12-1 good or no good?

I'm doing my first indoor and liked the idea of 5 hours less light on the girls so jumped straight into the 12-1 system. It seems to be humming along really well but as it's my first indoor I don't know if I could have achieved quicker results with the standard 18-6. so if you could let me know if you've tried it and is it as good as 18-6

thanks

Puks

hey Puka there is a lot of discussion about this... but as yet no proof that it works and no answers to the questions that very experienced growers have asked regarding it...

i'm not saying it doesn't work, just saying there's been no test to show it works.. no side by side grows ... nothing at all to support it yet..

the plants i have seen using 12/1 do not compare to the one's i and many others have grown at the same age under 18/6 ..

basically if you get your temps, airflow, medium/nutes, lights, humidity and a cpl of other things right you will have beautiful lush plants that are grown under a 100% tried and true method...

just my opinion of course :thumbsup:

:peace:

• Upvote 2

This is a very interesting subject. I can understand why people wouldn't want to try something new when the old way works fine, but with power bills going through the roof these days it is a method that is attractive. I have to say after three weeks my plants are powering along under 12-1, much better results than I ever achieved outside. I am concerned though that it will take longer to get to the finnished product. The sooner I can shut down the room the better.. It appears the only people trying this are Vrod, Norm and myself. as i am an amature I will not count myself but vrod and norm claim to have around 30 years growing experience behind them each, so that is quite a bit of experience and hard to deny that they have a good idea on what does and does not work. I didn't think the pic between GH and vrods pine chunks were to different. GH's were slighty bigger at day 35 but they did have an extra couple of days as vrods were only at day 30 (i think) And I do think that vrods plants seemed to be bushier than GH's. But that said the differences at 30-35 days could have been due to much more than just light timing, anything from nute strength to light height to genetics.. These are the only pics I have seen to compare.. It's a tricky one that's for sure.

This is a very interesting subject. I can understand why people wouldn't want to try something new when the old way works fine, but with power bills going through the roof these days it is a method that is attractive. I have to say after three weeks my plants are powering along under 12-1, much better results than I ever achieved outside. I am concerned though that it will take longer to get to the finnished product. The sooner I can shut down the room the better.. It appears the only people trying this are Vrod, Norm and myself. as i am an amature I will not count myself but vrod and norm claim to have around 30 years growing experience behind them each, so that is quite a bit of experience and hard to deny that they have a good idea on what does and does not work. I didn't think the pic between GH and vrods pine chunks were to different. GH's were slighty bigger at day 35 but they did have an extra couple of days as vrods were only at day 30 (i think) And I do think that vrods plants seemed to be bushier than GH's. But that said the differences at 30-35 days could have been due to much more than just light timing, anything from nute strength to light height to genetics.. These are the only pics I have seen to compare.. It's a tricky one that's for sure.

hey puka im sure hot rod is giving it ago to i rekon do what works for ya mate . and ya right mate the power is going up and up and up but hey its still better than paying between 300 plus from a usless dealer that is still damp or sometimes wet i really cant afford to buy from shitty dealesrs even if i could afford it im a real picky basterd any way enuf me ranting moral of story if it works mate go for it i would love to see someone do 2 grows side by side exact strain,light,grow room, same level of nutes ect with diffrent lighting schedule of course :bongon:

Seems like you are debating for 12-1 and are happy with it so mate keep going and see how you go...............I am on my first indoor grow as well and for me the first time out I am sticking with tried and true methods to maximise my chances of getting a good result..........personally I am not interested in changing the methods that the peoples of the world use for growing indoors nor am i interested in proving that it DOESNT at the expense of MY first grow..........As a newbie I have sat and watched this 12-1 debate from the start and the one thing i am a little disappointed in regardless of the topic is that someone has spruiked the method/theory whatever you wanna call it without testing it first thoroughly FOR THEMSELVES.............just doesnt seem to be the way we do things on OZSTONERS...........30 years of growing experience is awesome i agree and they have both probably forgotten more about growing weed than I know however how many years of experience do they have growing using the 12-1 method?? Answer as much as you do.................not saying it dont work just advising newbies who come along like me and want good advise and good results maybe stick with the tried and true first time out
  • Upvote 2

@ Anakha, You make a god point about using a tried and true method as a noob grower, and believe me I am tempted to switch to 18-6 just to be safe. But the growth on these plants is phenomenal, I have one that came froma sativa mother with big fat leaves like an indica and five that come from indica with big and even fatter fat leaves too. The parents of these plants grew nothing like this outside. Is it normal to have three week old plants with leaves that are about the size of an a5 piece of paper indoors cause I never had anything like that outside, they are also growing nodes so close together, showing no sign of stretch, I'm loving it.. I have to say though they got off to a pretty slow start it took them two weeks of some very slow growing, but as soon as I transplanted them into big pots and put them on full nutes they just took off, I just hope they keep growing at this rate, I'll have em flowering in a couple of weeks.. The only thing I'm debating for is fat buds fast. Joe P may well be a shitforbrains dickstain, but it doesn't mean the method doesn't work, however I ddid just read his original article and it was written at 3 oçlock in the morning,.....

I'm really not that interested in getting into this whole argument, but does the light schedule suppose to change genetics of plants (ie leaf size) ?

i just assume the plant is compensating for reduced photoperiod, bigger leaves to catch more of the limited energy available

plant isnt going to stretch cause its flatout making abnormally big leaves

not a genetic change per se

i just assume the plant is compensating for reduced photoperiod, bigger leaves to catch more of the limited energy available

plant isnt going to stretch cause its flatout making abnormally big leaves

not a genetic change per say

Good point frazz.. Might be good to start on 12-1 to get the large shade leaves then flick over to 18-6 and it'll be able to use those big leaves to photosynthesise the extra light..