Trip to Bunnings

After going through a few cheapie fans i decided to get a goodie. You can get fans that are designed for continuous operation at hydro stores, bunnings or fans shops, the difference being they have bearings instead of bushings. They are a lot quiter as well and for the extra 50 or 60 bucks they are well worth it.

If you have a fan beginning to slow down and get a little dodgy, spray a little wd40 into where the bushings are, this will give it a new lease on life and make it last a little longer.

Yeah Chipotle there are a few lookers at my local bunnings too, and they make the best 5 buck breakfast at the cafe there too...

what makes the more expensive fans better?? is it the ballbearings? quietness or the volume of air they move??

In my hydro shop they have these little fans that look like large computer fans, are these better than cheap 250s???

some of the computer type fans have wall plugs but then some of them dont.

So how would you connect the ones without the plugs??

Iam starting to aquire the required equipment, and plan to try a grow inside of my double built in wardrobe.

My wardrobe has a socket in it, that was for a tv in the wardrobe. So Iam planning on using it.

Only problem is with the double wardrobe, what fans would I need?? would an expensive 250mm hydro fan be enough??

Where would I get the fresh air from? I can put a vent inside the wardrobe that would take the air from the cavity between the outside bricks and the inside walls, this air gap is the house ventilation, is this enough?

or do I need to organise an inlet as well as an exhaust fan?

I would prefer to use as less plugs as possible though.

1%er

Edited by OFFO_1%er_AOA

Whew, letting them q's rip eh offo? lol

Let's see....

what makes the more expensive fans better?? is it the ballbearings? quietness or the volume of air they move??

The more expensive fans, as you've referred to them, are better because they are rated for continuous use. They are specifically designed to work smoother and over long periods of time, without danger or overload. They're usually quieter, but they're also usually able to move a much large quantity of air, I'm getting a 250mm Hydro Turbo soon, which is rated much, much higher than the normal exhaust fans you'd get from bunnings at a similar size. It has to do with the power, technolgy and design.

In my hydro shop they have these little fans that look like large computer fans, are these better than cheap 250s???

It depends really, once again, they must be rated for continuous use, and good quality. I use a 120mm computer style fan as my only exhaust, and my temps are fine for most of the year, I only run into trouble in summer really... Mine moves 2.5 m3 a min, which is about 2 times the volume of my space in 5 mins. You'd want to get that down to every min or more often in summer or high temps. A couple of the smaller fans in a double wardrobe should be more than adequate. Oh, and I don't use an active intake, just a single passive... Adding another would probably drop my temps another few degrees, but quite frankly, I can't be fugged at the mo, I have to make a better one when I get the new fan soon anyway, so I should survive...

some of the computer type fans have wall plugs but then some of them dont.

So how would you connect the ones without the plugs??

Hmmm... not too sure about that, but I'd say you'd be better getting one ready for use, rather than screwing around with one that's not really meant to be used like that. Still, I'm sure someone here would know, anyone who does is welcome to come to the plate. ;)

Iam starting to aquire the required equipment, and plan to try a grow inside of my double built in wardrobe.

My wardrobe has a socket in it, that was for a tv in the wardrobe. So Iam planning on using it.

Firstly, are you sure all of the equipment is in good order? How old is the bulb and what kind is it? At the very least you'll need a new bulb, as they're pretty useless after a few grows. And sterilise everything, bugs and moulds can come into growrooms in all sorts a ways, and can lie dormant for a long time. Anything that ain't electrical, sterilise with 10% bleach or similar.

If your built in wardrobe has a power socket in it, I wouldn't grow in it if I were you. And if you do decide to, I'd waterproof the heck out of it and run a lead up to a powerboard in a nice, high, dry place. I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again, 'tis better to smoke your buds, than have your buds smoke you.... Be as safe as you can, because accidents can and will happen, all it takes is one puddle of water or too high a humidity and you come along wasted sticking your fingers into your nice crop... take a wrong step and bam... bye bye grower. Probably set your house on fire too. But anyway, yeah, take it easy on the electricity, make sure all leads are safe and off the ground, and in a dry, well ventilated place.

Only problem is with the double wardrobe, what fans would I need?? would an expensive 250mm hydro fan be enough??

You'll do nicely with a good 250mm fan, that should move more than enuf air for ya. You'll also need a small oscillating fan, a 20-30cm pedestal would be great, or a couple of smaller ones in different places to simulate wind. Very important that. And you'll need an intake..... but I think you're next question covers that....

Where would I get the fresh air from? I can put a vent inside the wardrobe that would take the air from the cavity between the outside bricks and the inside walls, this air gap is the house ventilation, is this enough?

I think that should be okay, so long as you're not drawing air into the wardrobe itself without making sure you have some sort of filter on the outside of the intake... The intake will suck in a lot of dust and crap from that cavity if you dont... make it easily accessible and cleanable too... Rattdog suggested a low denier stocking as a filter on intakes, you could use this or a similar fine insect mesh.... That will also help to prevent any insects or pests from getting into the growroom... aside from the ones you bring in there, anyway. ;)

or do I need to organise an inlet as well as an exhaust fan?

I would prefer to use as less plugs as possible though.

You don't need an inlet fan, but some use it in warmer areas to boost thruflow. It's not necessary tho, as air will be pulled out of the room no matter how it gets in, just don't make the inlet too small... If it can't pull enough air in it will just end up straining the fan. Make sure it doesn't change in tone, speed or strength of air being pushed out when you close the doors, or you're straining the fan and it could seriously affect it's life. Better fans take it better, but it's still not advisable. You can get fan controllers which can change the speed of fans according to your needs. Bottom line, make sure the inlet is large enough to accomodate the exhaust being pulled thru, and ensure the system is closed from unwanted pests or other things. You may also wish to install a carbon filter or ozone generator for flowering smell, there are a few posts on these here, just use the search engine.

Anyway, hope that helps and answers some of your q's, if I've explained anything badly then just let me know and I'll elaborate for ya... or delaborate, as the case may be... ;)

Hee hee.. nah, just an uncontrolled urge to answer questions... And ask them too... lol Jedi training has very little to do with it. I was the kinda kid who asked questions so much my primary school teachers hated me. ;)

As a great master once said, *high pitched, gravelly voice* "...A closed mind and mouth is the path to the dark side... Always speak your mind, and teach to others that which you have learned, for there is little to be gained from secrecy or silence bar your own demise, and that of those around you..."

;) ;)