can pyrethrum poison plants?

I had spidermites on my mothers so sprayed them with pyrethrum every 2nd day for a week. But they are showing bad case of burn, and yellowing leaves. I don't think its burn from the lights, as I sprayed them with lights out and sprayed with water after. I wondered if the spray went into the soil and the plants got poisoned this way? I will contionue to use plain water and hope they improve. What else can I do?

Sorry no pics, I don't have my digi cam at the moment.

Is it pyretherum, or is it pyrethum? frankly I have probably spelled both wrong, but the point is there's the natural one, and there's a very similar sounding synthetic job. I sprayed my plants with the synthetic one, and had exactly what you described. maybe it can happen with both, I'm not sure. But I really seriously damaged my plants when I did it.

rob

well, even though the plants were damaged I continued to use pyrethrum one last time, I figured I just wanted to get rid of the mites and the plants would recover. Well, the plants did recover, but so did the mites! I had a can of mortein handy, the stuff that kills up to 7 days after. I sprayed that about a week ago. I sprayed all over the plants, the cupboard and around the outside of the cupboard. Anyway the plants didn't like it much and god a lot of leaves that went brown/black but look to be surviving, and I can't see any evidence of the mites returning yet.

water will burn your plants just as bad as anything if you don't let them dry out before switching the light back on. You will notice every bead of water will become a bit of necrosis on the leaves and they'll curl inwards and upwards. Any liquid beads under the hot lights will burn the plant.

i dunno if thats your prob, I was just chucking that in incase you didn't know that.

As for mortien, I just give a very light spray and then pump heaps through my fan inlets. try to fill the room with mortien rather than spray my plants with it. I close up all the doors in my growroom leave the fans running get the room to choking point, and get out of there. It kills almost all pests and doesn't seem to hurt plants if used like that.

Mortein!! Man that is not good.....

Pyrethrum does kill your plant, if yoyu check the forums there is one on Pyrethrum from a few weeks back. Pyrethrum anihalated my first mite ridden plant after three sprays over two and a half weeks, despite repeated flushing and foliar spraying(ph adjusted h20) after lights out.

Yellowing leaves and brown crispy bits starting from the edges working in are the symptoms. I will NEVER use the shit again. Garlic is the key, i have used it since reading about it and have not seen a mite since... good shit- naturally! Hope all turns out good pipenman, are you gonna smoke it now that you have morteined it?....

Did a little reading up last night on mites again:

According to J. Cervantes(Indoor MJ Horticulture) Pyrethrum is one of the most effective sprays on mites....He does state though that if you don't get most of em properly the first time, they bounce back even stronger(this we all know from experience). He also talks about PYRETHRIN, saying that this is the BEST control for spidermite extermination(spray wise). Anybody tried PYRETHRIN? Pyrethrum snuffed the life outta my babies a while back so i aint going near it. I haven't seen Pyrethrin before(or havent noticed it) so i am not too sure about it.

Anybody use bio bugs? and what type of predator did you use, was it effective against the little buggers? thanks ;)

Mortein!! Man that is not good.....

Pyrethrum does kill your plant, if yoyu check the forums there is one on Pyrethrum from a few weeks back. Pyrethrum anihalated my first mite ridden plant after three sprays over two and a half weeks, despite repeated flushing and foliar spraying(ph adjusted h20) after lights out.

Yellowing leaves and brown crispy bits starting from the edges working in are the symptoms. I will NEVER use the shit again. Garlic is the key, i have used it since reading about it and have not seen a mite since... good shit- naturally! Hope all turns out good pipenman, are you gonna smoke it now that you have morteined it?....

well, I would've, cause it would have been at least a couple of months between the mortein and harvest. I don't know this is safe, but what the hell, its still probably safer than most of the shit I buy at the supermarket. but, I ended up having to relocate so that grow was ditched anyway. I still haven't started up again. I hope to pick up my cupboards this weekend ;)

I too am a big fan of the garlic. I crushed garlic and smeared it around the cupboard. Then grew some garlic. I did notice the mites seemed to go into retirement. I'll definitely be growing garlic with my plants from now on. it grows good in bubblers too, and any hydro system I suspect. ;)

I don't know this is safe, but what the hell, its still probably safer than most of the shit I buy at the supermarket.

You can bet on it. I know from being in the market garden industry, that everything you eat in the fresh produce department is literally coated in countless pesticide sprays.

Wash every fruit and vege as best you can before eating it. I certainly do.

edit: colour change to yellow

Edited by Spurious

Yeah, this is the entire reason I grow my own veggies and mj in the first place. I don't trust the legitimate industries which produce consumption foods, why would I trust a completely unknown, probably organised crime related commercial grower/seller to give me something that isn't going to make my nads drop off in 20 years...

White oil/horticultural oil mixes will kill mites because it does it by suffocating them, not by poisoning them, (and possibly you, and everything else in the food chain.) This is about as effective a control as I've found... Wettable Sulphur works well to kill or manage mite populations too, but that stuff lasts for literally months on a plant, so it may not be the best thing to use.

Best answer? Keep em outta there in the first place. :(