fresh weed for butter?

mrmugi

Question

4 answers to this question

I have never tried making cannabutter from dry weed (because I tend to run out before the next harvest has even hit the drying rack) so when harvesting, I immediately chuck all the fresh trim into a stockpot filled with water with a block or two of butter and simmer it away for about 3-5 hours (or until your wife/partner/significant-other chucks a wobbly because they can no longer take that delicious stench any more). It's like looking into the sun (or an arc welder) for some people.

Consider temporarily removing your carbon filter from your cabinet and place above stockpot in kitchen using zip ties if you live in an apartment block (or if your folks are in the next room watching CSI Miami...).

Strain simmerred liquid through a muslin/cheese cloth into another bowl and put that bowl into the freezer until you find a disk of solidifying cannabutter floating on the surface. Doesn't take that long so check it every 10mins or so.

If you don't have room in your freezer for a big bowl then double-bag it in ziplock bags and put in the freezer flat.

Once the cannabutter appears to have finished solidifying (it starts feeling harder and harder) then remove the bowl/bag from the freezer and empty out the excess water.

You should have a disk of greenish butter remaining. You can now use this as you would butter in any recipe requiring butter (you can also add it to recipes that don't require butter).

I have never received any complaints about the quality of my baked product to date.

Do the compassionate thing for your friends though and test it out on yourself first won't you?

Alternatively (if you don't like the risks of testing cannabis on yourself), surprise your folks when they next visit for brunch by spreading a liberal layer between their toasted sourdough and vegemite.

If you apply heat to the trichomes they will dissolve anyway so they will not remain intact once you apply the heat of boiling water. Trichomes will only remain intact if you apply cold, like a big bag of party ice with some bubble bags.

Heat is how the cannabis goodness manages to merge with the butter (just like Leo D'Caprio did with butter-face in the back of that car in "Titanic").

Note: based on the steamy windows in that Titanic car, I am guessing that the humidity in the back seat of that car would not be an environment conducive to growing cannabis.

Just as well the ship sank or I would be pretty pissed off if I came to drive my car off the Titanic's maiden voyage and discovered that my sweet ride was covered in fresh pauper-jizz!!

I guess it really depends on what taste you like. Some people like the taste of freshly dried weed and others like the elegant palate of lovingly-cured buds.

Whatever the taste of the weed when smoked will correlate to the taste of the butter.

When you turn it into butter should be based on when you like to smoke your weed. If you like the way it smokes you will like the way it bakes.

Good luck and enjoy.

Bon appettite!