Vaping vs bonging

Another vapor fanatic here. I used to be a daily bong guy, and still enjoy a bong hit occasionally if the bong is freshly cleaned. After switching to vapor a few years back, I noticed I could breath a lot better during physical activity, felt as though my lung capacity/efficiency went up. The other thing I noticed straight away was the flavour! With vaporizing, I can sometimes identify the strain from the flavour alone. Amnesia Haze in particular is unmistakeable. I love tasting all the pure flavours of the herb that a vaporizer can deliver.

I agree with what others have said, there is a bit of a learning curve to using a vaporizer. And because of the relative smoothness and clearness of the vapor, a lot of heavy bong-hitters often feel like they're not getting anything from a vaporizer. But in my experience, they just need a few more hits, some patience, and then bingo! I also agree that the high is slightly different with a vaporizer, but I much prefer the vaporizer high. It feels a little cleaner to me, and without that tiredness/headachy feeling afterwards.

I lived in Amsterdam for years, before recently moving back home to Melb. I was a vaporizer tester/reviewer for one of the biggest headshops in Europe, so I have extensive experience with MANY different and rare vaporizers. Maybe I can offer advice here, to fellow Aussies curious about vaporizing.

My current collection:

Magic Flight Launch Box

Herborizer Sphere XL

Herbalaire 2.1

Wychwood

Da Buddha

Other vapes I've extensively tested:

Volcano

De Verdamper

Thermovape T1

Plenty

Puffit

Pax Ploom

Vaponic

Vaporstar

Not showing off, but more to let people know they can ask me about any of these models.

Another vapor fanatic here. I used to be a daily bong guy, and still enjoy a bong hit occasionally if the bong is freshly cleaned. After switching to vapor a few years back, I noticed I could breath a lot better during physical activity, felt as though my lung capacity/efficiency went up. The other thing I noticed straight away was the flavour! With vaporizing, I can sometimes identify the strain from the flavour alone. Amnesia Haze in particular is unmistakeable. I love tasting all the pure flavours of the herb that a vaporizer can deliver.

I agree with what others have said, there is a bit of a learning curve to using a vaporizer. And because of the relative smoothness and clearness of the vapor, a lot of heavy bong-hitters often feel like they're not getting anything from a vaporizer. But in my experience, they just need a few more hits, some patience, and then bingo! I also agree that the high is slightly different with a vaporizer, but I much prefer the vaporizer high. It feels a little cleaner to me, and without that tiredness/headachy feeling afterwards.

I lived in Amsterdam for years, before recently moving back home to Melb. I was a vaporizer tester/reviewer for one of the biggest headshops in Europe, so I have extensive experience with MANY different and rare vaporizers. Maybe I can offer advice here, to fellow Aussies curious about vaporizing.

My current collection:

Magic Flight Launch Box

Herborizer Sphere XL

Herbalaire 2.1

Wychwood

Da Buddha

Other vapes I've extensively tested:

Volcano

De Verdamper

Thermovape T1

Plenty

Puffit

Pax Ploom

Vaponic

Vaporstar

Not showing off, but more to let people know they can ask me about any of these models.

Hi there, I would love some advice on what vape to get. I used to have a SSV but found it just took too long. I smoke out of the way 'commando cone' style hence I can't just sit around my living room chipping away. I also am one of those people that will cough a lung up smoke straight regardless how much I'd like to and try. So basically I'm after something that's relatively quick and easy...and of course is good value for money. I can't justify 3-400 bucks on something whereas 200 is probably ok.

Hi there, I would love some advice on what vape to get. I used to have a SSV but found it just took too long. I smoke out of the way 'commando cone' style hence I can't just sit around my living room chipping away. I also am one of those people that will cough a lung up smoke straight regardless how much I'd like to and try. So basically I'm after something that's relatively quick and easy...and of course is good value for money. I can't justify 3-400 bucks on something whereas 200 is probably ok.

hi Ferrethead! Let me ask you a few questions. When you say 'commando cone' style, do you mean you prefer to take one quick, large hit, get it over and done with? And is that for stealth reasons, to minimise chances of getting busted? Or because you just want to get high, with the least possible messing around with gear?

When you say that you always cough when smoking straight - does that mean you would typically mix tobacco and weed to smoke in a bong?

Yeah mate I 'spin' with tobacco so I don't cough. Been smoking for years and can pull as big a spun cone as anyone....just not straight. Which pisses me off cause I really would like to.

I smoke in my garage where its cramped and hot as I have kids of whom are too young to understand, but I'm not going to put it in their face etc. So I can't sit, chill and nibble away at something, I'd prefer it be relatively quick. With the SSV I felt as though it took too long to heat up and consume a decent amount. Loved the taste though and the obvious benefits of not consuming large amounts of smoke everyday.

Maybe I just need to man up with straight weed, and take the time that the better high deserves. I think the point someone made earlier regarding a bong being like a a smoker giving up ciggies and you gravitate towards that instant rush/hit is absolutely correct. I'm wanting to change my habits in that area but before dropping decent money it'd be good to hear the differences from someone like yourself.

Thinking of going something with a bag this time round like the extreme Q vape.

Edited by Ferrethead

Ok, I'm glad to hear that you'd like to go straight and skip the tobacco. I'd totally understand if you were mixing because you like the effect/taste of the tobacco, as plenty of people smoke ciggies as well as cannabis, and theres nothing wrong with mixing two things you enjoy. Its like bourbon and coke. But if you're only using tobacco to 'soften' the weed so you don't cough, I think there are much better solutions out there. Couple of pointers I'd like to give you -

Many people find that the dryness and warmness of vapor is what causes coughing. The dry vapor seems to set off the irritation response in your throat. So running the vaporizer through a bong can help reduce the urge to cough, because it cools and moisturises the vapor. Using warm water in the bong makes the vapor a little steamy, which is even softer on your throat.

Personally I find that coughing is 95% related to the potency of the vapor. This is obviously the same whether you're vaping or smoking. If you're taking milky, thick hits, you're more likely to cough. Whereas wispier, lighter vapor is much less likely to give a cough response. Finding that balance takes practice, and is dependant on the vaporizer model. Some vaporizers run hotter, or different designs just give stronger vapor. It all comes down to knowing your vaporizer, and also knowing your body (how much you can take without coughing). As I'm inhaling vapor, when I feel a ticklish feeling in the back of my throat, I know its time to stop the inhale. If I keep going past that point, I will cough. It takes a bit of practice and self control to recognise that 'point of no return'. Having said that, I'll add that I do cough at least once or twice during a session, but thats because I like to take big, strong hits, and I'm not really worried about the coughing.

'Cough or not' really comes down to how much you inhale, theres not really a way to beat this. By mixing tobacco with the weed, lets say 50/50, it means there will be 50% less weed in the bowl, so therefore you won't cough as much. But, why not just fill the bowl halfway with pure weed, and try taking slighly smaller inhales? The same amount of weed goes in the bowl either way.

I have a Da Buddha vaporizer, which is the same internals as the SSV. Its a shame you don't have the SSV anymore, maybe I could have helped you to get more out of it. I usually leave Da Buddha switched on all day, so its ready when I'm ready. Theres no issue with leaving it switched on for hours (this applies to a lot of vaporizers, they are designed to be left on). I've also left the Buddha switched on overnight without any issues whatsoever. If the SSV in your garage was already switched on, and turned up to a moderately high temperature, there would be zero setup time. Load the bowl and inhale, done! If you used a high temperature, it would give a strong vapor which would get you stoned very quickly, so you could be in and out of the garage in a couple of mins. Unfortunately, strong vapor (or smoke) is more likely to make you cough, theres really no way around that. If you were finding the SSV wasn't delivering fast enough, you could have tried raising the temperature (although maybe you did try this?)

Warm up time is a factor with all vaporizers. The solution (if you're a multiple times a day user) is to use a vaporizer that is designed to be left switched on for long periods of time. You can turn it on in the morning while you make coffee, and turn if off before you go to bed. If you're a once-a-day or less user, the best solution is to turn on the vaporizer ahead of time. Then you can come back in 15 mins, the vaporizer is hot and ready to go.

Vapor takes a little longer for the lungs to absorb than smoking, and also seems to take slightly longer for the THC to reach the blood stream. You have to hold it in your lungs at least 5 seconds, but the longer the better. I take a few long deep breaths before a hit, so I'm not lacking oxygen and can hold the hit for 10-15 seconds or more.

For a while I lived in a room rented out by an old-ish Dutch lady. I didn't really want her hearing me coughing all the time, so I would keep a towel or a pillow nearby. If you're going to cough, you can hold the towel/pillow up against your mouth/nose/throat area. This muffles the volume of the cough considerably. Could help, especially while you're learning the 'sweet spot' of your vaporizer/cough response. At least when you can't avoid coughing, its less likely people will hear it, and it would sound very muffled as though it was coming from outside.

The Extreme Q is well recommended. I've handled one, played with it, switched it on etc, but not actually vaporized with it. I can say the build quality is excellent, and most users are very happy with it. Its around half the price of a Volcano, yet does the same thing and a lot more. The Extreme Q can be used in direct-inhale mode like a SSV or Buddha, and it can also fill bags like the Volcano. Filling a bag takes a minute, so there is a bit of waiting. But once the bag is filled, you can pop on the next bag while you inhale the first. The bag system means you can inhale as fast as your lungs can handle, there is no bottleneck like the whip-tube of the SSV. The Extreme Q is also pretty easy to hook up to a bong.

I'd also like to add - Since you have a family and are not wanting to expose them to the cannabis thing (I understand this completely, and have been in that situation with an ex-girlfriend who hated weed and stoners) Theres another HUGE, HUGE benefit to vaporizing, which is the smell factor. Vaporizing only leaves a very soft smell in the room which dissapates in minutes. As opposed to smoking a bowl of high quality weed, which can be smelled from a mile off, and the smell often stays around for hours. Smoking weed also leaves a detectable smell on your clothes and your breath. I worked this out because my ex-girlfriend would give me 'looks' when I came back inside from smoking a quick bowl in my glass pipe. She could smell the weed smoke coming off my clothes and on my breath. Vaporizing does leave a slight weedy taste on your breath, but its FAR more subtle than the smokers breath. Quick brushing of teeth and its gone.

Hope my response isn't too long and rambling. I'm a serious vapor geek as you can tell! Let me know what you think about all this, and any questions you might have :)

• Upvote 3

Dude.....thanks for the detailed Rensselaer I very much appreciate it.

The coughing thing is something I've been struggling with for 10 years. I was a cigarette smoker for years which I don't think helps the situation. I've also been led to believe that mixing tobacco with weed reduces the flash point of the bowl as a whole making it easier to smoke. It me stuffed, I've tried everything and more that you've suggested, and I think it's just something I need to eat used to. Nibbling at straight gear isn't as satisfying as pulling a large bowl in one hit. Thgh I can see the tobacco probably adds to the rush.

On another note, I only recently realised what a 'bowl' means, I've always called it a cone. Looks a lot more like a cone than a bowl in my book. When I was younger I'd listen to rappers talk about smoking a bowl and I'd think 'wow, these guys are hardcore...sheesh, smoking a whole bowl before breakfast', as in a proper chop bowl full. I was a little disappointed when I realised they are just like normal smokers. :)

I think I'm going to get the Q. It seems better value than the SSV at the moment and I like the idea of bags.

Thanks again resist, big rep.

Edit: in case you're wondering, I write these responses on an ipad which is why words randomly change etc. apologies in advance for all the dodgy posts I'll no doubt post over the years.

Edited by Ferrethead

On another note, I only recently realised what a 'bowl' means, I've always called it a cone. Looks a lot more like a cone than a bowl in my book. When I was younger I'd listen to rappers talk about smoking a bowl and I'd think 'wow, these guys are hardcore...sheesh, smoking a whole bowl before breakfast', as in a proper chop bowl full. I was a little disappointed when I realised they are just like normal smokers.

Bowl is the american name for a Cone... and most yanks use a screen in their bowls too.

...returning to topic...

Da budda is still sounding like my next vaporiser purchase

Bowl is the american name for a Cone... and most yanks use a screen in their bowls too.

...returning to topic...

Da budda is still sounding like my next vaporiser purchase

Hey there MT, what is the reasoning behind you opting for Da Buddha? I'm wondering if those magic fight launch boxes are any good....but when looking at under 200 for an extreme Q its hard to beat that for value.

Edited by Ferrethead

Personally for a quick hit in the garage I recon can't go past the Magic Flight Launch Box..... battery operated vape, handheld, vape in 5 seconds, fits in ya hand, stash away after, batterys on charge....done. I Also made a bong extension for mine , but rarely use it.

Vapes are better for ya, but old habits die hard, and nothing gives me the kick and taste of a fresh bowl in a clean glass bong........... heaven...........Vape is awesome stealth though.

Peace. Nibbler.