Fungas Gnat Control

QUOTE FROM GOPGOP@ Return of the Grashopper. " I also asked what the Gnat/ scarid fly/catapillar bacteria I got was, that you can control pests in ya Coco with or prep Coco with, it is called "Dipel" , it is the bacteria 'Bacillus Thuringiensis' . Nice way to control bugs in ya medium without going Neem or some of the harsher Chemical controls." :wallbash:

Well......after wondering why the Gnats seem to be still around I did some research, while my hydro shop guy was on the right track, he made 1 error, the 'Dipel' product is Bacillus Thuringiensis kurstaki, this controls catapillars and the like, (and he thought also Fungas Gnats and Scarid fly) but in fact there are Hundreds of dirrent variants of Bacillus Thuringiensis. :scratchin:

Mosquitos and Fungas Gnats come from the same family and so control of them is very similiar, what you use for the control of Mosquito Larvae will also control Fungas Gnat Larvae. :thumbsup:

Now all this began when I refused to use Neem Oil on a consumable such as the buds I smoke off my plants as Neem oil is supposed to be only used on Ornamental plants not consumables.

I am so sorry to the people who have used the Dipel on my recommendation, but rest assured, it is not in any way harmful to you or your plants, you just won't kill the Fungas Gnat larvae, but there is no way in hell you will ever have a catapillar live in your grow room. lol . My bad and taking it up with the guy today. Grrrrrrrrrrr........... :ack: :nono:

The Bacillus Thuringiensis strain we are looking for is "Bacillus Thuringiensis Israelensis" this variant IS used in the control of Fungas Gnats and Mosquitos in their larval stages, which is when you want to hit them, no good killing the adults on the outside of the plants and leaving the larvae in the Medium to hatch later and repeat the egg laying.

Fungas Gnats lay 200-300 eggs in their short few months of life, so a few females can really get the medium crawling in a very short amount of time. I also advise having a cup of Cider vinegar mixed with 1 tablespoon of dishwashing liquid in an open container in the grow room. They are attracted to the Vinegar and the detergent breaks the surface tension of the water, so when they land, they drown.

I have found a product that contains the Bacillus Thuringiensis Israelensis bacteria, it is called 'Teknar' ( a Biological Insecticide) and I will endevour to find this product, but have a sneeking suspicion it's what the council use to control Mosquito Larvae when they spray the waterways here as it is not dangerous to mammals.

I will post more details as I get them. Have checked the hazard sheets and product information sheets and now just need to find a stockist so I can get some, maybe an ag chem place.

hope this makes up for my bad information, it will do no harm but I feel pretty stupid, so if this post helps people maybe I can Right my Wrong. :doh: Sorry guys, will do better fact check next time. :peace: Gh72

• Upvote 1

No harm done GH :thumbsup: ! When i got it myself it said it was for catapillars :whistle: !!

Used it on the missus's organic veg patch, which had and still has gnats! wondered why it didn't work :wallbash: !!

I had no signs of gnats in my H&G coco(and still don't!!got a good bag!!)-gave it a wash in it anyways just to be sure!!

I'll save it for the catapillars!! :applause:

A cheers bruva :peace: wiet

Edited by wietlover

Grasshopper - I'm pretty certain Neem oil is cleared safe for food crops in most other country's but for some strange reason the AU gov won't allow it, So I wouldn't be too paranoid.

I recently had winged root aphids in my coco coir, I did a root drench with Searles Conguard which contains 15g/L of Imidclorpid(sp?) which is a synthetic analogue of nicotine but less toxic then nicotine. I wouldn't use this stuff if you have less then 8 weeks til the big chop just to be sure, even tho the box says most vegetables safe to eat after 21 days. I will wipe out most gnats/aphids/mites/etc.

Hey guys =)

Hey Wiet =) yeah, soz man. :wallbash: But all is not lost, the guy i got the Dipel off swears he has a commercial vegie grower that swears by it for Fungas Gnats, while his neighbour is over-run by them. Though I did give him the info on the other strain of bacteria so he can check it out himself. Wiet if it does work, we may also have to break the life cycle, attacking the adults in combination with the Dipel working on the Larvae in the coco.

Try laying out a few trays of apple cider vinegar with dishwashing liquid (1 cup to 1 Tablespoon). Just chucked one of these in my tent :thumbsup: Thanks Brick 50 =)

Hey Sarg =), they are tiny little midgey like things, they fly around feed on dead plant matter and lay larvae that attack the roots for food (about 300 per Gnat) . The good news as I just discovered is that Fungas Gnat Larvae like rotting and dead matter, like dead roots. So by using a Seaweed solution (Seasol etc)or Root Excelorator or any root building enzymes/bacteria you can actually hold them off, maybe why my last harvest was not affected much. The Gnats will attack young live roots but only if there is no dead/rotting matter.:crap:

Hey Rosey =), Yeah, that was the idea to try and use a bacteria or the like to kill the pest at it's weakest stage of life. I will not use chemical pesticides etc in my grow area. :nono: The way I see it I put the finished product in my lungs or ingest it, I want it as clean as possible.

That Dipel will sort those Pillars out for sure Rosey. :haha:

Hey Chunk =), Yeah , I know heaps of people who use Neem but I refuse to, until I find out why they won't approve it for food crops in Australia and label it for ornamental use only. Plus I like the idea of bacteria doing the job , like busy lil worker bees and also being able to add it to plants in late bloom if infested without fear of residuals.

Searles Conguard....I'll have a look at that one, maybe good for just Veg areas.

Ok, hope some of this might help, but I have also come to the conclusion that if you are using root building Bacteria/Enzymes, then Fungas Gnats are more of a visual pain in the arse than actually damaging the plant or inhibiting it's growth too much. The Larvae only really live in the top Inch or so of the coco and damage is minimal, but with a regular grow using no root additive, the results could be devistating or at least affect the yield as the plant puts it's energy into fighting the damage to it's roots.

Thats the beauty of beneficial bacteria, IT repairs the roots and fights the pathogens not making the plant do all the work, so you actually give that energy back to the plant for doing things like....... making big buds! , which is what we all want in the End.

Long day studying this shit.

Time for a Bong Break. :bongon: :peace: Gh72

Edited by Grasshopper72
  • Upvote 1

hi grasshopper72, i got sum yates bug gun ( low toxic natural PYRETHRUM ) u seem to know wat ur on about is this safe to use ( only in veg ) and i half fill a spray bottle wit it an the other half with water , becouse full strenth seamed to burn sum of the edges of the leaves.

ow it also says , derived from pyrethrum daisy , active constituents 0.3g/L pyrethrins 1.2g/L piperonyl butoxide.

do u now anything about that , thanks smashed1

Edited by smashed1

Only thing I know about Pyrethrum is it's not good for the good bacteria in your medium, natural occurring ones and introduced ones from sea weed extracts and Stuff like Cannazyme and Root excelorator. Maybe it won't wipe them out completely but will reduce the numbers of them.They usually say on the bottle what is acceptable use, you want to look if you can use it for vegies, if you can't and only for ornamentals i wouldn't use it, needs to be safe for consumption of plants. If not jump on the net mate and get the product information sheet for the product and read that. will tell you everything. :peace: Gh72

Only thing I know about Pyrethrum is it's not good for the good bacteria in your medium, natural occurring ones and introduced ones from sea weed extracts and Stuff like Cannazyme and Root excelorator. Maybe it won't wipe them out completely but will reduce the numbers of them.They usually say on the bottle what is acceptable use, you want to look if you can use it for vegies, if you can't and only for ornamentals i wouldn't use it, needs to be safe for consumption of plants. If not jump on the net mate and get the product information sheet for the product and read that. will tell you everything. :peace: Gh72

thanks grasshopper72 , ha i was checking out some other pot sites 4 hours last night an 4 them gnats in cocco, alot of people seem 2 swear on AZAMAX ive never herd if it but sum of them even foilor spray the shit it sunds like the superman protection lol'

ow yer an that pyrethrum stuff it dosent say much on the bottle but it does have pics of tomattos on it , but u have 2 dilute it or it burns,

this mornz i made up 100ml of dishwash deturgent , 100ml of vegy oil an about 325ml of rain water so ill let u know what hapens .

might do a bug reapelant dance lol

Onya smashed one :thumbsup: Have checked out AZAMAX , it's a synthesised version of Neem oil, safe for use on vegetables too, wonder if it available in Australia or if it's approved here, damn..... more research. lol .

The little vinegar /detergent traps are the go for adult Gnats, bloody stupid gnats love that cider vinegar, apparently it's worth dying for.................... MWHahahahahaahaha:devilred: . Die Gnats Die!!!:peace: Gh72