Hey there,

Putting together plans for a new grow box, I'm going to be building this from scratch and somewhat needs to be stealth, the dimensions for the box will be 2ftW x 3ftL x 3ftH giving a total of 6ft squared, I will be growing from seed in 70/30 coco perlite (hand watering) and will be using this space for vegging and flowering.

My concern is lighting this box, last grow (1st ever grow) i managed to grow 1.7oz off 3plants scrogged in a box 2ftWx 1ftLx 3ftH using only 24W CFL's 3x 6500k for vegging and a combo of 6x 2700k and 2x6500k for flowering (70/30 coco/perlite, hand watered) i was running 2x 120mm computer fans for extraction and 1x 120mm on intake, i had real trouble keeping this setup temp under 30C through out the summer months.

I am tossing up running 4x 130w 2700k CFLs for flowering giving ~32000k total lumens, ~5333K per sq Ft. Still running computer fans and the possibility of a perspects barrier between lights and grow space acting as a make shift cool tube.

Or going with a HPS, i have no experience using HPS and am concerned about usable grow space and heat with a hight of only 3ft?

Want to try avoid building another oven =@ , any one with any tips or ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers OG purp

Hey Naycha,

Yes i can afford a 250HPS w cool tube but unable to vent air out of the room at the moment due to stealth reasons, I can have an open window to room tho, would the 250 be able to cover the whole canopy or would i need supplemental lighting on the sides? also would there still be enough room between the scrog net and the light for sufficient growth?

thanks for the reply bro

400 watt cooltube, just vent out of the box into the room will be fine, a 400 wattglobe will never heat up a normal size bedroom, as for space between the light and the plants i have had plants touching the cool tube glass with no burning whatso ever :)

And if ya got the csh slap out 40 bux for a 150mm inline fan to vent the cool tube and use ya computer fans for the box it self:)

Thanks for the tip pisspotgrower, would you have the inline fan pushing or pulling thru the cool tube?, have been doing a little more reading on 250HPS and 400HPS and along as i can keep temps down there should be no reason i can't get the light within ~13cm of canopy, also if i go with the 400W and use a digi ballast and then use a 400W MH retro bulb for veg? A little more reading to do yet, but appreciate the help guys.

Being a samll distance from light to fan i would have it pushing the air as so not to draw to much heat onto the fan itself but in longer distances this doesnt apply as much.

Asfor ya lights em sleves i only have magantic balast atm so i use a Mh for veg and hps for flower but if ya got the digi ya well on ya way bro. n that will be fine...not much to do now mate....just put clone or seed in pot n start growing :) trust me its easy as man and aint happen overnight and also is a very forgiving, plant very hard to kill with neglect so as long as ya got ya gear get it going n all the good peeps here will guide ya as ya go

Hey OG nice lil setup u got goin there.

So by stealth who are u tryin to hide from. How'd the odour hold up for ur first grow. Great job for first grow aswell 1.7oz from cfl for first time lol

The reason you may of had trouble trying to keep temps down was prob the temp of ur intake air during the summer months maybe use a/c or a water cooler or sumthing. Keep a fan blowing towards ur intake allday to keep cool air blowing in.

Have you looked into gettin 2 LED lights u could run maybe 2x130w leds which would be good for flowering and maybe chuck in 2 of those 6500k cfl in there for veg but as u have no height ur only vegin for a lil bit before u switch it over. A few years ago I made up a few diff style stealth boxs and used 150mm comp fans for extract and 120mm for intake. They were hooked up to a special temp controller for comp fans to turn on and off when temps reach a certain level. For the extract they were directed over a ozone generator for odour control.

For lighthing U could go with the 250w hps you'll get more bud that way but then u got heat probs even in a cooltube and as u are stealth ur gonna have the noise problem of a larger fan kiken in tryin to keep temps down. All depends on how stealthy u want it.

Are you guys serious about running 400W in a box 2 x3ft and 3ft tall? I mean, seriously... it's an over sized shoe box.

I agree with Nay, 250W hps, cool tube. In addition I'd suggest you go all out and give yourself another foot of head room... 2x3x4 rather than 2x3x3, you'll appreciate the extra space once you put a light... pot(s)... scrog net... fan...