Seedlings yellowing

Hey fellas.

I'm growing 2 plants inside a computer case (yeah i know..not the best idea, but its just for fun) and the oldest one has been growing well, but ive noticed yellowing tips of leaves. I've taken pictures but you cant really see it the same as in real life of course. its not serious..but i guess it could get serious if the problem isnt addressed.

post-24-1066449549_thumb.jpg

heres another pic.

can someone suggest possible causes, and solutions? i dont intend to spend much money on this project..so if it involves lotsa $..my lil fellas are just gonna have to do the best they can with what theyve got :D

*could it be watering? ive tried not to water them too much, like a bit every day..not much. from what ive read the soil's meant to be pretty dry.

*shrugs*

thanks guys

post-24-1066449822_thumb.jpg

G'day Boff and welcome to Ozstoners.

The little fella's or should I say little ladies (hopefully), have got a long way to go to get established.....the little round leaves that form first (called Cotyldons) supply the growing seed with nutrients until the roots and second set of leaves start to grow. The reason they are turning yellow is because they have served their purpose and will soon die and drop off. The yellowing on the second set of leaves might be caused from over watering....plants that small dont need to be watered every day and too much water deprives the roots of much needed oxygen so I would keep them warm and let them dry out more and I'm sure you will find the yellowing will disappear as the plants get bigger.

oh ok yeah i kinda have been doing that with watering already (dont a bit of research). my friends planted the seeds and germinated them so i wasnt there, but they used miracle grow.

Im using a 48W CF and a 18W CF about 5-10cm away, with a computer case fan blowing over the lights and lightly over the plants aswell. i figure thatll be good for stem growth (?) yes?

but back to watering, i dont feel i have been over watering. if i havent, what are some other causes?

thanks guys

my friends planted the seeds and germinated them so i wasnt there, but they used miracle grow.

Ahh, now that could be the problem.....a plant that size should'nt need any fertiliser in a pot that big untill it is well established I would say that the plants have been overfed with nutrients causing the burning of the leaf tips.

I have a plant thats now into its fourth week of flowering in a pot that size with nice little buds forming and I have never given it any ferts.

I'll post a pic as soon as the lights go on and I can remove it from the growroom.

When the soil dries out more, it would be wise to flush the soil with clean water to wash out the excess nutrients. :D

Thanks for your help guys.

I think flushing the soil is a good idea. The soil is damp at the moment, so should i wait till it dries, or can i do it now? i assume that all you do is water it heaps and let the water drain straight out..so perhaps putting the pot ontop of something raised so the water can just drip right out..

you guys love your growing :o nice to see people helping eachother for a good cause. If only i had the same help for homework :D

Your soil needs to drain very well if it is to be flushed otherwise you could waterlog your plants, the burning is rather mild and will not affect the plants that much if just give them water from now on. At that size I would be tempted to carefully transplant them into a good well draining potting mix rather than flush them.