WA PASSES NEW CANNABIS BILL

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:14:31 -0700

Subject: 008 Australia: WA Passes New Cannabis Bill

Newshawk: Niall Young

Pubdate: Wed, 24 Sep 2003

Source: Australian Broadcasting Corporation (Australia Web)

Copyright: 2003 Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/34

WA PASSES NEW CANNABIS BILL

Minor possession of cannabis in Western Australia is set to be

decriminalised after legislation finally cleared state Parliament last

night.

Labor's Cannabis Control Bill was passed on the Government's numbers, with

amendments approved by the Legislative Council.

Under the reforms, possession of up to 30 grams of cannabis leaf, or two

plants ,will no longer attract a criminal record, although a "three-strikes"

clause will target people issued with repeat infringements.

The successful passage of the bill, first introduced in March by the former

Health Minister, Bob Kucera, sees the major recommendation of the 2001

Community Drug Summit achieved.

I guess it's a step forward. ;)

What's the definition of leaf. I don't think many would be caught with 30g of "leaf".... or is that just WA legalese for cannabis? ;)

It's nothing like what we were promised with the drug summit a few years back here. Geoff has sold out to the conservatives in his party to allow something through. It's still a "police discretion" thing. Which basically means if you have a cop whos had a bad day, your going to gaol, if you get a nice on, you don't.... Talk about ridiculous amount of powers of discretion. ;)

I'm cautiously happy that this step has been made, don't get me wrong. But until we shake off the bullshit and let the pollies know what's what, the parliament won't pass anything really meaningful to the community. ;)

ALL OR NOTHING GEOFF IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH

are you fucking serious, all or nothing??

man if I was allowed to grow 2 plants that is a bit of wieght off my shoulders, makes the other XX or so in my presence seem more legal.

But it seems stupid to me why laws aren't made as to how much wattage is allowed to be used for indoor cannabis grows. The loopholes that stop this kind of thing from being permanent.

Yes. All or nothing. He better get off his arse and re-write the law to exclude all the bullshit and make cannabis the legal medicinal and recreational drug that it should be.

Licensing of Hydroponic Retailers? Background checks on all proprietors and workers? Criminal charges for "knowingly selling hydroponic equipment for cannabis cultivation"? That's not a change for the better.

We've just turned it into another "containment" policy like prostitution was... The police will be given too much power to harrass and it will without doubt cripple the hydroponics retail industry here, as no-one will want to be exposed to the risk.

I'm aware that the law is supposed to allow you to cultivate two plants, but it's not legal. Its up to the cop on the spot to decide whether your growing for yourself or not. It's up to the cop whether they care if your growing for yourself, they can still charge ya... nothings really changed about that. And the penalties for larger cultivation has actually gone up! This is just pandering to the right-wing prohibitionist loons who believe all the lies and propaganda put out by the U.S. in its "war on drugs"

Geoff Gallup is supposed to be a Rhodes Scholar. I would have expected better from him. ;)