WA PASSES NEW CANNABIS BILL

australian_activist, you sound like a politician, a research scientist or a lawyer or similar, basically someone who was involved with or has closely followed these law changes but is not a true stoner. IOW, someone who has studied mj issues but never actually been a stoner themselves or know what it is to grow. A lot of your comments indicate a superficial knowledge made up of stereotypes and incorrect assumptions which reveal your lack of both personal experience and association with other stoners.

I very much doubt your credibility and the assumption that you are a true activist. Please prove me wrong.

Edited by pipeman

I agree Pipeman...sounds a bit out of touch to me... most of my mates smoke 1/4 a day or so.. easy 1 oz a week...

You and I both know that 10 plants yields an awful lot - far more than any sane person could consume over a few years

And am I right to assume you are the judge of what constitutes sane ?

That is the statement of someone who has no idea...go back to the rock you climbed out from under....no intelligent person generalises in such an ignorant manner ..

These kind of judgments are typical of someone who has no real understanding or experience in why some people may smoke MJ ...

Regards

Kash

Why is it that these researchers never seem to deal with the real world, if they were more genuine they would not have overlooked the internet, I found this site by a simple search on cannabis, limited to Aust., and personally I would welcome a chance to answer some of their questions.

National Drug Research Institute (NDRI) Doctoral Scholarships

Subject

Prevention of drug and alcohol related harm.

Research at NDRI is carried out in four broad areas, and staff are available to supervise in each of them:

Alcohol policy

Community and school interventions

Illicit drug use

Substance use among Indigenous Australians

Value

Each scholarship carries a stipend of $22,990 per year for a period of three years and recipients will receive a full waiver of tuition fees.

Tenable at

While the scholarships are only available to students who are either enrolled or intend to enrol at the NDRI at Curtin University of Technology in Perth, the possibility exists for students to undertake their research from a remote site.

Number available

Eligibility

Applications are invited from anyone with a health or relevant social science background who meet the following criteria:

be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Australia; and

hold, or expect to obtain, a good honours degree or equivalent.

Closing Date

31 October 2003.

Particulars from

For further information, please contact:

Associate Professor Dennis Gray

Graduate Studies Coordinator - NDRI

Tel: (08) 9266 1624

Email: d.gray@curtin.edu.au

There ya go, an easy thirty three thousand dollars

australian_activist, you sound like a politician, a research scientist or a lawyer or similar, basically someone who was involved with or has closely followed these law changes but is not a true stoner.  IOW, someone who has studied mj issues but never actually been a stoner themselves or know what it is to grow.  A lot of your comments indicate a superficial knowledge made up of stereotypes and incorrect assumptions which reveal your lack of both personal experience and association with other stoners.

I very much doubt your credibility and the assumption that you are a true activist.  Please prove me wrong.

We're all entitled to an opinion :rolleyes:

I don't smoke a lot of pot, I use it occasionally and in small amounts. If this disqualifies me for being a stoner, so be it.

I'll take the scientist/lawyer thing as a compliment, cheers. I've studied cannabis and these issues for a long time, and very closely followed this Bill. I don't associate with people based on whether they're a stoner or not, I associate with people I like. Some of them smoke, some of them don't. We've all got our own circles. If you'd point out some of these steretypes perhaps I can respond or contemplate them for a while?

I have no credibility, I'm not trying to prove anything. I do take action however, if you knew me in person you'd know how many hours a week I spend on this issue in my spare time.

I'm not trying to become something I'm not, if you guys don't consider me a true stoner because I don't talk like you, or don't smoke enough, or know a little more about this topic than the average person, whatever B) I have nothing to prove.

I agree Pipeman...sounds a bit out of touch to me... most of my mates smoke 1/4 a day or so.. easy 1 oz a week... 

You and I both know that 10 plants yields an awful lot - far more than any sane person could consume over a few years

And am I right to assume you are the judge of what constitutes sane ?

That is the statement of someone who has no idea...go back to the rock you climbed out from under....no intelligent person generalises in such an ignorant manner ..

These kind of judgments are typical of someone who has no real understanding or experience in why some people may smoke MJ ...

Regards

Kash

*shrug*

An ounce a week is a lot to smoke, you should think about switching to a vaporiser or using extracts.

Ok maybe the sane bit was a bit harsh, I certainly couldn't smoke that much in a single year. For me, that would be abuse - you guys must have a far greater tolerance and time for this than I do, ignoring medicinal use.

I only know why I use cannabis, I'm not really interested in why others use it just that they can without being punished in any way.

Guest Wilderbud
I don't associate with people based on whether they're a stoner or not, I associate with people I like.

Youd be dumb to think stoners are 'of one mind' although we usually all love having sessions with each other when the good weed is getting around. :rolleyes:

30grams is pathetic - it takes a month to dry weed and I could smoke an ounce a week easilly so having up to 150grams drying at one time could still be a personal amount IMHO. Anything over 1/4 Lb at one time is a commercial amount though IMO as you can smoke constantly and still only smoke an ounce each week [a joint every hour - a 30g tobacco pouch lasts me 1 week]. I doubt a commercial grower would grow less than 150g or an average personal grower would grow less than 30g [an ounce per plant isnt too hard with hydro].

NB. I dont see anything wrong with making money from growing/dealing marijuana but it is definately overpriced [same with tobacco - alcohol is too cheap (its evil!!!)].

I don't smoke a lot of pot, I use it occasionally and in small amounts.  If this disqualifies me for being a stoner, so be it.

Its not that at all, its that its obvious you have very little personal experience and were trying to pass yourself off as the average personal smoker by referring to your own MJ use. However any average MJ smoker who reads your posts will instantly realise you don't really know what you are talking about. Its not that anyone will have anything against you for not "fitting in", but they will if you try and represent yourself as something you're not.

I've studied cannabis and these issues for a long time, and very closely followed this Bill. I don't associate with people based on whether they're a stoner or not, I associate with people I like. Some of them smoke, some of them don't. We've all got our own circles. If you'd point out some of these steretypes perhaps I can respond or contemplate them for a while?

Thanks, you've confirmed that your opinions are from research and not personal experience. Nothing wrong with that, just now everyone knows where you're coming from. In terms of people you associate with, you missed the point. People can know about growing pot either by growing it themselves or knowing someone that does. You obviously have done neither. I know very few people outside of this site who I know smoke, and that really has nothing to do with it. But I do grow my own.

In terms of your stereotypes you have said many things that show you have no idea what you need to do to grow your own or how much the average smoker is likely to smoke. Spend some time reading this site, and you'll see for yourself.

I have no credibility, I'm not trying to prove anything. I do take action however, if you knew me in person you'd know how many hours a week I spend on this issue in my spare time.

I'm not trying to become something I'm not, if you guys don't consider me a true stoner because I don't talk like you, or don't smoke enough, or know a little more about this topic than the average person, whatever  I have nothing to prove.

OK so what do you actually do? I see you have a website but nothing's on it?

And BTW, it has nothing to do with being a "true" stoner, that was a stupid term I used. There is no such thing as a "true" stoner, no one fits in here, we are all different. The reason you got some harsh responses is because you are trying to pass yourself off as an authority on the issue when unwittingly you constantly give away the fact that you don't know what you're talking about. Your last comment of "I know a little more about this than the average person" is a perfect example. You may know a little more than the average person, but its obvious to everyone here but yourself it seems that you don't know more than the average grower. Please don't pretend to be an expert on the subject, you'll be laughed out of here.

This legislation is encouraging them to focus on commercial cultivators and suppliers - and personally, I want them to do this, this is a good thing. Cannabis quality and prices in Perth are absolute shite and it's been this way for a long time. I abhor unregulated commercial cultivation and supply, it's the worst possible situation for the consumer and society as a whole.

The worst possible situation for a consumer is exactly what this bill maintains. An unregulated commercial supply chain to the consumer who is DEMANDING POT! Going after those who are entering into cannabis cultivation for commercial gain, misses the point entirely. We need to have a regulated, health controlled and cheap commercial supply of cannabis for the recreational and medicinal market. By pushing the commercial cultivator of cannabis for drug use, (rec or med, it doesn't matter) into the criminal sphere, you are more likely to end up with other crimes being committed! If it was a legally regulated market like any other drug or commercial food or drug crop, then THEY WOULDN"T BE CRIMINALS GROWING THE GANGA! IT WOULD BE FARMERS!

They haven't made it easier for someone to get a stick of controlled quality cannabis they know won't be infected with spider mites, all kinds of harmful insecticides, and not to mention aspergillus molds and other possible problems with unregulated illicit supply. They've just made it harder. Because like it or not, most people buy their cannabis from commercial cultivators. I don't like it, that's why I grow my own. But to make arbritrary restrictions on the industry which are based on nothing more than hysteria and vested interests DOES NOT EQUAL REFORM TO ME!

I'm still a criminal under this legislation, because I grow 2 plants hydroponically, and I grow through cloning. I harvested about 8 ounces of prime bud from my plants, and I know that won't last me more than a few months at most. And to cure the shit I have to hold onto it for a month at least... so I'm a commercial cultivator according to this law.... regardless of the fact that I grow for personal use.

As soon as I root my 10 clones which I pick the best of I'm a commercial cultivator. That's the law. And that's what they'll charge me with, because they reduced it to 10 plants....Which also means the penalties have effectively been increased for the avg personal grower, not decreased. Can you see the major flaws here? The legistlation has absolutely nothing to do with the real world, it is based on maintaining the present prohibition, and will not make life easier or better for anyone.

I was referring to the personal growers in WA who will be worse off, because quite frankly the commercial cultivators don't really give a shit. They're going to grow pounds of weed for the market because they can, and do get away with it. And if we don't get off our arses and regulate and legalise completly this aspect at the very least of the recreational drugs market, this kind of black market extraction of billions of dollars from the economy into the hands of criminals will continue.

Aussie activist, I think that this has shown that you are completely unaware of the realities in the personal and commercial production of cannabis in this country and state. What would you do to the market, keep commercial cultivation in the hands of criminals? Because by advocating this legistlation as

removing disproportionate punishment
you know that you are lying to yourself, and the public. Along with the Labour / Green senate and govt which we voted in to make these kinds of changes to this unbelievably ridiculous state of affairs.

Oh and on the hydro shop parts of the legistlation, yes, I've had a chat with my friend in the industry and they've confirmed that the specific part of the legistlation regarding liscencing has been dropped, but like you say, the parts regarding knowingly selling products which are to be used for cultivation, be that personal or commercial mind, and the charges which would result from that are still there. I STILL think this is going to cause a lot of trouble in the hydroponics industry, and simply pour money into the eastern states and foreign hydroponic retailers. Where would you rather the moneys generated from an industry the people obviously want in their state, (for christs sake, if the people don't want pot, why do they use it so much?) Would you like to see it invested in this states tax base and infrastructure and jobs and so on? Or go to some smarmy git selling cheap fridge grow rooms on the eastern seaboard to foolish newbies in Western Australia? hmmmm... I wonder.

If this law is a step in the right direction, then the kids legs were broken before he started the walk. :rolleyes:

I don't smoke a lot of pot, I use it occasionally and in small amounts.  If this disqualifies me for being a stoner, so be it.

Its not that at all, its that its obvious you have very little personal experience and were trying to pass yourself off as the average personal smoker by referring to your own MJ use. However any average MJ smoker who reads your posts will instantly realise you don't really know what you are talking about. Its not that anyone will have anything against you for not "fitting in", but they will if you try and represent yourself as something you're not.

I've re-read my posts and I can't see where I'm trying to pass myself off as the average smoker. Very little experience in what, growing? Absolutely, I've never grown in my life - but I do know quite a bit about it. Knowledge doesn't compare to experience, I'm not suggesting that, but I'm finding it really hard to understand why you guys think I don't know what I'm talking about here.

I've studied cannabis and these issues for a long time, and very closely followed this Bill. I don't associate with people based on whether they're a stoner or not, I associate with people I like. Some of them smoke, some of them don't. We've all got our own circles. If you'd point out some of these steretypes perhaps I can respond or contemplate them for a while?

Thanks, you've confirmed that your opinions are from research and not personal experience. Nothing wrong with that, just now everyone knows where you're coming from. In terms of people you associate with, you missed the point. People can know about growing pot either by growing it themselves or knowing someone that does. You obviously have done neither. I know very few people outside of this site who I know smoke, and that really has nothing to do with it. But I do grow my own.

My opinions on what, cultivation and yields? I never claimed how my opinions were formulated, if my tone made me sound high and mighty and know-it-all that was unintentional - I'm just sharing my thoughts here. Just because I've never grown doesn't mean I know nothing about it, certainly not potential yields and cannabinoid potency:age, flushing etc.

In terms of your stereotypes you have said many things that show you have no idea what you need to do to grow your own or how much the average smoker is likely to smoke.  Spend some time reading this site, and you'll see for yourself.

Well seeing as I haven't talked about cultivation, how to do it that is, I can't see how my posts show that I have no idea about how to grow. I'm the first to admit that I don't use anywhere near as much as the average smoker. I obviously had no idea just how much you guys smoke, it surprised the hell out of me to be honest, I've been thinking about it all day.

I'm not trying to become something I'm not, if you guys don't consider me a true stoner because I don't talk like you, or don't smoke enough, or know a little more about this topic than the average person, whatever  I have nothing to prove.

OK so what do you actually do? I see you have a website but nothing's on it?

As I said, I've got nothing to prove. I do many things - the news posting that started this thread off for instance. Yes that's my name - I'm starting to wish I used that instead of australian_activist on this site :rolleyes: My website isn't quite ready, but there's plenty of content there. I'll try to open it as soon as I can. That's only the first step though, as you'll see. I'll be collecting signatures soon to register a WA Marijuana Party, other people have gotten me thinking about a retail outlet or online store, I'm writing a book comparing the laws in WA and one possible model for how this industry could be regulated, Pot-TV video submissions and maybe a show when I get a camera... Lots of things, the majority of it still in the planning stages, but I'm not saying this to come across as some kind of uber-activist - I'm just saying that I actually do things, I don't just talk about them in forums or email.

And BTW, it has nothing to do with being a "true" stoner, that was a stupid term I used.  There is no such thing as a "true" stoner, no one fits in here, we are all different.  The reason you got some harsh responses is because you are trying to pass yourself off as an authority on the issue when unwittingly you constantly give away the fact that you don't know what you're talking about.  Your last comment of "I know a little more about this than the average person" is a perfect example.  You may know a little more than the average person, but its obvious to everyone here but yourself it seems that you don't know more than the average grower.  Please don't pretend to be an expert on the subject, you'll be laughed out of here.

You see, I'm really not trying to pass myself off as knowing more about cultivation than anyone here - I'm not posting to the cultivation forums. The only thing I've really said about cultivation is the low end of potential yield from 10 plants. That, and how much people use, were fairly minor comments in my post - I've been trying to explain how you could remain eligible for a CIN. I'm not suggesting this will result in optimal cannabinoid ratios or realistic yields, all I'm saying is that if you want to work within these guidelines then it is possible. Try a strain that doesn't mature all at once, try revegetating after an initial 30g harvest to slow down flowering and delay ripening, hell try cutting down a bit if you have to.

If you don't want to stay within the CIN thresholds, do what you want, but for those of us who don't smoke every day - these new laws are a big improvement. If they aren't applicable to the average smoker, then that's a problem, but the NDRI research that a lot of this legislation has been based on says that the average WA user smokes at least weekly and purchases about 10g/year. Most deals were up to $50 at a time, only 25% bought amounts of $51-350 per transaction. If you guys are being under represented, you should keep an eye out for NDRI surveys and take part, until then - this is all we have to go on...