1 X1000w cool tube vs 2 x600w cooltube HPS

Hi Guys,

Wanted everyone’s 2 cents worth ïŠ

My questions are:

-Should I upgrade to a second 600w HPS lamp and cool tube so there are 2x 600w cool tubs? or

-Should I upgrade to 1 x 1000w Cool tube?

-How many plants are recommended for best results? Not interested in SOG as I keeping the number of plants down is important to meïŠ

I have:

- a 1.2 by 1.2 tent

-a 600w HPS Son-T Philips lamp with cool tube

-temps over 24hr range 17C to 25C

-using perlite only (With Crystal Dew A&B Bud, Ryzotonic, super thrive, liquid pot ash, Biojuice bloom,).

-Gravity feed system with a valve (Float valve) so the tray is always submerged-I like this as its cheap simple and works well for me.

-Have AK 48 and Wonder Woman

-I am in week 2 of flower after 7 weeks vegging.

-used lollypoping one time, nothing the second. And this time I will LST (Low Stress Training) where I will bend the top bud below the next canopy layer in week 4 of flowering to stimulate the lower few branches to become dominant and will lolly pop them in week 3.

I have first time just 2 plants lolly popped-results were good for a first time, but still plenty of room.

Second time hade 5 plants and no training at all (1 LST’sed one and results were fantastic!).

This time have 7 plants and plan to LST all of them as well as lolly pop them- it has been recommended to me to have just one plant per lamp, but I feel that this would be a waste of lots of unused space.

post-41996-0-33088400-1303816070_thumb.jpg

post-41996-0-59074300-1303816102_thumb.jpg

post-41996-0-37875400-1303816138_thumb.jpg

More watts = Happier Plants = more BUDS!

and 2 lights will cover more area more efficiently.

More watts != (does not equal) happier plants (by itself). Bigger - likely.

Considering ya tent is 1.2x1.2 you'd be really pushing it to fit 2x600w in there.... I know you got cooltubes but 2x600w lighting the same space != 1200w worth of penetration or lumens. Something to do with 2 light sources covering the same area being just that - 2 light sources of the same strength just from diff angles and not 'doubling' your lumens as one would expect. However i'm sure the extra light would increase yield just not sure it would be worth the extra light's electricity usage.

Well that's what i've read on the topic and believe to be correct anyway.

There's not much info on that around here that i've seen but some the bigger forums have threads on it.

So to answer ya Q, i'd def. go the 1k upgrade. More lumens. Unless you plan to upgrade to a bigger tent with more space to cover.... then the 2x600 be good.

Edited by ConvexConepiece
  • Upvote 1

If ya not upgrading ya room size i reckon ya go the 1000...........what ever ya decide man ya doing a tip top job......very very nice :yahoo:

Atm i got pretty much 1 plant per 600 with lst n supercropping....month or so of veg under that 1k globe n she fill that 1.2m by 1.2 m grow space no probs :thumbsup: ........this plant is like 45 days from clone n would fill ya tent no worries.... :stunned:

post-16360-0-92207500-1303823266_thumb.jpg

Cant wait for the show :applause:

G'day Jett. I'm not that clued on lighting yet, but, what you have there seems pretty bloody good to me, plants are healthy and producing well. Unless you want to go bigger in your production I'd probably leave it alone. Just for the sake of saving some cash. :guitar:

Difference here is that this member has experience under his belt n knows how much better the extra light will be...u to soon will learn how much the extra 400 watts will achieve and how much more worth while the extra weed will be instead of buying it....

Stick to ya plan buddy ya all sorted :)

If it's of any help I remember reading that a 1000 watt has more light penetration through foliage than a 600 watt. If my memory serves me right :rolleyes: the 1000s is suitable for 4 ft plants and the

600s do about 2 ft. Unsure whether this is true or not though. Anybody know if this is the case?

Thanks every one for all the good tips:)

I am no considering a slightly different option - I am considering upgrading to a 600w HPS with a digital ballast. Or a regular old ballast with a 1000w HPS.

Again this is in a cool tube! I have heard that a 600w hps with a digital ballast can be run at 110% and that there is not only an increase in lumens, but also there is no pulsing of the light so the plant likes that better.

thoughts everyone...........