URL: http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v02/n1801/a10.html

Newshawk: Niall Young

Pubdate: Tue, 24 Sep 2002

Source: West Australian (Australia)

Copyright: 2002 West Australian Newspapers Limited

Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/495

Author: Mark Mallabone

CANNABIS, CARS A FATAL MIX

DRIVERS who smoked cannabis before getting behind the wheel were six times more likely to die in a crash than other road users, a parliamentary committee has been told.

Monash University forensic medicine expert Olaf Drummer said yesterday it was myth that stoned motorists were relatively safe because they drove slowly. Fatal smashes among this group caused by excessive speed were not uncommon.

"It is certainly not a safe drug in relation to road trauma," Professor Drummer told the House of Representatives standing committee on family and community affairs.

He unveiled an analysis which showed that drivers with relatively high levels of cannabis in their bloodstream ( more than 5ng/mL of tetrahydrocannabinol ) were 6.6 times more likely than others to die on the roads.

Only very drunk drivers were more vulnerable. Those with a blood-alcohol content higher than 0.20 were 20 times more likely to die.

In a coronial study of almost 3400 driver deaths during 1990-99, including 757 in WA, Professor Drummer found almost 30 per cent of victims recorded a blood-alcohol content above the legal limit.

A further 26 per cent tested positive for mind-altering ( psychotropic ) drugs, including 14 per cent who had recently used cannabis.

Other commonly detected drugs were opiates ( 4.4 per cent ), stimulants ( 3.8 per cent ) and benzodiazepines ( 3.6 per cent ).

Professor Drummer told the committee that drivers who used stimulants such as amphetamines were 2.3 times more likely than others to die.

the death rate was much higher ( 8.8 times ) among stimulant-using truck drivers.

interestingly, heroin use did not appear to be strongly linked to unsafe driving. Heroin users were 1.4 times more likely to die but those who had taken multiple mood-altering drugs were 5.4 times more likely to die.

The combination of alcohol and mood-altering drugs was particularly dangerous.

Professor Drummer's research appears to support moves by WA authorities, revealed last week, to investigate the possibility of testing drivers for drugs other than alcohol.

The WA Police Service has made preliminary inquiries about getting portable roadside saliva testing kits.

Victorian police are preparing to start a similar program.

And The West Australian understands that the Government's drink and drug driving task force has made a submission that legislation be drafted to help catch the rising number of people driving while affected by drugs.

I love blaming our government for everything - but I do blame the governments for ripping up most of the countries railway tracks back in the mid 1900's. Everything (well almost) used to be transported by rail years ago until the government decided more money could be made from trucking companies - with taxes taken ALL along the line. I reckon some pollie back then must have had a brother who was starting up a trucking transport business. I would like to think I may be joking on that point but I bet someone had something to get out of it. On Urban's point about the M1 from Bris to Gold Coastl - there was a perfectly good railway - stopped at points all the way through to Coolangatta on the border of NSW. Pulled up i think around the 1960's (I may be wrong about just when) then reinstated in the 90's. Just imagine if most of whats being transported (by the full-on heavy riggs ) now all over the country were converted back to rail transport. How much freer would our road systems be. How much less pollution. It would have to be less. anyway just more stupid decisions made by our wonderful government.

PS Tboat also very sorry to hear to your loss at such a young age. Both my kids lost their father at around the same age as you. Sorry just doesn't cut it for what you have gone through. lol