Pot heads make a mockery of lenient cannabis laws in NSW

"DOPE smokers are making a mockery of lenient cannabis laws in NSW by refusing to undertake drug counselling when caught using marijuana.

Fewer than two in every 100 users cautioned by police for possessing or smoking cannabis call the drug helpline.

Even those caught a second time are flouting the laws. Introduced a decade ago, the laws make it compulsory for multiple offenders to get help for drug use.

The system - where police officers can formally caution people found with 15 grams or less of cannabis - has become so useless, according to the NSW Auditor-General Peter Achterstraat, that police should be harder on users.

Despite issuing 39,000 cautions in 10 years, Mr Achterstraat said "more needs to be done to increase the number of cannabis offenders getting help for their drug use".

Not only should police crack down on dope smokers, but the Auditor-General says the Health department should set up a register of users to help identify addicts and help them get cleaned up

"Knowing who offenders are and why they have offended may help identify the best ways to reduce their drug use," he said.

Mr Achterstraat's report reveals that just 0.2 per cent of first-time offenders take any notice of police directing them to the drug helpline.

The report also revealed police and drug health workers thought the cautioning system was useless in reducing drug use, with one staff member likening it to "getting hit on the head with a wet lettuce".

In his response to the report, NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said he did not support the recommendation "in its current form", but added the force was investigating ways to increase compliance rates with cannabis cautions.

Mr Scipione said he supported a wider review of the caution system, as recommended by Mr Achterstraat, to determine whether it was working.

"To date, this question remains unanswered despite attempts by the NSW Police Force to obtain funding to do so," Mr Scipione said."

The Sunday Telegraph

Laura Speranza

April 24, 2011 12:00AM ... http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/pot-heads-make-a-mockery-of-lenient-cannabis-laws-in-nsw/story-e6freuy9-1226043874313

Given the above statement by NSW Auditor-General Peter Achterstraat "Not only should police crack down on dope smokers, but the Auditor-General says the Health department should set up a register of users to help identify addicts and help them get cleaned up" is very disturbing news and should ring alarm bells amongst our Community

the idea of the Government compiling a 'register' of Cannabis "addicts" ( users) would further demonise Cannabis users and completely alienate them from the mainstream population is utterly outrageous as it is unAustralian ! Where are our Rights to use Mother Nature's gifts?

what place does the NSW Auditor-General have in advocating any Government policy or Laws ... none!

the ideas in this news report, being released the day before Anzac Day the day we all remember those brave Australians who laid their life down so that we may have basic freedom from oppression and freedom of choice, are nothing short of shameful.

:peace:

• Upvote 2

Thanks Frazz =) . I gotta agree with ya Mongy, looks like Pharma holding the reins on a spineless health department, that in turn are putting pressure on the cops to do what they can't do legally.

The thing that rings alarm bells for me is the 'Addict' register.

I am sorry, I thought we lived in a democracy, but more and more it looks like we live in a financially driven political system where the Pollie puppets will do whatever they are told by big buisness to keep the dollars flowing or at least secure their part in the greatest scam ever to grace the planet, Big Pharma's never ending quest to secure control over ALL substances, man made or natural. It's a Friggin disgrace. :thumbdown:

• Upvote 2

lenient cannabis laws in NSW
my ass they`re lenient :baaasmiley:

The current fucked up law in NSW holds up to 24yrs for Cannabis growers.....what the fuck they wanna do next....behead us? ^_-

cunce can jam thier prevention programs, caution systems, Sativex and any other shit they throw at us :ack: :finger:

Me :bongon:

Edited by Baker
  • Upvote 1

Peter Achterstraat was appointed the Auditor-General of New South Wales on the 25 September 2006. Prior to this, he was the Chief Commissioner of State Revenue for New South Wales from July 1999.

Before joining the New South Wales Office of State Revenue, Peter spent 20 years in the Australian Tax Office where he had a variety of roles. He was appointed Deputy Commissioner of Taxation with the Australian Taxation Office in 1987.

Peter holds an honours degree in economics as well as degrees in law and commerce from the Australian National University. He was awarded the Australian Finance Conference prize for Company Finance, and the PricewaterhouseCooper prize for Accounting. In 2006, Peter was inducted into the Australian National University College of Business and Economics' Hall of Fame.

Peter is also a Barrister of the Supreme Court of New South Wales, and is a Fellow of both the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia and CPA Australia.

Peter is also a Fellow of Chartered Secretaries Australia.

Peter is currently the President of the Institute of Public Administration Australia (NSW Division).

Apparently he's also considering himself an expert in social reform. Really your a number crunching pencil pushing desk jockey. Stay out of matters you have no experience in.

Wake up and get a clue dickhead :finger:

Edited by ConvexConepiece
  • Upvote 4

G'day Troops It's been my hard earned experience over nearly 60 years, NEVER trust the Government. You just can't trust the lieing bastards. Once they have their snouts in the political trough they will do or say anything to keep it there. They are only in it for their own self gratification, greed rules. Look at Gillard, stiffed her own boss, though she's not the first and won't be the last. Every time I get near one of the evil, slimy pricks I have an overwhelming urge to have a wash, they somehow radiate filth. I had a job in the '80's, for a short time, that brought me into contact with a lot of these grubs, both state and federal, and have seen them in action. You don't have to have any formal qualifications to be a politician, any jerk can do it, no expetience needed, on the job training supplied to successful scum bag. Remember, most of them are LAWYERS, the only thing lower than a child molester, vileness comes natural. You can bet there is some big kick back happening here with the reaction from this nazi. They have a nasty suprise up their sleeve for these people, trust me on that. Who the fuck gave him the qualifications to make these judgements on people? He's a glorified fucking cop. No guitars for these mongrels. Edited by auntynorm
  • Upvote 6