What is curing?

Ok,

You guys are awesome and have had some great help.

I've dried it all for 7 days, it feels crispy.

Now it's in a plastic air tight container.

I am a bit worried its too dry.

I have heard curing mentioned. Does this help me at this stage.

I need to get this right and be able to store enough to last 12 months.

Any ideas.

hey cant grow what i normally do is when the buds feel dry i chop one bud up and have a smoke to make sure it is dry. then put in glass jars or plastic contanier is you case. once you have done that just take the lid off the contanier once a day for a week or 2 then just leave to be smoked thats pretty much wat i do :bongon:

Agree ^^, taking the top off the ajr is called 'Burping'.

Curing is a ripening of the fruit, turpens are being formed from the raw ingredients contained in the trichrome, and a process called decarboxilation begins.

All the sap from the stem will make its way into the bud and a little bit o chemistry goes on. Once the stem is bone dry the bud is decicated, and can continue curing. 3 months would see a bud fully cured, tho ppl argue about this- I think its a good rule of thumb.

After 5-14days, its dry enough to smoke (thank god).

The Next 3 months is the curing process, well cured buds kept in a dry dark place can keep for years. (as long as there are no stoners around; then it hasn't got a snow balls chance of hell gett'n past the first 3 months.)

• Upvote 3

Hey dude, if ya buds are feeling crispy ,uve probably slightly overdone it. If u use the curing method it's best to jar em up just before their 100% dry and burp em regulary so they don't go mouldy. There are a few ways to revive over dried buds like bag em up with ones that aren't fully dried over night. Mate of mine reckons he revived his by puttin em in the fridge over night with potato peels. Dodgy ,but reckons it worked. Best thing u can do is dry em right in the first place, probably one of the most underrated steps..peace..devil

As above, but I like to "burp" them twice a day once in the morning and once in the evening, and not in plastic but in glass and keep them in a cool area out of most light sources. I think one of the most important things is a nice even cool temp. if its too warm you can get mould spores and then its in the bin!! Let us know how it went...

Hi Cantgrow

You say "plastic containers". I have a concern with using plastic to cure buds. For me glass is the only way to go. You can pick up large glass jars from Cheap as Chips or Cunninghams.

Some plastic can leach chemicals into your buds, some of these chemicals are toxic, others may suck the chemicals from your bud, either way it ain't good.

Glass is inert it doesn't leach anything and it is safe.

Here are a couple of mine.

post-24238-0-81103300-1335584172_thumb.jpg

Merl1n

Hi Cantgrow,

Those buds look great Merl1n.

What type are they?

That is AK48 somebody gave me, I would have called him a mate but he did the shonky on me and I haven't heard from him since. But it was/is a very nice smoke.

Mine have been in the containers for over 24h now and no moisture has appeared.

It seems to smoke ok.

It ain't the kind of moisture you can see, it ain't like condensation where you have droplets. It is released by the bud into the surrounding air. I found that the bud dries out during the day then rehydrates a bit at night. At night the moisture is drawn out of the stem into the bud. My rule of thumb is when the stem snaps like a dry twig, its dry. But it still needs to be cured as there is more to curing than just drying.

iTiC has given you some excellent info above. Use it.

But personally I would be more concerned about the plastic side of things. Get it out of the plastic. NOW!! not tomorrow or the day after. NOW!!!

Even a brown paper bag will do if you ain't got a jar now. But get it out of the plastic AND get a jar or 2 or 3 or however many you need. I have 12 of those jars, not all full(at the moment) but I have enough jars for unforeseen accidents like breakages.

Might just bag it up and put it somewhere dark to see if it lasts for 12 months.

If there is ANY moisture at all, this is the last thing you want to do. Mould can develope. Hense the term burping of cured weed, allowing it to breathe a bit.

Also "bag it up" This is a BAD BAD idea. Having weed bagged up can be seen as preparation for dealing of a controlled substance. ie an oz split up into money bags or a pd split up into oz's. Also plastic bags are not ideal for long term storage. None of my jars have an exact amount they are just full. If I had a set measure of 5 oz/jar and had a visit it could be construed that I was dealing.

Merl1n

Cheers Merlin, and Ill look at replacing all my plastic containers.

I was swamped by a pure sativa variety and needed some long air tight containers to hold several main colas.

A cross breed seams to be more managable. Glass it is.

That reminds me I should make up a h2o2 bath and get these babies clean...

Edited by iTiC