Growing outdoors and Understanding Light hours.

Excellent addition lou lou :) , good info. :thumbsup: Yeah, quite a bit of difference between the two ways of measuring the hours. Also if outdoor growers that have experience growing outside the normal fathers day to mothers day regime, put your findings and grow tips below....... Cheers to Rev and Ratty for the additional info too. :bongon:

Peace. Gh72.

Well I promised some Pic's , forgive me if my dates are a lil abstract trying to piece together when and what went in where.....:blink:

Ok, First Pineapple chunk I put outside was a Pheno #2, low yielder I was trying to cross woith a WW , but it didn't want to accept the pollen, maybe bad timing on my part......:wallbash:

This plant was vegged for 4-5 weeks under a fluro on 18/6 then had 12 clones taken from all the good tips including the main shoot.....

Then she went out into the Garden on 22nd of July , and lets say for arguements sake my latitude is same as Perths.........

post-38794-0-15994500-1319081922_thumb.jpg

Which makes it 46 minutes lower than a 12/ 12 day...............

The Daylength gets longer by roughly 1 minutes a day...............so I calculate I can probably push until 12 maybe 13 hours with this Indica Dom strain before it would re-veg. Sativas can be a bit more tricky, due to the length of flowering time.

(PLEASE NOTE-I am using actual light hours-not sunrise to sunset- actual daylight is longer by about an hour or so)

That gives me roughly a month or so..maybe more to get it so far into flower that it Can't reveg and just finishes normally.

Please note, these Vegged plants were mature and showing Pre flowers in 18/6 Before they went out.............. very important for the plant to be ready to go, if ya gotta flower fast, to get em right into flower before the days get too long.......... this girl took 1 week to show flowers...........

post-38794-0-83187200-1319081951_thumb.jpg

I pulled that plant 1 week ago, it is dried and now curing, quite fluffy, but it was a bad yielder to begin with, was more so an experiment for breeding that didn't work.lol ....... post-38794-0-68316500-1319082010_thumb.jpg post-38794-0-75537400-1319082075_thumb.jpg

Smokes up OK though and the flowering time was quite short. I was suprised. Maybe the strain.

This Girl went out 4 weeks after the Pheno #2, this is "Pinelapy", my prized Pheno #1 PC . So she went out with the same amont of clone taking/ Tipping done. Planted out in Preflower on roughly the 22nd of August. Outdoor Greenhouse Scrog =)

post-38794-0-44465300-1319081984_thumb.jpg post-38794-0-98688900-1319082122_thumb.jpg post-38794-0-91736900-1319081863_thumb.jpg

Daylight hours for the 22nd of August were, 11 hours and 57 minutes, this is where it gets confusing.....

I am almost at a 12 hours a day, BUT, I am still below 13 hours of light., by planting now in preflower, she managed to get enough flowering time to stay in flower. More than 3 Weeks flowering time is advisable if you want them to stay in Flower and not Re-Veg, befoe 13 hours of light..

So with almost 12 hours of light, I still had around 30 days or more to get the girl enough into flower before it would want to Re-veg.

From my findings, Imo, I think 30 days is the latest you want to leave it before Daylight hour length gets to 13 hours. Work it out to 12.5 hours just to be safe.

That ensures ya very early Christmas buds...hehe. Like 1-2 months early.....

Here is Pinelapy today, Daylight hours are at 13.5 hours a day.....she still budding her nut off..............

post-38794-0-29032500-1319084767_thumb.jpg post-38794-0-78533200-1319084838_thumb.jpg

post-38794-0-81283000-1319084883_thumb.jpg post-38794-0-43424000-1319084691_thumb.jpg

I would advise for the really early plantings, like in late July / August, maybe a Greenhouse or some kind of cover to keep them from frosts and too much moisture, as my plants get more into flower I open the Greenhouse right up to allow more airflow and reduce the risk of Bud rot. the Pheno #2 had one tiny bit on one bud, but Pinelapy in the Scrog, has shown none at all............. Lubbly

That is about as late as you can leave it, as in this example of a Perth climate and Latitude.................

Kinda fun to have Kuta buds outta season, or ya could just buy some Autos and just chuck em in any time with a small fluro/ L.E.D. to extend the daylight hours to 18/6. What fun would that be though, when you could rack ya brain with working out light hours. lol

But for me I like em Big and Bushy........if I weren't in the Burbs, I'd have trees. Tarzan vine swingin Trees.............Peace.

Gh72 :bongon:

Edited by Grasshopper72
  • Upvote 1

Bumped for people to add any more info....... peace. Gh72

God damn man, those buds look really frosty. Nice work on the horizontal trellising. That greenhouse has given you something to be proud of outdoors so early on in the season, when most people are still preparing for their outdoor run you have some serious smoko. Fark yeah nice work mate :bongon:

Edited by Anthesis

Cheers Anthesis, lovin the S.o.A badge ya got. I sat down a few months back, watched the whole lot, kick arse show.

Mate the outdoor scrog is lovely, smell is soooo sweet. Farkkin house smells like pineapples inside and out. lol

I just wanted to see iif it could be done, had a theory on paper but then wanted to see it work in reality , cAme up good.

Say its got about 4-5 weeks to go. Gotta give it some love today :) . Once I got the Scrog screen set up and trained and trimmed it has been a joy to grow.

I even use slow release PK because I'm lazy.lol Hopefully working out light hours will help someone next year. Peace. Gh72

Soooo according to the light theory using autos for a winter crop is a good idea after all?...am I right? :twiddle:

My winter bagseed crop has been flowering foreva and it's just not thickening up. I'm guessing because it's confused.

BTW...great info...thanks :yahoo:

Heya Kazzam......seen as Auto's are not triggered to flower by light hours, and will flower in any amount of light, yeah they be good. But autos be better to grow under 18 hours of light, as they flower best when pumped from the very start.

If ya got ya crop in an area you can cover over like a shade house or a tunnel, you could cover it and just open it up to light for 12 hours a day, maybe 11 hours to get the sati's flowering earlier.

Outdoor buds in my experience are never as solid as indoors under lights, but they should still be decent and thick. Check the tops of the buds and if your getting single basil type leaves in them, they may be wanting to re-veg as light hours increase.

Thats all I can recommend man, hope it helps, and theres a few diaries on Autos, seen as I dont grow em, that will give ya an idea how to grow em well outdoors.

Peace. Nibbler.