What is the point of autoflowers?

I am just wondering what advantages there are to having auto strains..??? :thumbsup:

I think autos are useful to the smart farmer. I dont know for sure, but I'd say the $$ coordinated effort to find outdoor plantations would aim at catching mature plants near monthers day, searching any earlier would be less likely to be succesfull because MOST outdoor ops would be too small to really show up??

SO with a fast 8 to 9 weeker that has already been established wouldnt need to be outside for too long before the crop would be ready for harvest, with the right handeling and good nutrtion a small area might be able to bring a few plants to maturity before anyone would think to look for anything to rip off or arrest you for.

Inside teh auto allows the maxium amount of watts possible to be thrown at the available area for a reasonably short period of time.

And its prolly like iPods, white goods and hoverboards; science! Its because we can :)

Real Auto's from a decent breeder will take 8 to 10 weeks.

Even the super Auto I had was done in 10 weeks I let it go to 11 and got mould so basically 10 weeks max

My last grow was done in 9 weeks from germination.

Main Advantage is small size and speed....The heads mature more quickly because you can run 24 hour lighting when flowering. Preferably 18/6 lighting.

Males will show sex at around day 14, so it's quick to find out what sex they are.

Disadvantage is you can't successfully clone them, the yield is not as high as the Photo variety, Not quite as potent either, but still very good smoko.

Even a small Auto will produce at least 1 oz if cared for correctly.

I regularly get 4 or more Ounces from 250 watt HPS and 2 or 3 Autos in under 10 weeks from seed in a standard size fridge.

More than enough for personal use

Good post.

post-11113-1257163885_thumb.jpg post-11113-1213908442_thumb.jpg

post-11113-1218023923_thumb.jpg post-11113-0-47344400-1326879447_thumb.jpg

Maybe the question should be "Are the advantages of auto's worth the disadvantages?"

The Legends Ultimate Indica clones above finished like a stick growing buds, minimal leaf to trim, short as any auto, guaranteed heaps more potent...

Those clones could be sat outside and smokeable between 5 - 8 weeks. The difference was keeping a mother and making use of a cloning tray.

Auto's seem to be an attractive option for growers who don't want to grow lol ...

Another downside that often gets over looked is the numbers that need to be grown to get a worthy result. Why risk running foul of the law growing 10 midgets instead of 2-3 clones and a bonsai mother, worth checking state laws on that one, Qld is ok up to 100, NSW your up the creek with 10 (indoors).

Personally I don't like auto flowers because I don't like the idea of those genes further muddying the gene pool with weaker ruderalis, simple really.

How can people continue to grow stuff like this if lazy gardeners have ruined the gene pool?...

post-11113-0-29927100-1324322117_thumb.jpg post-11113-0-07634400-1324322070_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Good post.

Maybe the question should be "Are the advantages of auto's worth the disadvantages?"

The Legends Ultimate Indica clones above finished like a stick growing buds, minimal leaf to trim, short as any auto, guaranteed heaps more potent...

Those clones could be sat outside and smokeable between 5 - 8 weeks. The difference was keeping a mother and making use of a cloning tray.

Auto's seem to be an attractive option for growers who don't want to grow lol ...

Another downside that often gets over looked is the numbers that need to be grown to get a worthy result. Why risk running foul of the law growing 10 midgets instead of 2-3 clones and a bonsai mother, worth checking state laws on that one, Qld is ok up to 100, NSW your up the creek with 10 (indoors).

Personally I don't like auto flowers because I don't like the idea of those genes further muddying the gene pool with weaker ruderalis, simple really.

How can people continue to grow stuff like this if lazy gardeners have ruined the gene pool?...

Good points but not everyone has the extra room at home to have a separate mother tent. I know i don't, but if I did then I would be doing just what you have suggested. clone and grow potent single Cola weed.....Great looking plants BTW Bufo, I trust they were yours.

The other point is if you grow more than 6 plants at a time Indoors ( Hydro any time of the year) regardless of what they are then you are clearly not JUST growing for personal use. :twiddle:

Unless you are just plain shit at growing.

As for the Gene pool....Overall all variety's are getting more an more potent.

By far and away Auto's are still ideal for space limited growers, like myself. I have grown Photo variety's in my Grow Fridge, but to keep them under control height wise I have to tip the crap out of them, which only produces bushy plants.....I fucking hate TRIMMING! and this takes an extra month at least.

I have never been able to get a photo variety to go to head in under 5 weeks.

Those headed up Clones like very very tasty Bufo.. :pimp:

Edited by buzzo
  • Downvote 1

The other point is if you grow more than 6 plants at a time Indoors ( Hydro any time of the year) regardless of what they are then you are clearly not JUST growing for personal use. :twiddle:

That's a bit arbitary, not all of us are light smokers like yourself.

I agree Lou, that's a full on Today Tonight style 'statistic' right there.

There are many reasons to have more than 6 plants for personal use but I won't bother making a list.

The fact that a smoker/grower believes this shows just how much work needs to be done in educating the public (factually) about Cannabis.

Naycha :peace:

• Upvote 3

Great looking plants BTW Bufo, I trust they were yours.

Those headed up Clones like very very tasty Bufo.. :pimp:

The LUI clones were mine and I've grown Super Silver Haze, Blueberry, Skunk No1 and many other varieties that way also. The SSH finished another foot or so taller.

The outdoors are plants my friend grows every year on the sunny coast. 100 females 15 foot from seed he makes every year. Starts with 240-250 seedlings and culls the males. He'd be spewin if his plants started flowering at a foot tall let me tell ya lol

There are lots of ways to grow small plants without compromising quality or yield and the time taken... what's the difference between 10 weeks and 14 weeks? If you don't have the nuts to keep it together for a couple months I'd advise not to try growing cannabis as you'll end up stressed out and paranoid. These are a few more of mine, the screen grow was in the 700 x 700 x 2000mm grow fridge.

post-11113-1258156663_thumb.jpg

post-11113-1219116217_thumb.jpg

post-11113-1207506010_thumb.jpg

post-11113-1207506056_thumb.jpg

post-11113-1208808894_thumb.jpg

As for the Gene pool....Overall all variety's are getting more an more potent.

Totally disagree with that, from personal experience, on balance plants grown outdoors in the 60ies through 80ies were more potent than todays strains. It's another example of Police/Media hype trying to scare the bejuses out of the population.

Personal use, very subjective, I know quite a few people who use over an ounce a week, takes a number of plants to get a years supply just for personal.

The outdoors are plants my friend grows every year on the sunny coast. 100 females 15 foot from seed he makes every year. Starts with 240-250 seedlings and culls the males. He'd be spewin if his plants started flowering at a foot tall let me tell ya

Love those plants, seen 2000 15/25 foot Mullumbimby Madness in full flower, it's a sight to behold lol.

Trimming on the other hand is a nightmare .....

don't think I'd grow auto's but I have recommended auto's to my first-time grower sister.

She's in a medical US state and can buy auto beans pretty easy.

My recommendations were for reasons like

the short flowering time will give her a chance to try many strains in a short time.

can have multiple plants growing all under the one light w/o worry (if inside)

they will stay short enough so neighbours can't see over the 8 foot fences

she smokes less than 1oz/month

she's not interested in anything but smoking buds (no hash, cooking etc)

For her, starting with autos IMO will just be easier in the long run.

• Upvote 1

I know quite a few people who use over an ounce a week

Must be crap smoko then.

One cone of my Auto Smoko will keep you well bent for 2 hours...Assuming you are awake for 16 hours a day, and stay stoned the whole time.

That's 8 Cones per day or around 1 gram per day X 7 days = 7 Grams a week rounded up to 1/4 Ounce per week.

So if you smoke more than that, you need to get yourself some better smoko!

I think I have been misunderstood...When I stated 6 plants...I mean 6 plants at a time and not necessarily Autos....keeping in mind you can easily do 3 runs per annum, or 4 if they are Auto's

6 X 3 = 18 at say 5 Ounces per plant for photo plants = 90 Ounces per annum or over 1.5 Ounces per week, and if you are smoking more than that then like I say you better get yourself some better seed stock

Edited by buzzo
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I'm doing my first run in a while and they're autos. Not in it at the moment for yield, just looking to get my shit together with growing again. But in saying that, it's been a lot of fun seeing these things grow so fast. After I do a proper run during the cooler months, I may opt to go the auto route for variety. Given their size, I could probably get 6 different strains in there all flowering pretty close together.

One photo run a year for my main bud, then maybe one or two auto runs to stock up med cabinet doesn't sound too bad to me. :)

I understand I could scrog etc to keep size to a minimum, so I guess it's more the variety I'm going for from a single grow space.

I've also got a mate who has a perpetual grow outside with autos. He's staggered planting times to have a harvest every couple of weeks year round.