Opium Seeds

Hi, im new here and am in W.A but iv purchased papaver somniferum seeds from an over seas website, so if you are in w.a and don't have any rellies than that would be your best option :) its just that usually with the poppy seeds you by from the super marked used for cooking aren't any good because they have been dried/leaked/cooked or whatever they do to get all of the opium out... though i have heard you can by them in supermarkets/nursery's in there raw natural form (the ones that are ment for growing flowers) and not the seeds you see on the top of buns.

Edited by 10tarz8opi10

Here in Tas its a commercial crop and no matter where you go there are endless paddocks of the things, you can see them at times flowering wild on the road verge where poppy trash has been dropped at some time during transport. Some years ago a friend used poppy trash in the front garden of their house and had the cops knocking on the door (and removed the plants), more recently a relative (unaware fo the connection) sprinkled some blue poppy seed around their gardens hoping for some truly organic freebie seed to cook with and had the coppers knocking on her door too but let her keep them. 

On some of the backroads its a laugh to seed the poppy heads by the side of the roads with scratches on them similar to what you see on 3rd world documentaries where they go scratching the things to get the sap out of them.  "Security" is a joke because the stuff is everywhere, often paddocks as far as you can see, including isolated back roads where it's only a metre or two off the bitumen behind a ordinary barbed wire fence.  I imagine it would be dead easy for me to get some and send it as a freebie but being an illegal plant (at least in TAS) I imagine it would break the forum rules. If I remember, I will take some pics of the crops next spring and post them back here.

The stuff is exported all over the world for the medicinal trade, I dont know anything much about them other than they are damn pretty with paddocks of them flowering and they are restricted. In the begining they used to be grown out of sight with cops/private security patrolling the roads but these days no one seems to bother much although you still see the odd cop car on back roads but pretty infrequently.

As I said I dont know much about it and not sure what you mean by synthetics, but "locals" do raid the crops and as ive said, Ive seen heads by the road all scarred up like you see in Docos.

Any way here is a link (if I can work out how to do a link)

http://www.launc.tased.edu.au/online/sciences/agsci/alkalo/popindus.htm

Edited by Eccentric