Mould resistant strains? Please help me

hey guys been have not posted for a while now , good to be back lol

i'm having some issues with mould wondering if any experienced growers know of some mould resistant strains

I'm maxed out air induction/extraction due to setup and c/f

i'm also maxed out air circulation

i'm in a tropical climate and run lights on at night

i only have issues in the last 8-10 days

i'm pretty sure its Botrytis and being so late in flower not willing to add additives

ive pulled everything down between grows and bleached the room

ive reduced my box footprint from 4 down to 2 plants only but it always ends the same me pulling them early due to rot :hunter2:

my strains to date have been white widow,aurora and ak47 i found ak to be the worst of the lot

so from another angle i was thinking to go for a mould resistant strain if available short of that a small bud/ airy non tight cola bud.

hope this makes a little sense to somebody :twiddle: ive had a little too many tokes today lol

Cheers for any help

bud.g

Carefully examine your flowers (especially the densest ones) to look for signs of gray mold. It’s hard to detect because it starts at the inner stem and eats its way out. The main signs you’re looking for are individual, isolated flower leaves or hairs that rapidly turn brown, curl up and dry out, or a portion of a flower that turns black or grey, or becomes gooey or webby overnight. It’s ugly, and it’s scary- because gray mold undetected can rot a grow room full of flowers overnight.

When you find a telltale ruined leaf or other signs of gray mold, use tweezers or some other probing implement to peel back the outer layers of floral cluster so you can see the extent of the damage. In most cases, the moldy area will be less than 50% of the total flower mass.

Some growers try to approach this as a doctor approaches a cancer tumor- cut all of it out, and hope you got all of it, and that it doesn’t spread. Unfortunately, that hope is often futile, and the safest thing you can do when you detect gray mold is remove the infected plant to another room fast. Turn all the fans off. Cut the entire affected branch or branches. Throw them in a clear alcohol such as gin or vodka, which will extract THC from the buds and eliminate the gray mold too.

Or put the cut plant parts in plastic bags and dispose of them safely as soon as possible. Quarantine affected marijuana plants for several days to see if mold returns. Never allow plants that have been infected with gray mold to come into contact with plants that have not yet been infected.

Any time you work with a plant that has gray mold, sterilize all your equipment that touches that plant. Change your clothes and shower after coming in contact with gray mold, before you go back into your grow room.

Some people advocate using fungicides or other industrial agriculture materials to fight gray mold. But you’ll be smoking what you’re spraying, and it will hurt you. As a preventive very early in bloom cycle you can foliar spray your plants with Piranha liquid beneficial fungi, but don’t be tempted to use fungicides and other toxic materials on your marijuana flowers.

Another preventive tactic is to research marijuana strains to find out which ones are prone to gray mold, and which are resistant. Many hydroponics cannabis growers have a generic and somewhat accurate understanding of this: dense, phat Indica buds are prone to gray mold, but long, thin Sativa buds aren’t.

If you live in a high humidity area, haven’t got a sealed grow room, see high humidity (above 55%) in your hydroponics grow room and are growing Indicas that are known to be gray mold magnets, you’ve got some serious thinking to do as you proceed in your medical marijuana growing.

thanks for your post brick!

that is pretty much my situation ive picked up on the dying wet brownish leaves a couple grows ago but my nose picks up the faint scent before anything now, i cant describe it but the faint slightly sweet smell is a magnet for my big nose now and i smell it -search for the dry(wet)leaves cut the cola there to be sure , cry a little then harvest .

and the rest of the mould gets found that night as i trim the colas right down to the cola stem to find the "inner" mould throw the affected bits away and slightly aggressively dry the rest out .

i end up with slightly under matured buds (not to immature though) and that scent slightly taints the whole grow and normally dry because i don't want it continuing so i miss out on the whole curing process. i can taste the smell (if you know what i mean)

and after smoking so many oz of this tainted smoke i can smell it anywhere.

a straight sativa is a great suggestion i think :) i may just have to look at tipping it or increasing my headroom !

i've had a look the the strain guide but unable to find a strain less susceptible to grey mould.

sounds like you have had some experience with this devil ? have you found any strains handle these conditions better?

ive spent 18 months trying to correct this problem and hoping to learn off someone elses experience cause im at my end...

its a shame because other than that my yield quality smoke im overly happy about i just need to hit this on the head !

i recently traveled to PNG and was lucky enough to bring some PNG gold seeds back with me they were wild bush seeds (not that great a smoke)

but its slightly more humid there where i am so am hoping this will help :(

sorry to blab on but cheers anyway for replying :)

bud.g

got that from another site. So i don't take any credit. Have had mouldy buds outdoors, cut the whole branch off very carefully, did not spread. baking soda will work, it smothers the mould spores and is not harmful to other parts of the plant. at least you can use the bad bits by soaking them in high proof alcohol. i just made butter out of the mouldy heads

apart from Sativa dominant strains, are there really mold resistant strains?

do Breeders test strains by raising humidity levels above 70% just to see which plants do not get mold and select those above the others .. personally i doubt it

Budgiekk it is going to be a battle for you as you grow in a tropical environment, surely this must force your hand to select Sativa dominant strains

I understand AK47 has very tight large colas which i would have thought very suspectable to mold in high humidity, which is a shame considering it is such a fine strain

sometimes ive had mold issues when i grow for weight, and i havent found any sativa/indica hybrids any better than the next one,

even though im not in the tropics ive had some issues outdoors in late April with hot humid weather and realise how heartbreaking it is to go all the way till nearly harvest only to see those larger fan leaves on some colas tell me i have mold within the bud, and of course mold spores are so easily carried on the wind its a growers nightmare

and a challenge for sure, but hope you have some success in finding a good strain for your situation, let us know if you find that special one .. aye

:peace:

Hey budgiekk

i had a really high humidity level in a northern lights cross big bud grow, they didnt get mold ever.

seeds are over $20 each i think. i'm not going to promise that this will be your answer.

I also watched a friend grow a few small skunk plants all year round and they sat in the rain

in the wet season without any mould. I can't tell you what strain of skunk it was either, I have been

asked before. I only witnessed the plants in their glory as a bi-stander.

Hope this helps you get an idea of where to look.

the.weed.fisherman

cheers guys

yeah i'm just going to go for a sativa i think, ive reduced my yield by half already 4 down to 2 plants and may reduce it a bit more with a smaller bud type strain i would rather only get 2 oz of mould free buds

i did grow aurora b- from memory was northern x skunk1 ? i did have issues but not as bad as the ak47 ,

i'm thinking about looking into a dehumidifier i have an aircon i run in the last 2 weeks sometimes but its not climate control and doesnt stabalize humidity

i have no issue paying another 1k if i fuk off the mould issues .

Happy growing!

bud.g

Ive never heard of anyone losing a crop of pineapple chunk due to mold,barneys farm reckon its disease and mould resistant,but as Frazz said i doubt very much they tested this theory.maybe you never know,but a huge yielder and good all round strain imo,indica dominant though

KK