Got bloody black spidermites!

Get some Avid mite spary. It kills the fuckers like nothin I've seen.

Peace

Vaz

ed - I was just thinkin today that with the rain we've had in Vic, when it hots up we're gonna have a prick of a mite season round December.

Ooh, I'll have to get some new stockings.

Edited by wassily

I had mites on w/w. Four weeks into flower and I see a webb on the main cola of 1 of 4 plants. Being widow I'd seen the white spots but mistook them for the white stalks widow is known for. Within days I see little black things all over the bottom of the leaves on all the plants

anyhow Panic! Panic! Down to the local hydro shop and he gives me

Hortico Kelthane Red Spider Miticide. Active ingredients:

75g/l Dicofol, Solvent: 740g/l & Metho.

Was'nt happy about spraying plants that far into flower, however hydro bloke assured me they'de be alright - claims he used it on his own crop.That musta been bullshit.

Sprayed them without lights on, left 2- 2x20wt fluro's on & run fans flat out.

Next day plants s were droopy & looked sick and fuck me if I could'nt see the little black bastards still running around.

Cut a long story short - they died. I ended up with nothing after 2 mths hard work. I should have known. Should have joined Oz Stoners sooner.

Don't use this one, and put a cover around the base of the plant to stop any of the shit getting into your pot. :D

That's why I don't like kelthane, if it doesn't kill your plant, it might seriously hurt you.... It's about as nasty as DDT... Hows that strike ya. :D

And then it makes for even worse probs for not only you but others, as they develop quick resistance to it. And that just makes em harder to kill the next time. :P

Oh, and Skankmaster, can you answer my q about the pyrethrum effects? I'd like to know what your experience was, as it may help others avoid such problems in the future. Thanks man. :o

It was Pyrethrum in the white "sharpshooter" bottle that you buy at bunnings/big w etc...you also get the one with added garlic.

I sprayed at about 5 day intervals just before lights out, at first there was a decline in mites but then the fuckers just went bunta, guess they got used to it as the bastards were swimming in the shit and it never killed em. I also flushed the medium afterwards in case any drippage affected the plant.

Thanks for that man... yeah, them pyrethrum sprays on their own won't kill mites... it's a natural insecticide either extracted from a type of daisy or there is a synthetic analogue I think... Anyway... Mites are much tougher than pyrethrum will help... Bitches need a physical kick to kill usually.

Also, there's a new botanical oil product out there called "Eco Oil" which has a similar effect to white oil, in that it's a physical killer, but it's made from canola and other essential oils, and has been approved for greenhouse use in control of whitefly, aphids, and other vegetable pests.

Haven't tried it yet, but I'd love to and probably will this summer... my outdoor garden always gets attacked in summer... :D