Cannabis an Un-winnable War

• Admin

Cannabis The Un-Winnable War

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/sixtyminutes/images/story_pics/2001_04_08/dope_140.jpg

Richard Carleton in the thick of a lush marijuana plantation.

Watch the Video

It's our biggest cash crop and worth a fortune — five billion dollars a year. The massive resources used to eradicate it are also costing us a fortune.

Marijuana is virtually impossible to avoid in this country. Nearly 50 percent of Australians say they have tried it or regularly use it.

Marijuana sales are twice what Australians spend on wine.

Millions indulge and millions of dollars are spent trying to wipe it out. In the hills surrounding Nimbin, on the north coast of New South Wales, Richard Carleton accompanied the police on a series of helicopter raids.

It is a fight that has all the trappings of war — armed police, state-of-the-art machinery and sophisticated battle plans. Yet, if it is a war, many also believe that it is simply un-winnable.

Source: 60 Minutes

Visit the source site for more on this report and make sure you participate in their poll.

Guest Urbanhog
Yeah I remembered that show pretty well, since I regularly watch 60 minutes. I liked that part when 3 locals were talking about hydros and bush, and one of them offered a joint to Richard, of course he turned the offer down, but it will be a classic if he accepted that joint :lol: