White Flies

Whiteflies

Homoptera: Aleyrodidae

Identification

• Adults are 1/16", white, actively flying insects. (a)

• Nymphs are clear, oval, and up to 1/16" long. (B)

Damage

• Nymphs and adults suck sap from the leaves causing reduced growth and stunting.

• Whiteflies excrete honeydew that makes leaves sticky and may support sooty mold growth.

• Whiteflies attack tomato, squash, and many other vegetables and flowers.

Management

• Yellow sticky traps will attract adults and can help keep numbers low.

• Spray with insecticidal soap or other insecticides.

Other Information

• Eggs are usually laid at the top of the plant, but nymphs tend to be most common on the undersides of lower leaves.

• Banded-winged whiteflies feed on velvetleaf (a weed), and may occur in large numbers in late summer in the garden, but cause little damage.

http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/chf/outreach/bad1...iteflysfin.jpeg

Encarsia Formosa are minute flying parasitic 'wasps', which lay their eggs inside the Whitefly 'scales' (the pupa stage) turning the white scales black in 2-4 weeks, and producing further generations of Encarsia to continue the good work. They are supplied as black, ready-to-hatch parasitised scales on small cards which can be hung amongst affected foliage.

After placing your order, reduce Whitefly populations as much as possible by spraying the undersides of all leaves with a soft soap spray in the early morning, before the adults become active.

! I dunno where to find them in Australia, but I have allways been using all kinds of predator bugs to get rid of pests in my grow,.....even have some(different) bugs in my grow room just in case....