any wannabe breeders?

Guest Wilderbud
polyploid

Mutagens are evil. Theres nothing wrong with a normal marijuana plant - breeding is fine tuning.

Having more people involved in the breeding cycle would inevitably create a more widely desired strain and for the medicinal usage of marijuana this would be the ideal conditions to breed an acceptible drug. Recreational smokers can have their wide variety of strains with the current system and people who just want a certain guaranteed effect probably dont want to get involved with choosing their own strain - distributed breeding has its place because of the different effects marijuana can have on different people.

Yes, it is a good idea and deserves a discussion IMO. I do not think there is anything illegal about formalizing a breeding program. Having a plan to develop medicinal strains in the appropriate way is better than letting scientists develop the strains. :D

Mutagens are evil. Theres nothing wrong with a normal marijuana plant - breeding is fine tuning.

Hi mate, I would agree totally but really don't know anything about the effects of those changes in respect to mj genetics, I suggested it because I was discussing thos topic with another member, but I woulld trust your judgement WB thanks.

I agree if ppl could get a 9-thc (and other cannabinnoids ) pure chemotype and other strains with pure or a mix of chemotypes this is imo is the best way to initiate a "grass" roots mj med program, different parts of the body will have different forms of the MJ receptor (CB 1 and 2), these will be activated by some cannabinoids and deactivated by others and also some recptors will illicit an effect while another set will antagonise that effect, These receptors in different locations also can be activated by the drug to different degrees,Hypothetical eq. 9-THC binds to a rec in the brain and has a high affinity for these ones but for a receptor in the gut it may not bind as efficiently and maybe CBD does and so is more effective as an ant-emetic to lessen the side effects of chemo/antiviral drugs.

Thats just my 2cents and a few ideas that I've had rolling around in the back of my head, addmittedly trying to do this with a hangover is not easy so if it makes no sense please tell, and if it makes none to me I will alter it rest assurred. Cheers guys

Guest Wilderbud

Syk, I dont know much about biology and chemistry apart from what I learnt in high school so I cant comment on the possibility of a plant producing a more pure psychoactive drug. Im sure it will be easy for scientists to produce this component of [or a safe derivative of?] the marijuana plant when medicinal use is common and when they do there are some people who will not respond well to a derivative drug or genetically engineered plant [is it safe?].

I wouldnt trust my judgement when it comes to me talking about mutagens - genetic mutation is natural afterall. I just dont want to be part of it because I dont like change - there might be a better marijuana plant produced via mutation but itd be highly experimental compared to bred marijuana [even breeding is unnatural but I feel safer with this concept]. :D

You can predict and effect chemical change but can you honestly tell me its safe to use? I dont think thats possible to predict or effect.

Edited by Wilderbud

Syk, I dont know much about biology and chemistry apart from what I learnt in high school so I cant comment on the possibility of a plant producing a more pure psychoactive drug. Im sure it will be easy for scientists to produce this component of [or a safe derivative of?] the marijuana plant when medicinal use is common and when they do there are some people who will not respond well to a derivative drug or genetically engineered plant [is it safe?].

NB; I wrote it in 2 parts WB hope it makes sense

Some won't respond to the derivative IMO because it is just one specilaised form of THC not all the different forms able to act on the different receptors to different degrees, as for safety, the FDA or TGA in OZ require the drug Co. to spend 300, mll to get one drug in the market and that is in the US alone, if they say they are safe they probably are, this situation means malaria will never be fought by the drug Co.s effectively because there is not the $ in the 3rd world to recoupe their losses (similar problem with AIDS in Africa no money=nohelp from drugCO=an explosion in the mortality associated with AIDS)

Hey WB if this is in response to polyploid plants ignore, but if you are reffering to the chemotype section above, this is exactly the kind of research done today by breeders like youself, no genetic manipulation (altho I think LS may have a different take on X-ing starins), just what U guys have been doing for ages inbreeding/ and selective crossing of plants, this could be done and I couldn't have been the 1st to contemplate this and I think others R trying it already.

Don't take much notice of the receptor BS it was just me trying to show why it may work, in the end the take home message is cannabinoids come in many forms (ie different compounds) and the slight differences (position of different atoms and the inclusiona nd exclusion of others etc) mean they help different ppl in different ways, proving causation for a particular THC's benefits is going to be hard as the molecular biology is not there yet. But observational studies and ppl's anecdotal evidence should suffice in the meantime and help out a few med users along the way. Cheers WB

Don't mean to butt in or anything but this idea sounds a lot like what were are trying to organize on www.planetkunk.com about a month ago.

See post by Herbalicous by follwing this link:

http://www.planetskunk.com/forum/viewtopic...4162b9ddcc46b89

Already have about 20 people growing out our White Widows F2 seeds.

All are welcome to join the breeding progam. Or we could combine our efforts or something like that ? :D

It's pretty different actually. What you were talking about at PS was stabilizing your own line of an F1 Hybrid to create seeds of that hybrid .THen the seeds would be free to members of the breeding club.

I think Cluster's idea was to cross both hybrid and true breeding strains to look for new mixes, and to have that spread across a number of growers to widen the gene pool and cut down time. And then give the seeds away to test the mixes.

Cheers

V

Sir Skunk a Lot, its not right IMO for you to continually advertise your seedbank here at Oz Stoners when you are not a sponser. Of course your contributions are welcome, but not if their only purpose is to plug planet skunk.

White Cluster, its a top idea mate. There's risks obviously, and I am not sure how this would sit with Oz Stoner. But, no one ever makes progress without taking risks right? It can be hard to extract an opinion from Oz Stoner sometimes, so we'll have to see I guess.

I haven't read every post in this thread, so sorry if this has already been mentioned, but, hypothetically, a middle man who doesn't grow and destroys details/addresses after packages have been sent would be a good idea. That way, if there was a lowlife among us, he couldn't bring everyone down. And even if the cops found who they thought was the middle man, they couldn't prove he was, or bust any growers, because he would have no records at all and his chronic pot addiction would have destroyed his memory.