Alcohol and other Drugs worker.

Alcohol and other Drugs worker/Grower & Smoker  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd say it is a good idea. She's obviously gone through a lot and ended up ok with cannabis and now has a clean lifestyle. I refuse to think of cannabis as dirty as it obviously can be consumed safely and she can teach people that, not to give everything up forever, but to take the better alternative if it should come out that she still smokes. If I was talking with a worker then learned they smoke cannabis or about their history with actual drugs I would have much more respect for them as they know what they're talking about.

i may be too stoned to understand you correctly billy, i apologise if im off base.

i dont see a psych for addiction or drugs, i see her for life long battle with depression. in saying that, since ive started seeing her, ive come so far, given up medication, gotten a job and have a better outlook.

I hear ya, but my point is that anyone who requires psychiatric help, for any reason, should not smoke pot.....period.....only my opinion, but it does affect your mind whether you chosse to believe it or not...

I hear ya, but my point is that anyone who requires psychiatric help, for any reason, should not smoke pot.....period.....only my opinion, but it does affect your mind whether you chosse to believe it or not...

i'm not seeing a psychiatrist tho :P

thats ok, opinions are like assholes, we all have them. i'm always interested in others peoples views. :)

True, cannabis (like any other drug) affects the mind.

It seems though that for some reason you have a belief that anyone who 'requires psychiatric help' automatically will be affected negatively by cannabis.

Not a well informed belief/opinion.

Naycha :peace:

• Upvote 1

True, cannabis (like any other drug) affects the mind.

It seems though that for some reason you have a belief that anyone who 'requires psychiatric help' automatically will be affected negatively by cannabis.

Not a well informed belief/opinion.

Naycha :peace:

yeah fair call, its a tough one, call it close experiences, although they are certainly a vey localised event......i just think that anyone with any sort of mental/depression issues should steer clear ofmthe stuff, but yes as said its just an arsehole opinion so take from it what you will..... Aint gonna get negative, just a call from my side of the court, stay cool all.......

yeah fair call, its a tough one, call it close experiences, although they are certainly a vey localised event......i just think that anyone with any sort of mental/depression issues should steer clear ofmthe stuff, but yes as said its just an arsehole opinion so take from it what you will..... Aint gonna get negative, just a call from my side of the court, stay cool all.......

billy, i'm sorry if it appeared i was calling you an arsehole. i wasnt, its just a saying, meaning everyone has opinions. perhaps that saying was not the one i should have used. instead i should have said, everyone has opinions, and i respect that, even if i don't agree. can we still be friends? :hug:

i think awareness and knowledge is important. like anything in this world, people can have different reactions to different things in different ways. there has been a lot of research to show that weed can help people in various situations (maybe there is also research for the other perspective). if you do have depression/anxiety/pts etc and you find that weed is not doing you any favours, then perhaps it isnt for you. if smoking weed makes you more motivated, gives you a stress outlet, helps you be more aware of your thoughts/feelings or helps you be more sociable (all reasons why i smoke it) then maybe it is "right" for you.

be informed, stay aware :)

I hear ya, but my point is that anyone who requires psychiatric help, for any reason, should not smoke pot.....period.....only my opinion,

After 15 years work in psych/detox/rehab I'd have to say the most common emotional problem associated with pot is financial stress. Considering that... I agree with you billy because good psychiatrists cost the earth. If you don't want to be brutalized by the public system if you happen to be one of the 1:5 Australians who will experience a period of mental illness during their lives, stop smoking and spend the money on private health insurance.

Funnily enough I know several people in this line of work who do smoke.

But they are all able to not abuse the substances in the sense that they lead productive functional lives.Who better to assist someone with addiction problems than someone who can use without abusing? Someone who hasn't never even tried"illicit" substances? Someone who was an abuser but was so unable to control their habits that they now cannot use at all for fear of reverting back to excessive behaviour?

Is it acceptable for a smoker/grower to become an alcohol and other drugs worder?

Is it acceptable for an alcohol drinker/ brewer to become an alcohol and other drugs worker?

Double standards?

I bet most people wouldn't mind an alcohol and other drugs worker having a couple of drinks after work as long as they are not abusing it. Similarly, as long as you aren't abusing pot it should be OK to work in this field, as long as you never ever use it before or during work. Most of these organisations would work under a harm minimisation model.