• Register Now!
Grass Outdoors Shade Purple Orange Blueberry Watermelon Apple Banana Strawberry Chocolate
WARNING/DISCLAIMER The OZ Stoners cannabis community contains information regarding cannabis & other drugs; it is designed for mature (18+) audiences only. This site in no way condones the use of cannabis by minors. The content here within this cannabis community is for educational & entertainment purposes only. Any buying/selling or trading of illegal cannabis seeds, clones, flowers, resin or oil is strictly prohibited within this cannabis community. - Login to remove this message
Sol-Sense 315W Sol-Unit LEC Digital Ballst Kit
Massive Bloom

Photo

Questions for Jan Copeland and the NCPIC

NCPIC Jan Copeland Medical Cannabis Sativex NCPIC Questions cannabis

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

daemon

daemon

Flowering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 Posts:
  • Cannabis Use:None
  • Fav. Heads:None
Two things I have noticed from your responses, Jan, that are contradictory to your supposed stance.

1) You have clearly stated in a few replies that your organisation is not involved with Medical Cannabis or Pharmaceutical companies, yet you also clearly admit you are receiving funding, in the form of medicine, from GW Pharmaceuticals. This clearly indicates NCPIC is involved in the medicinal use of Cannabis.

2) Your response to iamnotacop's question ("q.9 Do you agree that a patient constantly worrying/anxiety about the repercussions of Cannabis (as in being busted and jailed) is actually more dangerous to the mind than the actual cannabis use itself?") was a flat "No", yet above you are concerned with your own "PSYCHOLOGICAL SAFETY" with regards to hurtful insults. This is one and the same.

On the one hand we have a Cannabis patient who is shunned by society because the government and organisations, such as the NCPIC, release disinformation about Cannabis and on the other we have people such as you being shunned by the Cannabis community for spreading the propaganda (which is hurting them). Do you see the parallels?

As I suspected, you have zero interest or intent on spreading balanced information.

Say thanks with some bits:  1Ed71abMUAJ3q3XBQzYzSzJRydR58kKeT1

Chronmasta

Chronmasta

plantless

• RIP
  • 1896 Posts:
  • Cannabis Photography Competition

• Interests:sex, drugs & rock`n roll
    truth, honor & loyalty
  • Cannabis Use:Rec. & Medicinal
  • Fav. Heads:100% Organic
  • Fav. Lighting: taken away by the filth
Jan, can you please answer ALL of our questions?
Perhaps you could do us the courtesy of extending your time to respond from an hour a week to an hour a day, 5 days a week. :scratchin:
It could still be considered as doing your job, if you choose to publicize the questions, answers and responses. :scratchin:

:peace:
sick of getting back pain from growing medicin for mi back pain
;those who speak do not know ... those who know do not speak;
If you sit by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float past
here to get a smoke`o?.....then smoke`o my blue vein
ALL MY THREADS

11:56 pm [MongyMan] : drinking elephant poo juice

Anakha

Anakha

Maturing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 Posts:
  • Cannabis Use:Medicinal
  • Fav. Heads:"Hydroponic"
"The National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre (NCPIC) was established in response to community concerns about cannabis use."

The above quote is the first sentence on the About us page of the NCPIC webpage......the first sentence and it is a complete blatant lie......1. community or government concerns Jan? Please provide me the reports, studies from Australia (and current) that have clearly shown any community concern about cannabis use other than the overwhelming outcry for the legalisation of medical marijuana to lessen the pain suffered by many Australians.
Yes i know your standard response will be that the NCPIC does not cover or deal with medical marijuana but Jan i believe you to be an intelligent human being and I know I certainly am so how about we start a proper dialogue here and be honest with each other....medical marijuana is the issue that needs to be dealt with first and foremost before your organisation continues to have an influence over normal Australians thinking concerning marijuana of any type.....to not include medical marijuana in your focus is a grose oversight that no academic should allow to continue. 2. Do you agree that you need to consider what negative affects you are having on the medical marijuana cause for 100s of thousands of Australians by continuing to neglect it as an issue for your organisation????? No your happy just saving the souls of those hopeless cannabis junkies arent you!!! Jan newsflash there arent any!! just because a heroin junkie also smokes some marijuana doesnt mean much as the VAST majority of cannibis users actually have a job, shower, have responsibilities etc etc .

Jan what is your response to the premise that the whole marijuana debate has been tainted by the negative stigma and false studies that have been bandied around for the last 100 or so years that have been proven completely incorrect over time but not widely reported....The example that most defies belief is the study concerning cannabis killing brain cells....Presidential candidate Reagan in reference to it claimed that cannabis may be the most dangerous drug known to man...... 6 years later it turns out that the study had no controls and was in fact responsible for the death of the brain cells!!! If you starve brain cells of oxygen you kill brain cells and monkeys as these tests showed. Jan I have provided you with a few cryptical references for you to follow here so as to allow YOURSELF to actually do some study into the beliefs you hold dear before answering my question....and my next question is this...3. How do you defend being the head of an organisation where you clearly have no expertise on the subject and blindly follow false research?........You come on here to answer our questions... maybe if you want to be perceived as being open minded then you should consider ASKING us some questions because on this subject we are the community that has the first hand knowledge over, for some on this site 30 years...Does your research reach back that far??

4. Jan did I read in an earlier post you TRY and refer to marijuana as a gateway drug to nicotine??? If this is correct could I please ask you not to smoke crack cocaine directly before coming on here to answer our questions....That would be the most ridiculous claim I have ever heard, say its not so Jan..........2/3's of Australians mix tobacco with their cannabis usually for one of two reasons.....Because they cant afford to smoke the cannabis alone and mix the tobacco to make it go further or because they dont know better.....again a bit of education on the evils of tobacco could come in handy.....might i suggest a future career path for you even?? thats if you really want to make a difference in the health of the Australian public......

5. Jan have you thought what the benefits of separating marijuana from illicit and clearly dangerous drugs would be? No one that i know has argued that speed is good for anyone, heroin, cocaine all the bad ones, lets clear the space of all the wasted resources fighting a battle that you never will or should win Jan. Patients having chemo will never spot having Marijuana, Glaucoma sufferers, bloody hell insomniac sufferers will never stop using cannabis because it adds to their quality of lives..... However if organisations such as yourself concentrate on the real problem drugs and we make change then the law enforcement and we as a wider community can rid ourselves of them. 6. Jan do you real ly feel like cannabis is the problem or the 50 tonne of heroin imported into Australia through WA this year by a Mexican cartel?

7. You said in another earlier post that you had recently spent time in the Netherlands, If so what are your thoughts on their drug policy in regards to cannabis?

8. Do you feel that there experience where heroin use has not increased in 20 years is a fluke or good management?

9. You spoke earlier of studies that showed an increased likelihood of schizophrenia in cannabis users.....is this the same study that was in regard to adolescents (who of course should not under any regulation or law come into contact with cannabis) or is this new, current research showing an increased likelihood in adult developed brains. Also this is not the study that later went onto to say that cannabis did not cause the disorder only increased the likelihood of the earlier onset of schizophrenia by 2-5 years for those already PREDISPOSED to the disorder?
Jan if you are basing your opinions on studies other than the one referred to above then could you please provide this to us.

Thankyou for your time Jan, I only have one more issue and question a study you provided to us i believe on increased sexual violence and cannabis.......it was in regards to adolescents. Jan go right ahead and keep marijuana away from kids thats absolutely right....Marijuana alcohol, tobacco, coffee (yes coffee) are all detrimental to the developing mind which is why we require regulation to keep it out of the hands of minors and in the hands of consenting adults......However i will also contend that the increased sexual violence coincides with the increased sexual activity and increase (explosion) of hormones that occur during the teenage years....it does sound a case of implementing laws and strategies to better regulate and control marijuana much like alcohol or tobacco so as our kids cannot easily obtain it (as we know it can be harmful to developing minds) like they can now (80% of adolescents in US and Australia say it is easier to obtain marijuana than it is to get alcohol or tobacco....alarming wouldnt you agree whilst also an indictment on the current system) 10. Wouldnt you agree Jan that the time for a rethink and a change of laws and strategies are long overdue?

Edited by Anakha, 03 May 2011 - 03:40 AM.

``Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too.''
Voltaire

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Beatrice Hall

Auntynorm

Auntynorm

Couch Locked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 Posts:
  • Interests:My Dog (my best mate), my chooks, gardening, fishing, cooking, playing guitar, blues music, my friends, guns, Porsche's.
  • Fav. Lighting: The big one in the sky! But I like HPS too!!
G'day Jan

As a regular user of cannabis of over 40 years I have to say I have never had any tendencies toward violence of any kind when stoned. When I was a drinker it was a very different proposition. I would fight at the drop of a hat. But I gave up drinking about 7 years ago. I rarely mixed alcohol and cannabis as it would just make me crash out, or be sick. I also don't smoke tobacco. But I do drink a powerful lot of tea, I have to admit to a problem of abuse there, do you know anyone who can help me?

But to the point. The people that Swartout and White have studied sound like the extreme end of the spectrum, those that will bring in the sensationalist vote, "look at what this will make you do, yes, you ", the ones that probably would do rancid things, no matter what they were taking, the ones that should have been put to sleep, a long while back. They would also be, prone to substance abuse, and I mean abuse as in gluttony. All things in moderation.

As to regards the problems in Aboriginal communities, and I know what I'm talking about, having worked and lived in many communities over many years, both wet and dry. Take away the alcohol, first and foremost. I know this will cause a furore, but Aboriginals should not be able to get access to alcohol, they can't deal with it, fact, also what they drink, the cheapest, most potent muck they can find. Cannabis is not the problem but it makes middle Australia sit up and take notice and creates funding for "prevention/intervention measures" that just puts bureaucratic fat arses on chairs. It's a growth industry, bureaucracy. White men making bucks off black problems. I've seen a young man kill himself sniffing petrol and trying to light a cigarette at the same time in Central Australia, use your imagination as to the result of this. I have a mate who was involved with the Federal Government's intervention in the N.T. He is a decorated soldier and he told me this was the most abhorent duty he had ever been ordered to perform. This was stuff the Gestapo did.

As to taking funding from the chemical companies that are supplying the Sativex, not a real good look. Conflict of interest?

Cheers.

Norm

Edited by Da Boogie Man, 03 May 2011 - 12:36 PM.

buzz lighthead

buzz lighthead

Vigorous

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 Posts:
  • Interests:Cookery, nature, animals, social justice. An end to people suffering unnecessarily and creating a better world for my kids.
  • Cannabis Use:Recreational
  • Fav. Type:Raw (i.e. Heads)
Hi Jan,
I am of the understanding that the info you obtain is in the public domian. I also understand that the NCPIC has no concern with medical cannabis. That's fair enough for the purpose of your organisation, but my question is this.
In a study done in 1974 it was revealed that cannabis had effectively assisted with the healing of breast cancer and more recently brain and skin cancer. (This info was also sourced in the public domain.) How can the NPCIC justify ignoring this and continue to stigmatise cannabis, keeping it out of the hands of responsible, consenting adults who are suffering with little choice but surgery, radiotherapy or chemotherapy? (often to no avail) Of course more research needs to be done, but maybe you should give cannabis the benefit of the doubt? After all you don't see anti chemotherapy organisations!
As an added comment, I'd like to congratulate you for engaging with this community, I could understand it would take guts to join a duscussion where your view is the minority. Good on you.

Philfy8

Philfy8

Vegetating

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 Posts:
  • Fav. Heads:"Hydroponic"
Hi Jan can you take alook at this and tell me your thoughts. http://www.youtube.c...bed/LvUziSfMwAw

Cheers P8

THE PROBLEM WITH COMMON SENSE, IT'S NOT VERY COMMON.

bitterman

bitterman

Vegetating

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 Posts:
  • Interests:Documentary filmmaking
  • Cannabis Use:Recreational
This is a very interesting thread, I hope it continues.

Not sure how NCPIC can operate as a soley preventative organisation with a mandate to ignore research or commentary on the clear therapeutic benefits of cannabis. It seems a politically motivated demarcation. I didn't think prevention was part of harm minimisation, which is the national drug policy as Jan Copeland points out. My understanding is that harm minimisation is designed to negate the need for users to engage in criminal or unsafe behaviour, while also regulating their usage - like replacing heroin with methadone. I didn't think harm minimisation was about demand reduction?

ma-title-logo-tagline6-osa.png

"Homegrown cannabis culture down under"
A feature documentary by Better Man Films
marijuanaaustraliana.com
@mj_australiana

Ford Fairlane

Ford Fairlane

Stanley.

• Moderator Crew
  • 3349 Posts:
  • Fav. Type:Raw (i.e. Heads), Hashish, Oil Concentrates
  • Fav. Lighting: Bic
Hi Jan,
I was wondering what your idea of the real story behind canabis prohibition is?

All the scientific and historical evidence points to the fact that cannabis prohibition has only exsaperated the use of it. If illegality of this product makes the problem worse, why do we keep hitting our head on the same brick wall??? It just doesn't make sense.

Generally in buisness and government if one approach doesn't work another is tried, but for some reason with cannabis law the "powers that be"appear to keep trying the same ineffective policy stance over and over again (since, around 1937).

Now I am not much of conspiracy theorist, but is there someone else in the background fighting to keep cannabis and hemp products out of the mainstream.??

MongyMan

MongyMan

Cannabis Research Breeder

• Moderator Crew
  • 3293 Posts:
  • Interests:Cannabis Genetics and Breeding
  • Fav. Type:Raw (i.e. Heads), Hashish, Oil Concentrates
  • Fav. Lighting: HID and the Sun

You said cannabis is more potent, which makes it more dangerous. But do you have any solid evidence cannabis is more potent? Do you have any kind of evidence which indicates more portent cannabis results in a more dangerous drug?

We are just doing the study now in NSW (northern rivers and Sydney) so we will have some Oz data but given the seeds are frequently traded internationally it is unlikely that Oz cannabis will be different to US, UK or NZ

Why does the NCPIC have published on their website and pamphlets that cannabis in Australia is more potent, which makes it more dangerous if you have no evidence of this at this time?

Is it common practice for the NCPIC to publish information on their website and pamphlets without proven facts and evidence to back it?

Why is the NCPIC misrepresenting their presumtion that it is unlikely that Oz cannabis will be different to US, UK or NZ as a proven and known evidence based fact?

What other information published on the NCPIC website and pamphlets is also presumption being misrepresented as proven and known evidence based fact?

Do you agree that as the NCPIC has preempted the results of the THC level study and has already published results by claiming THC levels have increased in Australian cannabis as a proven and known evidence based fact, the accuracy and credibility of the study can at best now be regarded as highly questionable by the Australian community?

Does the NCPIC have any past reliable and accurate data on THC and other chemicals levels in Australian cannabis that they can compare the findings of their current study on this to?

Is the study only measuring THC levels?

Does the NCPIC accept that the NSW northern rivers and Sydney cannabis gene pool is only a very small part of the entire Australian cannabis gene pool?

What research has the NCPIC done regarding native Australian cannabis and species of cannabis unique to Australia?

Peace MongyMan

gallery_7617_565_5131.jpg

"Cannabis Prohibition Laws Only Cultivate Organised Crime"

"Don't let fear hold you back, Stand up for your beliefs if you believe Cannabis improves your health." Daryl D

I Support

Cannabis Compassion Australia

Putting Patients Before Profit

Cannabis was called Cannabis when Australia was founded. Marijuana was a mexican word unknown in Australia until American Reefer Madness arrived.

gallery_7617_360_6824.jpg

Syb3 rm3nt41_%20

Syb3 rm3nt41_%20

Troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 Posts:
  • Cannabis Use:None
I have several concerns...... My first concern is the validity of claims made by NCPIC regarding the dangers of cannabis. Is this based on current data that has been under heavy scientific scrutiny, peer-review and so forth? If the dangers of prozac range from .....

Anxiety or nervousness; decreased appetite; diarrhea; drowsiness; headache; increased sweating; nausea; tiredness or weakness; trembling or shaking; trouble in sleeping Abnormal dreams; change in sense of taste; changes in vision; chest pain; constipation; dizziness or lightheadedness; dryness of mouth; feeling of warmth or heat; flushing or redness of skin, especially on face and neck; frequent urination; hair loss; increased appetite; increased sensitivity of skin to sunlight; menstrual pain; stomach cramps, gas, or pain; vomiting; weight loss; yawning Decreased sexual drive or ability; inability to sit still; restlessness; skin rash, hives, or itching Breast enlargement or pain; convulsions (seizures); fast or irregular heartbeat; purple or red spots on skin; symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), including anxiety or nervousness, chills, cold sweats, confusion, cool pale skin, difficulty in concentration, drowsiness, excessive hunger, fast heartbeat, headache, shakiness or unsteady walk, or unusual tiredness or weakness; symptoms of hyponatremia (low blood sodium), including confusion, convulsions (seizures), drowsiness, dryness of mouth, increased thirst, lack of energy; symptoms of serotonin syndrome, including diarrhea, fever, increased sweating, mood or behavior changes, overactive reflexes, racing heartbeat, restlessness, shivering or shaking; talking, feeling, and acting with excitement and activity you cannot control; trouble in breathing; unusual or incomplete body or facial movements; unusual secretion of milk, in females Anxiety; dizziness; feeling that body or surroundings are turning; general feeling of discomfort or illness; headache; nausea; sweating; unusual tiredness or weakness Agitation and restlessness; convulsions (seizures); drowsiness; fast heartbeat; nausea and vomiting; talking, feeling, and acting with excitement and activity you cannot control; trembling or shaking...... Deaths attributed to prozac alone ...... recently the dutch have noticed that mothers who had taken prozac during pregnancy had a higher risk of child-birth deformities...... recent figures suggest that up to 50000 people have died from using prozac, I understand that some of these are from suicides but many are also not related to suicide at all. Prozac is one of the widest used anti-depressant ssri medications with only a short history. Drugs accepted within society 100 years ago are now deemed unsafe, we will see this as the case with many pharmaceutical substances. When will we have rest more faith on a herb that has had thousands of years of documented wide-spread use, to which, the brain has evolved alongside for thousands of years, to create the endo-cannabinoid system within the brain. Why are the dangerous drugs marketed and distributed freely if they can be controlled because of the elaborate chemistry labs necessary for their creation? ..... When will NCPIC act for the people and not against us? When will the NCPIC note that many drugs available have much more serious side-effects and contribute to the loss of life every single year? When will the NCPIC acknowledge that cannabis can help others ... to function normally regardless of neurosis? When will the NCPIC acknowledge the current scientific data that confirms the many therapeutic applications of cannabis? ........ When will the NCPIC acknowledge laws and regulations recent laws/regulations that accept cannabis as a form of treatment for a range of ailments.... The problem ......

There are too many unanswered questions.

Fill the void, its time.....

Syb.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NCPIC, Jan Copeland, Medical Cannabis, Sativex, NCPIC Questions, cannabis

CYCO Platinum Series Hydroponics Nutrients & Additives
Sol-Sense 315W Sol-Unit LEC Digital Ballst Kit
WARNING/DISCLAIMER The OZ Stoners cannabis community contains information regarding cannabis & other drugs; it is designed for mature (18+) audiences only. This site in no way condones the use of cannabis by minors. The content here within this cannabis community is for educational & entertainment purposes only. Any buying/selling or trading of illegal cannabis seeds, clones, flowers, resin or oil is strictly prohibited within this cannabis community.