Fungas Gnat Control

Hey guys,

Hop Hop (Grasshopper72) is right on the money when he mentioned Bacillus Thuringiensis as a biological control, thuringiensis is a bacteria that fungas gnat larvae consume that later grows and develops in the stomach of the gnat larvae as it develops it ruptures its shell/membrane and then it dies, adult gnats then eat the remains of the deceased gnat larvae, only downside is that it can be quite expensive. The bonus is that it can be bought from most hydroponics stores in aus as a product called 'gnat off', works a treat, i dont have many issues with gnats now because at an early stage of the plants growth (even seedling stage) i dose the soil continually every 3 days or so with a strong neem oil concentrate, and after a few weeks they dont find it fun trying to live in an environment rich in neem, after the first few weeks of applying neem (early on) i feed give them 3 big feedings of the gnat off every week.... at the same time spraying the top of the soil with an organic pesticide that can be purchased from bunnings, which contains pyrethrum, chilli and garlic, tobacco juice works well also.

Anyways, theyre not hard to stay on top of those greedy lil gnats aslong as immediately fed wtih strong neem oil early on, over a period of a few weeks.. (every 3 days)

And on a side note, there are now beneficial bugs than can be purchased on our shores in oz .... they work extremely well and are a no-fuck-around approach ... - http://www.urbangardenershop.com.au/product/2021/default.asp ... until recently these products werent readily available in oz ..... They also sell diatomaceous earth, which is a fine mineral that ruptures the body of the gnat and is extremely useful ... As of today (Thursday November 11th the urbangardenershop was hacked !! lol)

Peace n pot.

PS:- I have tried many approaches at eliminating gnats and spent a small fortune on purchasing products that really had no effect on the gnats ... Imidaprocal (spelling?) seems to work ok **...

Grasshopper - I'm pretty certain Neem oil is cleared safe for food crops in most other country's but for some strange reason the AU gov won't allow it, So I wouldn't be too paranoid.

I recently had winged root aphids in my coco coir, I did a root drench with Searles Conguard which contains 15g/L of Imidclorpid(sp?) which is a synthetic analogue of nicotine but less toxic then nicotine. I wouldn't use this stuff if you have less then 8 weeks til the big chop just to be sure, even tho the box says most vegetables safe to eat after 21 days. I will wipe out most gnats/aphids/mites/etc.

Sorry to bump an old thread but i was wondering at what rate did you mix did you mix your "searles conguard" at.

Mil per litre and did it work? Thanks