national president of the Pharmacy Guild of Australia, Kos Sclavos, had suggested at the Pharmacy Business Network conference in Canberra that pharmacists had the experience to dispense legal marijuana. Mr Sclavos said debate over decriminalising illicit drugs was the number one issue on the health side of politics. He told delegates that while in the capital, he had met with politicians who were looking for a solution as to how drugs such as marijuana could be distributed if they were legalised.

Change is in the air. Hopefully the day is not far off when groups like NCPIC will exhibit the same courage to talk truth to the politicians as the Pharmacy Guild.

John Jiggens.

• Upvote 2

she should be thrown in jail for grossly misleading the Australian public with such bare-faced, unconscionable lies ...

10years in prison and 100 lashes of the Cannabis cane plus electro-shock treatment for her lying problem

can you believe she has been labelled a Professor!!! ... if that is the case iam surely a monkey's uncle

:peace:

Edit; Seriously, its got me beat when we have one Govt. organisation (NCPIC) whoose goal is to prevent and eliminate use of Cannabis,

whilst at the same time we have the Australian Medical Association NT president Dr Peter Beaumont calling for the decriminalisation of cannabis and ecstasy to be trialled in the NT.

surely the NCPIC is an utter waste of taxpayers money and we should all tell our local members of Parliment that we want the NCPIC closed down and taxes spent in a more beneficial way

• Upvote 4

she should be thrown in jail for grossly misleading the Australian public with such bare-faced, unconscionable lies ...

10years in prison and 100 lashes of the Cannabis cane plus electro-shock treatment for her lying problem

can you believe she has been labelled a Professor!!! ... if that is the case iam surely a monkey's uncle

:peace:

Edit; Seriously, its got me beat when we have one Govt. organisation (NCPIC) whoose goal is to prevent and eliminate use of Cannabis,

whilst at the same time we have the Australian Medical Association NT president Dr Peter Beaumont calling for the decriminalisation of cannabis and ecstasy to be trialled in the NT.

surely the NCPIC is an utter waste of taxpayers money and we should all tell our local members of Parliment that we want the NCPIC closed down and taxes spent in a more beneficial way

Couldn't of said it better myself frazz awesome :)

As for Jan, I can't tell if she is stupid or purposefully deceitful.

Jan C (Jan Copeland, NCPIC) is purposefully deceitful imo..

Jan Copeland is happily spending tax payers $'s on furthering her own position and career promoting anti-cannabis misinformation.

This includes money spent on overseas trips paid for by Austtralian tax payers. The pictures I saw posted online from Jan Copeland's last trip had spectacular views from the motel room. Bet it wasn't cheep.

These 'trips' are officially justified as 'research' or 'training' etc.. Not sure how it relates to cannabis in Austalia though? Jan Copeland has made it very clear in the "Questions for Jan Copeland and the NCPIC" thread.that cannabis studies or research methods from overseas have no relavence here in Australia.. Yet Jan Copeland and her friends get free tax payer funded trips overseas to study or learn from it? Sounds like a 'pig trough' to me.

Public fear and racialy based advertising is common place at the NCPIC. The "gunga it's not in our culture" is a prime example of racial targeting by the NCPIC. If it's based on race its racist Jan Copeland. Your adds promote sepratism nothing more.

Anti-cannabis propaganda at all cost forget the science is the NCPIC's mantra and past history which has no signs of changing at any time in the near future.

Yet at the same time...Jan Copeland along with the NCPIC is heavily involved in the medical cannabis industry in Australia. (see link) They are receiving substantial additional tax payers $'s and $250,000 worth of Sativex Tm from Gw pharmaceuticals to test that companies medical cannabis product for them in Australia with the hope it will be approved by the TGA and eventually listed on the PBS.

THIS IN ITSELF IS A SERIOUS CONFLICT OF INTERESTS IMO.

The only way it will change though is if Australia's cannabis community acts....Write letters to your local member asking why we have a tax funded cannabis propaganda centre not an information centre.....DEMAND AN INFORMATION CENTRE

If you use facebook or twitter etc comment on the NCPIC pages. Comment on Jan Copeland's page. Ask them to justify their actions backed with facts and science....show them up to be the people they are.

Comment on their youtube pages...ask the same questions....

If you do nothing nothing will change...

:peace: MongyMan

• Upvote 6

Jan C (Jan Copeland, NCPIC) is purposefully deceitful imo..

Jan Copeland is happily spending tax payers $'s on furthering her own position and career promoting anti-cannabis misinformation.

This includes money spent on overseas trips paid for by Austtralian tax payers. The pictures I saw posted online from Jan Copeland's last trip had spectacular views from the motel room. Bet it wasn't cheep.

These 'trips' are officially justified as 'research' or 'training' etc.. Not sure how it relates to cannabis in Austalia though? Jan Copeland has made it very clear in the "Questions for Jan Copeland and the NCPIC" thread.that cannabis studies or research methods from overseas have no relavence here in Australia.. Yet Jan Copeland and her friends get free tax payer funded trips overseas to study or learn from it? Sounds like a 'pig trough' to me.

Public fear and racialy based advertising is common place at the NCPIC. The "gunga it's not in our culture" is a prime example of racial targeting by the NCPIC. If it's based on race its racist Jan Copeland. Your adds promote sepratism nothing more.

Anti-cannabis propaganda at all cost forget the science is the NCPIC's mantra and past history which has no signs of changing at any time in the near future.

Yet at the same time...Jan Copeland along with the NCPIC is heavily involved in the medical cannabis industry in Australia. (see link) They are receiving substantial additional tax payers $'s and $250,000 worth of Sativex Tm from Gw pharmaceuticals to test that companies medical cannabis product for them in Australia with the hope it will be approved by the TGA and eventually listed on the PBS.

THIS IN ITSELF IS A SERIOUS CONFLICT OF INTERESTS IMO.

The only way it will change though is if Australia's cannabis community acts....Write letters to your local member asking why we have a tax funded cannabis propaganda centre not an information centre.....DEMAND AN INFORMATION CENTRE

If you use facebook or twitter etc comment on the NCPIC pages. Comment on Jan Copeland's page. Ask them to justify their actions backed with facts and science....show them up to be the people they are.

Comment on their youtube pages...ask the same questions....

If you do nothing nothing will change...

:peace: MongyMan

Don't worry i have been Mongy, I also found her facebook page a few weeks ago, I found some interesting and deceiving posts on there, commented, questioned there fudged studies,...next morning no reply and all my comments had been deleted, Now when i search for 'NCPIC' on facebook i cannot find anything, they must of blocked me, Shame speaking the truth, What you serious so she's jetting around the world for what cause/reason! i didn't know this what a crock of sh** they are