Here's comes the Budrot.... ARGH!

Well, leave your plants alone for a few days at the end and budrot can be your reward. I've had to chop down two main colas to make sure the rest don't get anything. It's these damn cold nights, even 24/7 venting can't help in some cases. I think because one of the colas had been shaded after developing nicely, (it ended up pushed under another one when moving the bubbler plant) it gave the mould a chance. The other bud which was infected had the rot in the mid section of the cola, where bud density was high and yet due to further development above it became shaded too heavily too. A little bit of moisture trapped between the buds is all it takes... B)

This particular budrot is brown and fluffy, with grey undertones. I've only noticed those three spots, but as the plants are this close to harvest I'm going to finish up tomorrow, a little early, but the buds are about done anyway. This has served as a good lesson to me about cola size indoors in small grows, smaller is better... easier to monitor too. I'll give a harvest report probably tomorrow or the next day, in the meantime, here's the budrot shots for ya to wince over. And some shots of the yeild off the two colas I took... The stink is soooo strong, and the leaf trim is covered in trichs too, I'm gonna be making some nice honeyoil and cannabutter with that....

Anyway, here's the pics.

And you stand warned. Budrot is out there, be aware that it can strike when you least expect it.... B)

post-24-1059896663_thumb.jpg

And here's what I got from the colas when I pulled them to component buds and o.k. cola tops... Thanks for the commiseration there nimer, yeah, I've been running for an hour after lights out, with a couple of hour ventings during the night... I think it's got more to do with my placement of the buds as they grew, with too much dense foliage left on the plant. But next time, this won't be a problem, as the plants will be grown from clone.

I would recommend 24 hour venting for everyone if you can, and if it pisses of the love of your life too much then vent occasionally during the night, but be aware that this can be the result. I lost very little, only a couple of places had it, maybe 1/2 g dried and the rest of the plant seems fine. Just to be sure I've taken all suspect bud to dry separately quickly, and the plants are all going to the chop chop tomorrow. A week of flushing should be enough, particularly considering the yellowing of the leaf so far...

*sigh...* oh well, shit happens. B)

post-24-1059897627_thumb.jpg

Thanks bubba, yeah, I'm sure it does happen to even the best grower, but it does make you a little sad.. Oh well, not much damage, and they should be harvested in stages over tomorrow and the next week or so, so no more can get in there...

Could have been much, much worse.... Good thing I got off my arse and had a look under the canopy... could have taken the lot otherwise... B)

Ce la vie, and I'm sure its going to make me a better grower for it. B)

Ive had the same phenomenon - mainly in the colder months & lost shit loads one grow a few years ago when all the insides of the bud went mouldy, (especially on big fat buds I have noticed).

Put a heater in ya groroom as warm air holds moisture better than cold air - did the trick for me anyway.

Thanks for the timely reminder - time to put a heater in the groroom.

Sorry about ya loss!

: )-~

Guest Urbanhog

Just wondering, would it be worth while to prune/tip mj plants in the colder times of the year to product a lot of small budding sites to prevent mould inside the buds, and grow big cola plants in the summer/or use heater in colder times of the year?

I mean even there's a lot of budding sites, and even a lot of growers want to grow big fat buds to show off to mates, but at the end they all look the same mulled up in the mull bowl?

Because I have been reading a lot of reports on upset growers getting moulds on big buds, but wonder if instead have a lot of small budding sites might lower the risk of mould inside?

Only brainstorming here.

I have to agree with you there Urbie, unless you can guarantee that the plants will have adequate day and night temps and ventilation in check to grow large cola plants, you should really stick to more even canopy nugs if possible... This is an easier proposition if growing a strain that has that trait already, and also if you're growing from clone the differences in growth between branches can be kept down to a minimum... but overall yeah, I think smaller buds is better... in winter at least... ;)

It's been a cold and wet one this year, so I just thought I'd put the word out for all those indoor growers coming close to harvest.... Check your plants closely, and keep the ventilation to maximum. The plants will survive cold temps okay, but you have to get the moisture from the day cycle out of the room... More venting the better, year round...

I used Thumper on this grow... I have a feeling this contributed as well... :rolleyes: *slaps forehead*

Some info i have read recently about budrot: When removing older yellowing fan leaves(or sickly leaves with a spot or two of mould) during the last few weeks of the flowering cycle, make sure you remove the ENTIRE leaf stem. Just leaving the smallest piece of the leaf stem at the node can become the start of budrot, which as some may know can literally devestate a plants crop. If i see a sickly/old leaf that needs pulling, i push the stem of the leaf from the top downwards right on the node so it breaks of very cleanly leaving nothing behind.

Doesn't sound like that was the case here Luke Skywalker but it is someting to bw aware of.