Guerilla growing: a dodgy how to.

Hi Guys,

I'm normally a sit on the side & watch what happens kinda guy, but recently things have started to happen in my life & i feel i should spread my knowledge to those who might want it.

So I thought i'd do a write up for those interested in guerilla growing...

Guerilla growing is not the same as outdoor growing, although it does have some similar ideas behind it. Ideally it is done in stealthy locations, with a minimum number of plants per plot (personally, no more than 10, but if you have the space go nuts!). There is a LOT of walking involved so if you're not fit, by the end of the season you will be. My previous growshave been semi-self sufficient (I left them during december-feb & they were still happily growing past the 7 foot mark).

The first thing to do is think.

What locations are suitable for me?

How do i prepare the land?

Is it risky?

Can i grow more plants?

How often do i have to water?

How can I disguise my grow?

How do I stop animals?

What strains are best?

What's the likely yield?

Harveting how to's?

1. Any location is fine (providing it has ample sunlight during the August - March period). It should be north (ish) facing, preferably on a slight slope to help drainage.

I advise against national parks & public land... due to the high risk of people wandering across your stuff & ripping it up. But in saying this, if you plan it well enough and take the right precautions, I see no problem in growing there.

2. As with any outdoor grow, prep is the key to success. there's no point just dropping seeds in the ground & hoping they pop. I spend these winter months preparing the plots by digging deep holes - around 60cm. I then mix up dynamic lifter, worm castings, blood & bone & some water crystals. this is placed into each hole & mixed in with the original soil.

I don't lug huge amounts of gear in (potting mix, bags & bags of fertiliser), as the idea is to be stealthy. normally one backpack full of "stinky shit" will do one plot.

water in, or do what i do & just wander off into the bush and pretend i'm Bear Grylls surviving on the local vegetation before being rescued by a helicopter full of... dammit, brain malfunction.

(note: i don't clear the entire site, just the area around where each plant will go)

3. It is always risky to grow, No matter where you choose to do it. Guerilla growing is by far my favourite method, as it relies on stealth and is often done away from where you live. But if you put in the hard yards, You will reap the rewards. It is likely you will come across people on your venture, but be prepared. Have a cover story (birdwatching, bushwalking, survival training or my favourite; "Can i have a few moments of your time,I'm doing a plant diversity study for uni. Have you seen any of these plants on your walk today" - hold out pictures to show them. they'll do anything to escape you! :P)

4. Of course! go nuts. i like to keep the individual plots quite small (4mx4m). feel free to make the plots bigger, but they become easier to see the bigger they get. you are better off making a number of smaller plots, just in case one is discovered. That way you split the potential losses..

The plots (in my case) should be a good distance apart ~ 200m. this also lessens more of your hard earned being discovered by do-no-gooders.

5. If you plan it well, not often ~ once a month maybe. But if your soil is no good, or the area is really exposed, you can't help having to water more. Thats where water crystals help out a wee bit.

I also have a lil trick for really hot sunny spots that will dry out: bury a few 2l coke bottles in the bottom of the hole. Fill them with water crystals & have some irrigation tubing coming out the neck to the surface of the ground.(for ease of watering) Then punch holes down one side (the side facing your baby). Voila! self watering hole!. I prepare these at home before i visit the site. I fill the bottles with the crystals (maybe a cm or two in the bottom) and fill one with water. this will give you an idea on the holding ability of your brand of crystals. (bunnings had gel balls a while ago dirt cheap. outside near where they keep bonsais). different colours too! I mixed these in too (they held together a lot longer than the standard stuff.

6. Noxious weeds! thats how. Blackberries, lantana & bamboo are great for disguising, as they have a similar leaf colour & deter anything that tries to enter - animal, or manimal. (and womanimal, can't be sexist now :P ). Also by only clearing a hole for each plant, rather than the entire site, is another way of ensuring security.

7. Being a guerilla grow, there is no chicken wire on mine :S I rely on chilli powder, mixed with scat (dog & cat repellant). If you have a dog, collect its shit. I hate stepping in it! So do roos & wombats. I think they hate the smell too :P. I also mark my territory around each site. (stinky man-piss works wonders with scaring off wombats & roos). You may get the occaisional plant knocked over as i do... but i always expect losses so it's no big deal. be creative!

8. I can't say. I am no botanist, so i can't tell you for sure what will work best in your area. But, what works for me are my old favourites: Thai x skunk, blueberry, purple kush & a mad skunk (original skunk x white widow). Experiment with your site & see what grows best. I have been experimenting with different strains for years & will continue to do so.

9. It WILL be less than what you could grow off a hydro setup. but that's no biggie, as you need that other room for your home brew & alcohol still!.

maybe 200g per plant (if it goes well).

10. Take a big backpack with multiple garbage bags (you can't expext to dry it all out on site now, can you?). several pairs of scissors - i also take grass shears (think of reaaaaaalllly big scissors).

de- leaf & trim on site. stuff good bits into garbage bag. stuff garbage bag into garbage bag. stuff garbage bag into garbage bag. 3 should be enough. If you feel like keeping the leaves, go for it. but it will mean more trips out there. i just bury them, and mark the hole. (compost for the next year's gardening)

11. i'm sleepy & hungry. need food before stomach eats itself :P

Hope this novel has inspired some to get out & about, greening the land as they go!

I'm not on here much, so replies will take forever.

Feel free to add your own experiences & ideas for the masses.

Knowledge is power. everyone needs power!

• Upvote 6

5. If you plan it well, not often ~ once a month maybe. But if your soil is no good, or the area is really exposed, you can't help having to water more. Thats where water crystals help out a wee bit.

I also have a lil trick for really hot sunny spots that will dry out: bury a few 2l coke bottles in the bottom of the hole. Fill them with water crystals & have some irrigation tubing coming out the neck to the surface of the ground.(for ease of watering) Then punch holes down one side (the side facing your baby). Voila! self watering hole!. I prepare these at home before i visit the site. I fill the bottles with the crystals (maybe a cm or two in the bottom) and fill one with water. this will give you an idea on the holding ability of your brand of crystals. (bunnings had gel balls a while ago dirt cheap. outside near where they keep bonsais). different colours too! I mixed these in too (they held together a lot longer than the standard stuff.

anyone have any idea what size / how many holes one would punch in the side of the coke bottle for this watering method?