any wannabe breeders?

Guest Wilderbud

Hey, have a read of my idea of making a trust system. You really need to plan a system properly so that the whole thing doesnt go down in the event of a failure. Im not talking about this breeding program as if marijuana was illegal - you just plan to avoid problems [whatever they may be - a narc is a problem as well as a shitty grower or someone who wants to deliberately cause a problem *as in sending his favourite strain instead of the one he was supposed to grow out*]. You need a complex system with simple rules to make the whole thing work as a proper breeding cycle or else its not worth doing at all.

Youd probably need to have a seedbank [1000 seeds], seed growers [50 seeds], clone growers [10 clones], then clone testers [20 clones?]. Something like this so that you can verify that the clones coming back are actually the right things. I dont know a thing about breeding but if you only want to do this system so that it can be done by personal growers then it can be done so that noone grows too many plants [although even 5 would be a limit for a lot of people]. [i just wrote this part on a whim - I havent thought too hard about this as I have no idea about breeding a strain]

This system would be a hell of a lot better than a seedbank when it comes to breeding to attain a specific trait as more people would be testing and noone would have to have a big environmentally controlled warehouse. I dont know if it would be suitable while marijuana is illegal as that would put a lot of strain on the system. If Australia legalized marijuana tomorrow I would suggest this as the breeding program to supply our seedbank and Im positive it would compete with a scientific method of selecting specific traits because scientific methods cannot taste, see, smell and smoke! AFAIK wine producers breed by tasting each others wine and sharing their genetics but I could be wrong. :D

thats an interesting idea pipeman, I wonder what the inspiration was

just common sense. everyone having everyone else's address is a recipe for trouble IMO.

I have no idea what would be required to do good breeding. I'll leave that to people who actually know something about breeding. but, I reckon this will be more a hobby than a money saver. I mean you think about all the time people need to run their growrooms to grow out these crosses and keep male and female clones. Time and money will add up. And I find it hard to believe we could do a better job breeding than seedbanks who grow out tens of thousands of plants. The average strain cost around 100 bucks. If we had 10 people who trusted each other they split the cost paying $10 each and one person grows out the seeds. The best mother is kept and cuttings sent to the other nine. Then if your mission was to spread cheap or free genetics to any and all you could send out cuttings instead of seeds. Repeat this process again and again selecting from the numerous seedbanks out there and you would do it cheaper, faster, and probably better than trying to breed yourself. And you cut down the risk factor by being able to keep plant numbers down.

Not trying to put a damper on the idea, thats just my thoughts. I think at the end of the day it would be more the challenge and satisfaction of doing some good breeding that is the real appeal to some of the more able growers around here.

Shit eh, I just wrote a big post and lost it, dont that just shit ya??

shits me.

Anyway I dont remember what I was getting at or where I was I'm too stoned now.

I think Cluster's idea was to cross both hybrid and true breeding strains to look for new mixes, and to have that spread across a number of growers to widen the gene pool and cut down time. And then give the seeds away to test the mixes.

yeah pretty much, just a lucky-dip of Oz-stoners best combined genetics. tested for us by seed needers. Wont need to keep many more plants than usual, or wattages, coupla CF's or a spot in a sunny window to flower your males and produce some pollen. because you dont need many seed for the first round of seed making, give em out to say 5-10 people, and expect feedback from 2 or 3 (hopefully). and then once we get feedback we swap around the parents of the chosen crosses and produce bulk seed of that shit, obviously in a club organisation with many members its not gonna be profitable really, but if we we're in for profit I doubt we'd have the interest to be filling our precious buds with seeds would we. Basically we get to smoke alot of original smoke have a good hobby and help people from paying the huge seed prices we have to pay.

just common sense. everyone having everyone else's address is a recipe for trouble IMO.

Yeah, that is why the mafia work the same way ever read/seen the godfather, your middle man would be like Tom Hagan (the adopted brother I can't spell consiglei..ahhshit you know I mean) so only Tom knows what the Don's orders are, impossible to bust the Don if there is a code of silence etc.

Uhhmmm, yeah but I reckon some seriously kick arse seeds can be produced here, and kinda regardless of knowledge, like some of the genetics mentioned already Heavy Duty Fruity, Blueberry I got a bubblegum male waiting for its turn, think about combinations of them 3 alone, 9 combinations using pollen of each strain on each persons selected mother, and surely one of them would be some filthy stinky sweet fruit bud. and thats a miniscule portion of the strains we got here between us, its an idea with alot of potential I'm thinking.

Obviously cant have alot of contributing members, because it will become more pollen to produce.

I think at the end of the day it would be more the challenge and satisfaction of doing some good breeding that is the real appeal to some of the more able growers around here.

yeah completely, your post wasn't there when I wrote my last reply so I pretty much repeated what you said, but its more for the challenge, combined we gonna win all the canna cups over time, shit like that.

But as for buying seeds and selling the clones of it, thats not the same kinda thing, and would be better if not organised in a club style. Thats really total piracy, and if dope was legal I think that would be illegal.

Also yeah clones are so simple and easy, but much bigger and more risky than seeds, seeds are great, I find it hard to get excitited about a new clone, its kinda like when all the crosswords in the magazines have been done already.

Guest Wilderbud

I typed a huge post the othre day and *BZT* fucking gone - I just got shitty, grabbed the bong and closed the stupid browser until I got over hitting the close button instead of Send. I get used to just hitting send and close because I do a few forums and have IRC in the background for when forums are dead.

I post so much to this site its not funny - its ridiculous - but since Im thinking about retiring early youll have to get used to me. Ill be offline for a week in 2 weeks so I can get a better ISP thatll let me post even more stuff and watch videos too. :D

I want some fruity body-numbing filthy buds - it has to have easy to manicure 2-ounce colas that are ready in 50 days too. Can you get 2 ounce colas from a 1M plant or am I dreaming?

Yeah, just to correct that, I didn't mean true breeding strains, I meant stabilised strains. There are some strains that are supposed to breed true - I thought Haze, maybe Northern Lights, even the original bubblegum (THSeeds) is supposed to breed true. But anyway it would be more fun to find the spinoffs in the mixing of hybrids, but of course to do any of this would only be theorietical because it would be illegal of course. And while some are against selfing I'd like to self a really good killer female and see about 500 seeds grown out so see if any split back to the parent strains. You'd have to get at least one wierd sort of mutant....

the island of dr marijuareau.

V

Sir Skunk a Lot, its not right IMO for you to continually advertise your seedbank here at Oz Stoners when you are not a sponser.  Of course your contributions are welcome, but not if their only purpose is to plug planet skunk.

Sorry pipeman. I didn't mean to advertise (insert url here) on OZstoners with my post. Sure, I would like to advertise my site on OzStoners and support them financially in return but I don't think OzStoners allow ads on their site. I also link to OzStoners from (insert url here) here because I like this place and some of my customers and forum members are also from OzStoners.

If OzStoners feel that I am taking advantage of their hospitality then please let me know and I will not mention (insert url here) site again. I don't even have (insert url here) in my signature on OzStoners and I know that the OzStoners business model relies on donations, subscriptions and book sales, which is why I don't sell books on (insert url here).

I would like to help this site but if I can't place a paid banner ad here then there is not a lot I can do to help them out. I can’t just give them money because (insert url here) is at present a non-profit site and has it own problems rasing cash for ads.

Nnnnnnnneways, I glad you let me know when I have crossed that line and I like to come here because you guys are cool and have a lot of good info and you’re aussies.