I recently went to the local hydro store and was interested in buying a 400w HPS and was looking at buying a metal halide that would work in the same reflector. The bloke there said that 'Using a metal halide during the growth stage was what all the old school growers do, but you can just use a HPS the whole way through, you just have to remember to change the light on hours.'

Anyone else tried an entire grow using HPS start to finish, and did you see results just as good if not better than using a MH or a fluro?

MH bulbs produce a different spectrum of light, the best representation of daylight, this means more light in the blue spectrum. blue spectrum promotes healthy green vegetive growth.

HPS produces light in more of the red/orange spectrum, this is ideal for flowering.

just a basic overview, definately have more of a read about the spectrum of light marijuana prefers at different growth stages

Edited by headhigh

I recently went to the local hydro store and was interested in buying a 400w HPS and was looking at buying a metal halide that would work in the same reflector. The bloke there said that 'Using a metal halide during the growth stage was what all the old school growers do, but you can just use a HPS the whole way through, you just have to remember to change the light on hours.'

Anyone else tried an entire grow using HPS start to finish, and did you see results just as good if not better than using a MH or a fluro?

He aint lying to you mate, I`d say the majority of HID growers here stick with one lamp type.

Best all rounder would be 600W HPS, but a 400W is a good lamp if used properly. Have a look in this section and get a better idea of what and why ppl do...

And welcome to OS :thumbsup:

Youse see that? I made another one of them linky things...on fire I tell ya :whistle:

JAIKAI

• Upvote 3

lmao JK lol.....

Metal Halide bulbs keep the plant more compact during the veg stage..and as most of us grow indoors with height restrictions keepin them compact is the name of the game ;)

i use both bulbs and change them when it comes time for the flip.

But as JK said.. lots of peeps use just a HPS for the entire grow...

having used both the difference between veging with both inst heaps

while the MH has a better spectrum the HPS is more efficient with higher lumen output , so you have more light vs better sprectum

if its your first setup and your on budget go the HPS

also have a look at the 130w and 200w CFLs , they are a great alternative to MH . I tend to do all my sprouting/cloning/ early growth under those and go straight to HPS for the last weeks of veg

Ive only grown a few times, but my last one was HPS from start to finish, the girls did just fine apart from some spider mites.

I have a mH and have used it for veg as well, was good, i have no data or experiments under my belt to speak of any differences, BUt i dont think they could be that drastic.

The peoples above me in the thread have given all there is written on the matter, Just give it a go, you will end upwith some great gear in the end, some times looking at things too close get confusing,

Peace bruvvas

• Upvote 1

what about the dual spectrum bulbs? I have one of these, 600w... are they good for start to finish growing? (sorry, hope I'm not hijacking!)

As Bluntman said below you Don...maybe Sunmaster not the best breed but still a good bulb. And that is exactly what were talking about mate, you aint hijacking it heheh. Good to hear from ya

JAIKAI

G'day Troops.

I've been using dual spectrum HPS lamps from the first grow. They seem just fine to me. I've had reasonable results from them, and that's what matters. I started out with 2 x 400w, then added a 600w, then changed to a single 1000w HPS dual spectrum, and this does the job just about perfect.

See what I mean, these cheese x skunk are 7 and a bit weeks old and are around 500mm.

post-33553-0-00466500-1331602668_thumb.jpg

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: