Tommy Chong Busted

this is old news, but I just stumbled across it. Also it appears that Chong's website is no more. :angry:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3026645.stm

Cult film star Tommy Chong, one half of the 1970s comedy duo Cheech and Chong, pleaded guilty in a US court on Tuesday of conspiring to sell drug paraphernalia.

Chong was facing charges in a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania court over selling marijuana pipes, known as bongs, through his company Nice Dreams Enterprises, and through website advertisements giving his "celebrity" endorsement.

He admitted his range of glass bongs and pipes, known as Chong glass, were used to smoke marijuana.

Chong's lawyers said the star admitted responsibility for selling the accessories, but was careful not to sell them to minors.

The actor, who appeared in a string of films about marijuana with Cheech Marin, said he did not personally use drugs.

"I don't smoke; I quit," he said.

New film

Chong, 64, could face up to three years in jail and a fine of over $250,000 (£161,000) if found guilty. He comes up for sentencing on 11 September.

He was released on a $20,000 (£12,900) bond. Prosecutors said they would not be pushing for a jail term, even though guidelines recommended a six months-to-one year sentence.

Chong, who has recently featured in the TV series That 70s Show, said he planned to shoot a new film with comedy partner Marin.

He said he also planned to return to his comedy routines.

Chong faced charges after Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) officers bought some oh his pipes and tested them.

Agents also confiscated the paraphernalia after raids on shops selling the pipes, and thousands more from his business's Gardena, California premises. They also took $120,000 of proceeds from the sale of the accessories.

The raids were part of a DEA operation leading to 55 arrests for illegal drug paraphernalia.

For me, and I met him years ago when they where shooting a movie and using the T-boat in Amsterdam, he can drop dead! he is one freakin coward! when he had to go to court for selling only freakin pipes he pleaded guilthy! B) just to get some deal with the justice dept. and doing that he admitted that selling pipes whas a crime!? making it harder for anyone else acused of the same! he's a freaking bad mofo for our cause and for me, I'll never have any respect for this mofo anymore. :angry: he's an egoistic mofo who doesn't care for other tokers while he made ALL his money from them. The dude sucks!

Hey T Boat, so that was your operation in "Still Smokin'"? ( I think that's what it was called). Huh, small world isn't it.

Ya probabaly right to some degree about chong, cause he has likely got the bread to make a good defence, but life isn't Amsterdam out here.

Police arrests, inteviews (interegations), threats and intimidation can crack a pretty strong bloke. Maybe you've had a full and interesting life outside of Amsterdam as well, and if so; then you'd know what I mean. I've heard of cops using some pretty low tactics to get a conviction. A mate admitted to trafficing, to keep the cops from prosecuting his wife, which would have resulted in their kids going to a foster home. She wasn't involved with the grow what so ever.

Frankly, I couldn't care less if it were chong or someone we never heard of, so I'm not saying it just because he's been in movies, and I dunno the story behind chong's instance, but things can get pretty confused out here, and I think the USA is a lot worse.

cheers

rob

For me, and I met him years ago when they where shooting a movie and using the T-boat in Amsterdam, he can drop dead! he is one freakin coward! when he had to go to court for selling only freakin pipes he pleaded guilthy!  B) just to get some deal with the justice dept. and doing that he admitted that selling pipes whas a crime!? making it harder for anyone else acused of the same! he's a freaking bad mofo for our cause and for me, I'll never have any respect for this mofo anymore. :angry:  he's an egoistic mofo who doesn't care for other tokers while he made ALL his money from them. The dude sucks!

yeah I don't know tboat, is every stoner required to sacrifice themselves for the cause? Maybe they had more on him and he was looking at serious jail time, maybe some of his employees were also looking at jail time.

I applaude people like yourself and Ed Rosenthal who pave the way for others and put your own ass on the line, but its not fair to expect everyone to do it.

As for me, I just like getting high, but am nobody's hero. I wouldn't go to jail on principle if I could avoid it.