Greens Party Policies

Ahmen Tom , As much i am against the legalization of drugs such as Herrion and cocaine as most of this board already knows about . Denieing our Impluses would be to ignore they very thing wich make us human :D . I dont see what harm making mj legal would be. Its no diffrent then say alchole, if anything Cannibus can play a more positive role on society then all the affects of what alchole has .

Tom i strongly think if the green's chagned their policy's on A Grade drugs im sure you will get alot more support in the issue .

Cheers

Edited by Cronic_la_jar_jar

Tom i strongly think if the green's chagned their policy's on A Grade drugs im sure you will get alot more support in the issue .

Yeah, the Greens are aware of this but really it is the lesser of two evils, a while back someone wanted me to recover some lost files on their hard drive, I had no idea what they were until I had recovered them (or they would have been unrecoverable), they were recipes for making heroin and methamphetamines that she had got hold of whilst in prison for selling stolen opium poppies to support her own habit. She went to gaol for stealing poppies and came out knowing how to turn them into low grade toxic heroin and with a stronger personal addiction due to the availability of drugs inside, the Greens do not support the use of hard drugs but they do realise that the legal system has had 50 years to try and stamp out their use and has failed miserably, in fact the use of drugs of addiction has dramatically increased in our society during the prohibition age.

The Greens are saying that users are more likely to kick the habit in hospital than gaol as the medications used to help end the cravings of withdrawal will be right there on hand and if drug addicts want to kick the habit they can get effective help a lot easier and the doctors would be able to utilise the drug itself in their programs instead of having to use legal replacements which in some cases are worse than the drug itself.

Some of the other benefits I see are that these drugs will be removed from the black market which in turn would bankrupt most organised crime syndicates, there would be a significant drop in home invasions and robberies as a legal drug can be purchased at the chemist in a regulated manner and not from some shady character that has cut it with toxins to increase profits, rehabilitation clinics would start springing up everywhere creating employment opportunities, a lot of the strain could be taken off the prison system, safe injection rooms would open for IV users thereby removing a lot of the discarded needles from public places and reducing the spread of many terminal illnesses to innocent people and children and schools would have access to more relevant and paranoia free educational aids as a tour of a local drug rehab clinic would deter many youngsters from experimenting with hard drugs.

Basically the policy would mean that the police would be able to ignore users and get after the dealers and manufacturers, the policy only protects the users (victims) of drugs of addiction, not the low life scum that help get them addicted in the first place.

I am strongly against the use of hard drugs myself and would not support this policy if I thought it would increase their use, other countries that have used similar policies have noticed a huge reduction in their use and a massive drop in the crime rate, it isn’t a perfect solution to the problem but it is far better than the current method.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

I saw this thing on TV awhile back (like about 5 years ago) where they had this detox clinic for heroin junkies to break the habit with absolutely no effort on thier part.... What the clinic did was to put them in a coma for a couple of weeks and medicate the body while it was asleep... after a while of this the body gradually heals and the dependance on herion is decreased....so the junkie doesn't have to deal with all the withdrawl symptoms while they are asleep...when I saw that show I thought it was brilliant!!! I think all heroin junkies should do it and I think the govt should make a bulkbilling thing....

I saw this thing on TV awhile back (like about 5 years ago) where they had this detox clinic for heroin junkies to break the habit with absolutely no effort on thier part....  What the clinic did was to put them in a coma for a couple of weeks and medicate the body while it was asleep... after a while of this the body gradually heals and the dependance on herion is decreased....so the junkie doesn't have to deal with all the withdrawl symptoms while they are asleep...when I saw that show I thought it was brilliant!!! I think all heroin junkies should do it and I think the govt should make a bulkbilling thing....

Excellent idea from a physical health point of view, but from a psychological point of view one of the main incentives for staying off the drug is removed and the psychological part of the addiction may still be a problem.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

Hey tom

As good as that sound's and as doable that is. Everybody is blaming governments and blaming the drugs when in reality it's The Individual reaction on the drugs no government can control that no matter what policy they through at us . Sure you can say put them in hospital and yes they are going to recover from it and faster then prison.

But who's to say their still not going to go for a quick fix after that and at who's expensive because if their medical treatment is coming from money I pay as tax sorry but their drug problem is their own issue not myn and I don’t want anybody getting their fix from my hard earned money. However maybe since you’re going to license the sales of MJ how about you use that to pay for it? In their treatment. Also if the offender is arrested a second time should they receive the same treatment or should it then be treated as a criminal offence. As the old saying goes "ONCE A JUNKIE ALWAYS A JUNKIE”. I know it’s not a nice thing to say but it’s the sad truth. Some people are just incurable and I don’t want money wasted on the Incurable and don’t be so naive to think there is no such thing as incurable cause we all know there is.

Tom I believe you guys should take small steps in the drug amendment and just stick to a MJ policy as we all know it works so when they study the affects of it and what other usages it can have. Maybe they might have more open mind to study the affects of a grade a drugs and the impact making it legal could have. But sorry to say I don’t see anybody or any form of government taking this policy seriously with an attempt to make A Grade Drugs more available to the user. I just don’t see how it can be done. Getting rid of the A Grade Drug policy’s would be your best bet in making Mj legal and then shortly after get class A Drugs studied for its affect not only individuals but Society

But who's to say their still not going to go for a quick fix after that and at who's expensive because if their medical treatment is coming from money I pay as tax sorry but their drug problem is their own issue not myn and I don’t want anybody getting their fix from my hard earned money.

I know where you are coming from, I used to see it as their problem too, but I was very wrong there, it actually costs more in public money (our taxes) to put them through court and into prison/work orders than it does to cure them, that is without the cost to the community of the high crime levels and the cost of policing drug users being figured in.

We know prohibition does not work and that there is no easy way to solve this problem, the Greens policy may fail too but no other party has come up with a better alternative yet.

Yeah, the Greens are aware of this but really it is the lesser of two evils, a while back someone wanted me to recover some lost files on their hard drive, I had no idea what they were until I had recovered them (or they would have been unrecoverable), they were recipes for making heroin and methamphetamines that she had got hold of whilst in prison for selling stolen opium poppies to support her own habit. She went to gaol for stealing poppies and came out knowing how to turn them into low grade toxic heroin and with a stronger personal addiction due to the availability of drugs inside, the Greens do not support the use of hard drugs but they do realise that the legal system has had 50 years to try and stamp out their use and has failed miserably, in fact the use of drugs of addiction has dramatically increased in our society during the prohibition age.

The Greens are saying that users are more likely to kick the habit in hospital than gaol as the medications used to help end the cravings of withdrawal will be right there on hand and if drug addicts want to kick the habit they can get effective help a lot easier and the doctors would be able to utilise the drug itself in their programs instead of having to use legal replacements which in some cases are worse than the drug itself.

Some of the other benefits I see are that these drugs will be removed from the black market which in turn would bankrupt most organised crime syndicates, there would be a significant drop in home invasions and robberies as a legal drug can be purchased at the chemist in a regulated manner and not from some shady character that has cut it with toxins to increase profits, rehabilitation clinics would start springing up everywhere creating employment opportunities, a lot of the strain could be taken off the prison system, safe injection rooms would open for IV users thereby removing a lot of the discarded needles from public places and reducing the spread of many terminal illnesses to innocent people and children and schools would have access to more relevant and paranoia free educational aids as a tour of a local drug rehab clinic would deter many youngsters from experimenting with hard drugs.

Basically the policy would mean that the police would be able to ignore users and get after the dealers and manufacturers, the policy only protects the users (victims) of drugs of addiction, not the low life scum that help get them addicted in the first place.

I am strongly against the use of hard drugs myself and would not support this policy if I thought it would increase their use, other countries that have used similar policies have noticed a huge reduction in their use and a massive drop in the crime rate, it isn’t a perfect solution to the problem but it is far better than the current method.

The quoted post has now been confirmed as correct in policy content by a Tasmanian Green member of parliament, he agrees that the policy is not perfect and has given me an insight into future policy making.

The Tas Greens are considering setting up a site similar to this one, the idea was actually started by my showing the Green MP this site and this topic on his previous visit here, it won't be in the close future as due to lack of funding the design and programming work will need to be done by volunteers (any takers) the forum would allow people to suggest policy changes, find out more about the reasons behind polices and more importantly question them. The forums would also be open to all and not just Green members and all useful suggestions would be considered, no matter what the source.

Cronic, believe it or not you, and the others involved in this topic, have made a contribution to the way the Greens operate, especially in the terms of policy making.

Hey tom

I should't aying this but I know what goes inside prison's mate. Sorry to say despite what you believe no government is going to change it all the prison wardens are corrupt well majority of them anyway and the ones witch haven’t been bought off usually have a price one issue witch john Brogden bought up in the NSW state elections trying to fix a corrupt police force witch we all know exists. But yet everybody ignored this and still voted for car witch has a stronger Anti Drug campaign then Howard he wont listen to anybody with a drug amendment especially the greens amendment you know this as well as I do . Allot of shit goes on behind bar's then most people think not just drugs but other shit to I don’t see how a drug amendment is going to fix that problem in prisons .

Yes you are right their more likely to kick the habit in hospitals then prison. But my question to you like before what do we do with second time offenders give them the same treatment or treat them as criminals this is what I mean by the Incurable. Despite how cheap their treatment may be I don’t think we should give second time offenders the same treatment of kicking the habit in hospitals as first time offenders because as we all know Herron junkies will abuse this privilege and wont care and keep doing what their doing thinking its ok . I defiantly think their should be a draw off line were we do prosecute Herron and other A grade drug users and treat them as criminals if they fail to clean up after their first time offence on this new policy.

Like I said before I have habits witch are my habits and I don’t expect the government or anybody on this board to pay for my habit. You are right however in we do need to something about this situation because its only getting to get worse but I don’t see how making the drug more available will work expect for taking off its street value. If anything it is encouraging drug use and I believe their is are better methods of rehabbing Grade A Drug users then making the drug more available to them because lets face it they get it cheaper and their going to think its ok to shoot up and fuck up everybody's lives in a on going cycle .If the greens don’t change this policy or get rid of the grade a drug amendment I don’t see it being taking Serisly in the senate or in the house by any government party .

prison wardens are corrupt

Yeah, just the other day it was on the news about warders at Tasmania's Hayes Prison farm were knocking all off sorts of gear from there, cattle feed, fencing gear and one even took the tractor home.

But my question to you like before what do we do with second time offenders

That is a good question but if they get the proper treatment they are less likely to become addicted again, I suppose that it's a bit like being an alcoholic or a nicotine slave, some get off and stay off, some don't bother and other turn back to them at the first sign of stress, prison doesn't work, maybe medical science can come up with some sort of answer.

but I don’t see how making the drug more available will work expect for taking off its street value.

The quality of the drug would then also be controlled, some of the things that are used to bulk out the street supply are far more damaging than the drug itself, the drug could be purchased and used in a shooting up room using new needles with emergency help near by, needles could be disposed of in the shooting up room instead of in parks, schools and on the beaches and crime would be reduced.