vapourisers

I have a hotplate vape and there is light brown stuff that accumulates in the glass dome, what is this? is it tar from me smoldering or is it thc oil? or somthing else?

because I scraped some off and gave it to a straight mate, in a rolly, and he got stoned or "a buzz" to quote him. Any ideas

yeah I get the honey coloured resin on the inside of my glass. The instructions that come with some of the vapourisers say you can harvest this "oil" but they don't say how. Someone who worked for a company selling vapes posted here not long ago saying this was rubbish and its not smokable.

I wouldn't know cause when my glass gets too dirty to see the vapours I just throw it in the dishwasher.

@pipeman,

I saw your earlier post and replied but my PC crashed anyway here it is again, I think,

A mate suggested putting the dome in a bucket of hot water and then hopefully the resin will be easier to get, (but obviously not straight into the hot water or it could break)

I just mixed baccy in the bulb (with the honey coloured stuff as you say) and rolled the sticky baccy with some straight backy (so it would burn), I got the rollies off my mate so I don't think it was a baccy rush for him and I have had a few vapes today so I am not sure I am good judge, but there is hardly any smell not even a baccy smell, maybe good for outdoors? Anyway it can't hurt to try it. I know I won't see any oil for ages but you probably have it coming out your ass ;) so you don't care. Pipeman thanks for the two different opinions, its good to see, altho I think the vapourisers that endorse this (say it does produce THC) may be a little biased, don't you, it makes we wonder if I am wasteing my time (and yours). cheers mate

mate, your friend is right, putting it in warm water is a good idea. not inside the dome obviously, I assume you mean you hold the dome upside down in a tub of hot water. then scrape off the inside while warm.

other idea I had was soaking in a high proof alchohol for a week then evapourating off the alchohol with gentle heat (double boiler) and you're left with extracted oil. provided there is anything there worthwhile extracting in the first place.

If you were using herb, I'd say it's most likely residual lower grade cannabinoids, or tars which have accumulated from overtoasting the cones... mind you, I know sweet f.a. about vapourising... but I thought I'd throw that in there. ;)

If you were just using oil itself to vape, (not sure if you could do that with a normal vapouriser... but I can't see why not) then I'd imagine the air inside the vape getting pretty hot itself, neh? And whilst that heat shouldn't be too hot to actively break down the cannabinoids you're trying to vapourise and smoke, I'd imagine repeated heating and cooling of the air inside the bowl, would likely reduce the potency of any remaining resin and degrade it down to non-psychoactive forms.

Once again, I know nothing really about vapourising, I'm hoping I'll get the opportunity to try one soon, but I doubt I could afford one. So if I'm miles off the mark you'll know why. ;)

I saw an advertisement on the back of my only high times mag with a vape which has a digital readout so you can dial in a specific temp range according to preferences or matter to be vapourised... anyone know if you can get these out here? ;)

Once again, I know nothing really about vapourising, I'm hoping I'll get the opportunity to try one soon, but I doubt I could afford one. So if I'm miles off the mark you'll know why

You never tried one? You make honey oil, so I'll have to lend mine to you when I return that wonderful cookbook you lent me........ :;): ;)

I've used it 3 times, I still can't decide if I like it. It's a bit strange, and I like my smoke ;)

If you were using herb, I'd say it's most likely residual lower grade cannabinoids, or tars which have accumulated from overtoasting the cones... mind you, I know sweet f.a. about vapourising... but I thought I'd throw that in there. ;)

If you were just using oil itself to vape, (not sure if you could do that with a normal vapouriser... but I can't see why not) then I'd imagine the air inside the vape getting pretty hot itself, neh? And whilst that heat shouldn't be too hot to actively break down the cannabinoids you're trying to vapourise and smoke, I'd imagine repeated heating and cooling of the air inside the bowl, would likely reduce the potency of any remaining resin and degrade it down to non-psychoactive forms.

Once again, I know nothing really about vapourising, I'm hoping I'll get the opportunity to try one soon, but I doubt I could afford one. So if I'm miles off the mark you'll know why. ;)

I saw an advertisement on the back of my only high times mag with a vape which has a digital readout so you can dial in a specific temp range according to preferences or matter to be vapourised... anyone know if you can get these out here?  ;)

If it was tar it would taste shit imo I mean the oil, not the smoke, and to me threre was vlittle taste at all,

(and I do over toast them they don't glow red but usually I let it go till it is black and there is a carbon deposit from combustion,)

why would it be other forms of THC and not 9-THC, I don't quite understand why you are suggesting it would be selective.

I agree tho the repeated heating may degrade the THC, but on the other hand, the glass only reaches about 60-70c, as I can touch it without a burn, but not for long, so I wonder if it gets hot enough seeing as THC is stable even after an blue flame is used.

I think freewhellin, but they are 400 and had no stock when I looked. http://www.freewheelin.com

I'm not being critical of you Luke, you really got me thinking and I havej ust put out a few thoughts in response, admittedly I like playing devils advocate.

THC breaks down fairly rapidly on exposure to heat and light doesn't it?

No worries syk, I just think it's most likely to be something you couldn't smoke or would be of negligible content... Did you end up trying to smoke that joint you rolled up with the baccy? I don't think you said if you did or not...

Cheers Chev... I'll look forward to catching up babe... You tried the Chocolate Cake No. 2 yet? Niiiiiiice eh? And I'd love to have a test of a vape... this is my major sticking point in spending the dosh to buy one, it's something I haven't tried yet... (excluding my oil pipe that is...) and as such I can't really tell if it's for me... ;) Oh well, looks like that should be remedied soon, judging by the offers I've been getting lately... ;)

@syk, devils advocate is always the best advocate, because you can pursue something with vigour and still not really hold the opinion. A valuable tool to help you see the other side of a story, IMO. Oh, and If you're a devils advocate, I must be his private attorney. ;) :;):

THC breaks down fairly rapidly on exposure to heat and light doesn't it? 

No worries syk, I just think it's most likely to be something you couldn't smoke or would be of negligible content... Did you end up trying to smoke that joint you rolled up with the baccy? I don't think you said if you did or not...

Cheers Chev... I'll look forward to catching up babe... You tried the Chocolate Cake No. 2 yet? Niiiiiiice eh? And I'd love to have a test of a vape... this is my major sticking point in spending the dosh to buy one, it's something I haven't tried yet... (excluding my oil pipe that is...) and as such I can't really tell if it's for me... ;) Oh well, looks like that should be remedied soon, judging by the offers I've been getting lately... ;)

@syk, devils advocate is always the best advocate, because you can pursue something with vigour and still not really hold the opinion. A valuable tool to help you see the other side of a story, IMO. Oh, and If you're a devils advocate, I must be his private attorney.  ;)  :;):

Hi luke,

I smoked it and it tasted great,

Edited by syk613