Growing outdoors and Understanding Light hours.

I am almost at a 12 hours a day, BUT, I am still below 13 hours of light., by planting now in preflower, she managed to get enough flowering time to stay in flower. More than 3 Weeks flowering time is advisable if you want them to stay in Flower and not Re-Veg, befoe 13 hours of light..

So with almost 12 hours of light, I still had around 30 days or more to get the girl enough into flower before it would want to Re-veg.

From my findings, Imo, I think 30 days is the latest you want to leave it before Daylight hour length gets to 13 hours. Work it out to 12.5 hours just to be safe.

That ensures ya very early Christmas buds...hehe. Like 1-2 months early.....

Nibbler I've been reading this topic with interest and am looking for advice re forcing early flowering outdoors.

Basically I'm curious as to how far into flower a plant needs to be to not reveg as the days get longer, as they are now.

I have a couple of plants that are around 6 weeks old [though small as they have endured many chilly nights and some pretty cool days too]. 

My intent as soon as they show pre-flowers to start bringing them inside early each night to force flowering in the hope of early [though at this rate probably not Christmas!] buds. 

In the past when I've done this I've continued to bring them indoors until harvested.  But from your post I assume that's overkill and once a plant is sufficiently far into flowering mode it won't revert to vegetative state.  Would this still apply even under our shortest nights [approx. 8.5 hours at the solstice in my location]?   I'm trying this with a soil grow for the first time and I'd not factored in how bloody heavy the pots are compared to perlite - not ideal for lugging around every day anyway.

I also have a couple of plants that have been 12/12 from seed.  For the last week I've been bringing them inside daily to ensure they remain on a 12/12 regime.  It is now approx. 1 week since they started flowering.  How far into flowering would you restrict the light hours for?

post-51352-0-07798000-1381286407_thumb.jpg

post-51352-0-22663100-1381286465_thumb.jpg

post-51352-0-24022200-1381286536_thumb.jpg

Hi Crowsange, I'm not Nibbler but I do grow outdoors during the winter-spring period in Victoria (approx 35 South latitude). In my experience there is no stage of flowering from which a photoperiod sensitive plant wont revert to vegetative growth. If the light hours are sufficient to support vegetative growth - flowering plants will revert to vegetative growth (unless they are auto flowering plants).

This spring, I have already had two hybrids revert to vegetative growth (a skunk#1/sativa cross and an afghani/jack flash). These plants had been outside, in short days, since july so they had been in flower for quite a long time before reverting.

Indica dominant strains usually last a bit longer. Around here, most indica dom skunks will revert by the beginning of November... I've found pure indicas require quite long light hours to revert (14hrs30mins or longer). Hash Plant is the only strain I haven't managed to reveg in the spring (after flowering indoors during the winter). I put them outside in October with some skunks, the skunks went like clock work but the HP's just kept flowering. Come mid Novemeber, they began to revert but ran out of puff and died.

To answer your second question about the plants that have been 12/12 since seed - restrict the length of day for the whole of flowering unless you have an auto flowering strain.

I feel for you, I remember what it was like lugging pots of soil in and out to maintain flowering.

One last thing... Bubblefuck #3 looks like it might be a boy. :gardening:

• Upvote 2

Hi Crowsange, I'm not Nibbler but I do grow outdoors during the winter-spring period in Victoria (approx 35 South latitude). In my experience there is no stage of flowering from which a photoperiod sensitive plant wont revert to vegetative growth. If the light hours are sufficient to support vegetative growth - flowering plants will revert to vegetative growth (unless they are auto flowering plants).

This spring, I have already had two hybrids revert to vegetative growth (a skunk#1/sativa cross and an afghani/jack flash). These plants had been outside, in short days, since july so they had been in flower for quite a long time before reverting.

Indica dominant strains usually last a bit longer. Around here, most indica dom skunks will revert by the beginning of November... I've found pure indicas require quite long light hours to revert (14hrs30mins or longer). Hash Plant is the only strain I haven't managed to reveg in the spring (after flowering indoors during the winter). I put them outside in October with some skunks, the skunks went like clock work but the HP's just kept flowering. Come mid Novemeber, they began to revert but ran out of puff and died.

To answer your second question about the plants that have been 12/12 since seed - restrict the length of day for the whole of flowering unless you have an auto flowering strain.

I feel for you, I remember what it was like lugging pots of soil in and out to maintain flowering.

One last thing... Bubblefuck #3 looks like it might be a boy. :gardening:

Thanks heaps for the clarification Lousie.  Looks like I will be lugging pots for some time to come!

I've had a good look at Bubblefuck # 3 and can only see pistils, I will keep a close eye on it though.

Cheers.

Heya crowsange, they are 3 females mate, ............................... and I AM the Hash Nibbler, and this is MY thread Louise. If I'm asked a question directly in my thread, I'll answer it, not you madam.

Mate they will reveg if ya don't keep them under 12/13 hours.

You guys are throwing ya plants out in flower, so ANY increase in light will make them reveg. The thread is about throwing them out after at least 18hr veg cycle inside, and after plants show pre flowers. They are still in a vegetative state when put out, they go to flower and get so far in before light starts getting too long,  they stay in flower.

To be honest Crowsange, I'd veg em inside on 18/6 or 20/4, so ya get a bit of size to them, then throw em out early/mid august. Make for more buds.

Peace. Nibbler.

Oh, and thanks Nancy..... its an interesting topic =) .

Edited by The Hash Nibbler
  • Upvote 1

Hey guys,

I know this was started ages ago but I had a question to ask and this post seemed perfect. If you were to have a clone rooted and starting to grow half way through May (2014) and now it's flowering with some buds ready to be taken off in a few weeks as well as other parts of the plant still pretty well vegging. What is the future looking like for this plant do you guys reckon? once it starts to get hotter and longer days I'm not sure if she'll go back to veg or keep flowering - no idea.

Thanks gang

Old question but will answer just for reference sake.

May is hell early to go outside. I usually go late august/ start sept..... but already have them going inside on 18 hours of light before they go out so it triggers the flower stage.

No matter what you do..... if it revegitates it will continue to until light hours are shorter.... and remember you dont have to rely on nature to keep light hours short..... you can just cover them earlier than the sun sets every day or put them in an area that doesnt get full light ALL day.

I have played around with this and found I can get dec/jan buds... then sometimes they reveg after....sometimes not, just stay flowering as winter approaches and days get shorter.

I have 2 out somewhere... one a G13 x Hawaiian sativa (Barneys G13 haze) starting to alternate new growth ready to flower,

yet I have also a G13 x Afghan x Nevilles A5 haze (Barneys Tangerine dream)

That has pre flowered but still in veg mode.

I am starting to lean towards the idea that more indica leaning strains will flower quicker when thrown from 18hrs inside and the more sativa strains take longer to turn or may on occasion even stay in veg and follow the normal season.

Not too fussed.... some by chrissy, some later means no bulk trimming....

I just find the triggering of the plants interesting.

You can make your plants do what you want even outdoors with a little planning.

Happy growing.

Nibs.