Sex change mechanism in Auto's

Hi, all.

Have been reading alot about auto's and have found one of the common occurences is 'feminized' seeds 'turning' male

because of stress.

Conversely this would mean that masculinized seeds would turn female under the same stress..?

If not, then this would mean that there is something about the nature of the plant that 'wants' it to turn male, presumably for survival purposes, though I can't see the advantage for the plant in this.

I don't understand the mechanism behind stress induced sex changes and (after the small amount of research I've done mehe) am starting to doubt that there is one.

Could this not be seeds being sold which have been bred in a manner which in't a conduit to a high female percentage?

Or maybe I have got it all topsy-turdly.

I don't want me Fem Auto's goin' ballsy on me.

Any thoughts anyone? or even better, an article or something about the mechanism behind this?

Cheers,

Tonefish.

All it comes down to is a bad batch of seeds. They have to manipulate fem seeds they dont just grow female. It is all a gamble with buying seeds. Better of gettin some regular autos let them seed and reep the benefits. Then next season just rip ur males. Or the other road would be to learn how to make female seeds. Which I have yet to research so can't tell u how its down. It is on my list of things to do though :P

Hi, all.

Have been reading alot about auto's and have found one of the common occurences is 'feminized' seeds 'turning' male

because of stress.

Conversely this would mean that masculinized seeds would turn female under the same stress..?

If not, then this would mean that there is something about the nature of the plant that 'wants' it to turn male, presumably for survival purposes, though I can't see the advantage for the plant in this.

I don't understand the mechanism behind stress induced sex changes and (after the small amount of research I've done mehe) am starting to doubt that there is one.

Could this not be seeds being sold which have been bred in a manner which in't a conduit to a high female percentage?

Or maybe I have got it all topsy-turdly.

I don't want me Fem Auto's goin' ballsy on me.

Any thoughts anyone? or even better, an article or something about the mechanism behind this?

Cheers,

Tonefish.

heya Tonefish =) , obviously you been reading a lot of crap, cause no-one should be as confused over fem seeds as you seem now. Not your fault, just a lot of shit on the net.

Ok, lets set a few things straight.

1) A female cannabis plant CANNOT turn male, it is a physical impossibililty....However.........

All female Cannabis plants carry the ability to reproduce using only itself, this in nature means if the plant flowers , then is getting to the end of its cycle it may throw what we call 'Bananas', these are long thin greeny/yellow 'male' flowers . This is a survival mechanism.

The male flower fertilises the female bud and WALLA! you get seeds.....though these seeds have a higher percentage of Hermie seeds to female seeds.

2) You can make a female plant produce Bananas by stressing the plant in flower or leaving it too long in flower. There is a mechanism in Cannabis that reacts to stress, so if the plant is having a rough time, it makes its own seed before it dies.

Mate, try not to get confused, theres a lot of shit out there. Just grow em, you'll be fine. Auto on 18hrs light 6 hours dark will go well.

If ya get a Male in Femmed seeds....They not Femmed seeds....somebody messed up. lol . Best of luck. Nibbler.

All it comes down to is a bad batch of seeds. They have to manipulate fem seeds they dont just grow female. It is all a gamble with buying seeds. Better of gettin some regular autos let them seed and reep the benefits. Then next season just rip ur males. Or the other road would be to learn how to make female seeds. Which I have yet to research so can't tell u how its down. It is on my list of things to do though :P

I'd like to see you do a grow diary here BTL . would be interesting.......

• Upvote 1