Seeking adults aged 40+ for cannabis, tobacco and health survey

Hi there. My name is Sally, and I am a researcher for the University of New South Wales. I am currently running a survey looking at health patterns of adults aged 40+ who use cannabis only, tobacco only, or both cannabis and tobacco (even if only for mixing). I am looking for adults aged 40+ who fall into the category below:

Smoked cannabis on at least four days per week on average for at least the last 5 years AND have not smoked more than 100 tobacco cigarettes or equivalent (including mixing tobacco with cannabis) in the last 5 years.

The survey will take around half an hour, and participants receive a $40 Coles Myer Group gift voucher for their time. If you fall into the category above, and would like more information, please email me at s.rooke@unsw.edu.au

Thanks,

Sally

Welcome Sally, it's good to see you're using your still-yet-to-mature psycholigical skills ;)

As a member of the NCPIC would you say that your employer is something you usually mention to non-cannabis users or do you just fail to mention that in front of us?

I think before anyone here is willing to participate they need answers to these two questions:

• With the nature of your survey and the topics in this forum, why did you feel that it wasn't necessary to not identify your involvement in the NCPIC?
  • Can you ensure the survey is completely anyonymous

Edit: typo

Edited by Cerberus
  • Upvote 3

Hi Cerberus,

These are fair questions. To answer the first one, this is not a NCPIC funded project -- it is funded by UNSW Faculty of Medicine. It is something that I am doing out of interest as a researcher and definitely not part of an agenda to find evidence against the use of cannabis. Also, as I have posted here before, I didn't think my working with NCPIC was any secret. And yes, survey responses can be completely anonymous if the participant wishes. A postal address is requested at the end of the survey for participants who would like to receive the $40 gift voucher for their time. But this information is kept strictly confidential and is stored separately from survey responses. Hope this answers your questions.

Sally

Brick, to answer your question, I already have enough tobacco-only and combined cannabis/tobacco smokers. I am only looking for people now who smoke cannabis and not tobacco. The less than 100 over five years is to ensure that results for cannabis-only smokers don't get contaminated with results from combined cannabis/tobacco smokers. If someone smokes cannabis but has smoked fewer than 100 cigarettes in the last five years, it's fair to call them a cannabis-only smoker.

Hi Cerberus,

These are fair questions. To answer the first one, this is not a NCPIC funded project -- it is funded by UNSW Faculty of Medicine. It is something that I am doing out of interest as a researcher and definitely not part of an agenda to find evidence against the use of cannabis. Also, as I have posted here before, I didn't think my working with NCPIC was any secret. And yes, survey responses can be completely anonymous if the participant wishes. A postal address is requested at the end of the survey for participants who would like to receive the $40 gift voucher for their time. But this information is kept strictly confidential and is stored separately from survey responses. Hope this answers your questions.

Sally

Thanks S, no agenda alleged, however for every person here who posts their intentions, there are thousands more who don't even sign up, but still keep an eye on what's going on. As someone who expects total truthfulness in their subjects, I would expect the same if my testers research was related to any external areas they may use that information in.

Whether that be directly or as evidence in "research" that they use in cases later on down the track,

With the recent inclusion of another "researcher" and your similar story, no doubt the introduction of a studying student or University Lecturer persona would be more accepted as opposed to the NCPIC rep popping up asking questions?

I'm not calling you out, but the scenarios above are very possible. I'm just wanting a transparent system.

Hope you get the information you need, as long as it's being used for good ;)

Edited by Cerberus

Brick, to answer your question, I already have enough tobacco-only and combined cannabis/tobacco smokers. I am only looking for people now who smoke cannabis and not tobacco. The less than 100 over five years is to ensure that results for cannabis-only smokers don't get contaminated with results from combined cannabis/tobacco smokers. If someone smokes cannabis but has smoked fewer than 100 cigarettes in the last five years, it's fair to call them a cannabis-only smoker.

Apologies Sally. I would not have been so harsh if you had put this into your first post.