Cannabis Psychosis

Have YOU Or Anyone YOU'VE PERSONALLY Known Ever Experienced LASTING Psychosis From Cannabis  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hmm tricky topic

what constitutes yes or no vote?

Did my mate have a psychotic episode when i was younger? I cant really judge to tell you the truth.

He used to get a bit " funny " sometimes and go off on his own little adventures, walks and wake up in

strange places and not recall too much. Then again he used to drink a lot too, not usually at the same

time as having cannabis, alcohol would make him angry and violent. Which behaviour is more psychotic?

I myself may have had an episode? lasting a few moments maybe? maybe years? depends who's criteria you are using to

make the judgment, which in the case of Psychiatrists is pretty vague and broad.

I guess that what may have looked like a Psychotic episode to one person may not to another.

Some people willingly choose to smoke or do other psychedelics till they " loose their mind"

SORRY.... ^_- How dare you have a different opinion and not agree with me... lol I hate you and refuse to chat with you.....and be careful before you or others start becoming 2 dimensional pro cannabis zealots :D

I don't follow what you mean there ^_-

Even if Cannabis is completely vindicated many and especially the hardliners will never be convinced they will still argue using any abstract evidence or statistics to convince themselves and to argue otherwise, I conclude by arguing with these people you only make them stronger and result in delays to decriminalization VICTORY...

Of course you can't convince people who ignore facts if they don't fit their agenda. But who is arguing with them? This is a poll to get an idea of how many people who live this lifestyle everyday have experienced people suffer psychotic episodes from cannabis.

Peace MongyMan

Hmm tricky topic

what constitutes yes or no vote?

It's funny how things you think you made simple still always confuse others lol

I would class a psychotic experience as one that affected the persons ability to function in a detrimental way. Not just a passing experience with no lasting affects once the cannabis wore off.

It's funny how things you think you made simple still always confuse others lol

I would class a psychotic experience as one that affected the persons ability to function in a detrimental way. Not just a passing experience with no lasting affects once the cannabis wore off.

Thank you for making my point even more clear.

This is exactly what i am saying, you are making a very complex issue into a SIMPLE yes or no question.

There is no confusion on my part

I am glad that is how YOU class a psychotic experience, unfortunately a lot of the data collected on this subject, by the people

you are trying to prove wrong no doubt, class someone as having a psychotic experience or episode even if it only lasted a few hours, or as you put it as passing experience.

I am not saying this is a stupid question, and its definitely something everyone should think about.

But when it comes to statistics the people with their agenda already set will always find a way to make things

go in their favour no matter what side of the fence you are on.

It sounds like to me your looking for people who where not suffering from psychotic symptoms, smoked cannabis, experienced psychosis and never recovered.

My experience with people experiencing from psychosis is not as simple as this.

As I stated previously, it's a what came first scenario. Did the person have a pre-existing condition that made them either gravitate towards cannabis or did the cannabis exacerbate a previous unknown condition?

Or is Cannabis the penultimate cause?

Thank you for making my point even more clear.

This is exactly what i am saying, you are making a very complex issue into a SIMPLE yes or no question.

There is no confusion on my part

Oh ok ^_- I'd missed that point completely sorry lol

It is a SIMPLE yes or no question though in my mind. I honestly can't see why it isn't?

Maby I should have worded it like this?.......

Question: Have you or anyone you personaly know ever used cannabis and instead of getting 'stoned' experienced LASTING psychosis that had a detrimental effect on the ability to function 'normally' in life?

I am glad that is how YOU class a psychotic experience, unfortunately a lot of the data collected on this subject, by the people you are trying to prove wrong no doubt, class someone as having a psychotic experience or episode even if it only lasted a few hours, or as you put it as passing experience.

When I started this poll it wasn't my intention to be 'proving anyone wrong' just to gather information. To deny there is any link between cannabis an psychosis is madness imo. This poll in itself shows there is a link of some kind. (a link is not a cause, but it can't be ignored either).

What interests me is just how much attention needs to be paid to 'cannabis psychosis' as a reason (the main reason in many people's mind) to either continue with its prohibition or to regulate (how and if needed) if it is legalized.

As you said most are recording anything they can even remotely connect to cannabis to back a pre-determined agenda. This isn't science though and the truth is any of the reports they are releasing are useless for any serious scientific review. If there are people at risk from using cannabis all they are doing is hindering the efforts to find out why. If people know WHY they are at risk they can be educated on it and the risk is either removed or greatly reduced.

A short or passing experience can't be included in the results if they are to show anything at all with any kind of accuracy. A hangover from drinking is a passing exp. tired muscles after a long bike ride is a passing exp. they are a direct result of an action yes but are they of any real concern? No. and nor is a passing experience with cannabis.

To be of any danger, surly it has to be a lasting and debilitating effect? Or where is the problem?

If we have a better idea of exactly how many people (free of figures fudged to suit an agenda) are experiencing these problems and if they are using just cannabis or other drugs as well we have a place to begin from to begin to work out why. Then we can realistically educate with facts not fear to remove or reduce the risks.

............when it comes to statistics the people with their agenda already set will always find a way to make things

go in their favour no matter what side of the fence you are on.

Sadly true and unfortunately there is very little can be done about that other than ignore them and look for the facts yourself.

Peace MongyMan

Ps...I edited the question to include the word 'lasting' in the topic.

It sounds like to me your looking for people who where not suffering from psychotic symptoms, smoked cannabis, experienced psychosis and never recovered.

No, I'm looking for people who have smoked cannabis and had a negative reaction to it for whatever reason, be that because of a pre-determined mental condition or other problem or not, that had a lasting affect on their ability to function 'normaly' in society. Cannabis doesn't need to be the 'cause' to be the 'switch'.

As I stated previously, it's a what came first scenario. Did the person have a pre-existing condition that made them either gravitate towards cannabis or did the cannabis exacerbate a previous unknown condition?

Or is Cannabis the penultimate cause?

I see the first question is .......How many people get a negative reaction that is lasting and debilitating?

The second question is ..........Who are these people

And third question is ..............Why is this happening?

Is my reasoning wrong some where here? (I am asking honestly as I can't see it any other way)

Peace MongyMan

Just a side note. Its proven that people with mental illness use more illicit drugs than the rest of the population. Basically they are self medicating. Then you get anti pot champions manipulating those stats to further their cause. People with mental illness smoke tobacco at a higher rate than the general population but ciggies have never been blamed for putting people in an institution....

YES lol and here comes the BUT but befor the but im still saying YES

i know lots of ppl that smoke mj and the most of them are fine and some of them you cant tell there on it

now why i say them is case i smoked mj at about 10-12 hay what are brothers for but only some times then at the age of 15-16 what else is high school for but to ge high or it would be called school right lol

then again at 20 to 21 and that was the end of that till i broke my back in 3 spots at 26 now i find i need it to put up with the pain and im 30 now but alls good for me

well i think im fine any way :stunned: lmao but as for some other fellas i know there not to good and its from weed i beleve that strongly

so MM i think i would like to say NO to this one as all my other mates are fine and most of them are long time smokers but i do now 2 fellas for sure that are f-cked up from it

but i think thay are the minority of smokers so in saying that i think its no diffrent than other drugs work for some ppl and not others

so in short YES sorry mate

PD

This has been a great read. Thanks for putting this up Mongyman.

I have to agree that this is a very complex issue. But that's not what is being asked here.

I know someone who at a young age smoked cannabis for 6 months (15 years age). He developed anxiety and Depression. Then at the age of 18 after being prescribed anti depressants, used cannabis very heavily for 14 months. He tried to stop using cannabis and succesfully reduced the intake to once every two weeks. Then one day he had a bong and ended up in hospital in a Psychotic state of mind. He was psychotic still for over one week. But after being administrated anti psychotic drugs (which made him very sick) his pyschotic symptoms of delusions disapated.

This individual was a very good mate of mine. He used no other substances then anti depressants and Cannabis. He is still on anti psychotics. The anti psychotics ruined him and made him really sick for around 3 years. He doesn't use cannabis at all, even though he still used it occasionally after the psychosis because he found it hard to stray from its use. I believe he found it particularily difficult to stray from its use because he was quite depressed and unwell from the anti psychotic drugs and it was a way of escape from his fucked up situation. He doesn't use cannabis at all anymore, he doesn't experience any psychotic symptoms and he doesn't have a psychotic illness like schitsophrenia or schitsoaffective disorder. He does however experience some side effects from the anti psychotic drugs.

Lasting Psychosis, Well no this individual didn't really experience lasting psychosis. But what happened to him ruined his life for 3 years, because of the drugs he went on for his psychosis.

I know someone else who has schitsophrenia, he was a heavy dope smoker since the age of 15. I'm not sure if he used other drugs so I can't comment there.

But in the case of my very good friend, was it purely attributed to cannabis. Who knows.. I certainly don't. We all know that cannabis is still safer then alcohol and Cigarettes, which kill people on a daily basis. They can become physically addictive unlike cannabis.

So fucking Decriminalise or legalise all ready fuck.

I vote NO.

Cannabis doesn't cause psychosis, but I do believe that it could precipitate it in some users who wouldn't go on to develop it if they stayed away from other drugs. (fat chance for most people)

Edited by Allotropy