My experience with Marijuana for depression and anxiety

cybergenesis

Question

Hi Everyone.

I am a long term sufferer of problems with anxiety and depression, and I thought I would post my experiences about how marijuana seems to interact with my "conditions".

I was first hospitalized for what my doctors said was " a major depressive episode" when I was 13. after my mum died and various other disasters happened in my life.

Various doctors have diagnosed me as suffering from depression as well as "dysthymia" which is a sort of low grade, persistant long term depression.

Also from around the age of 21 I develop serious problems with anxiety, and had many years where I was quite neurotic and plagued by constant panic attacks, some lasting for hours and involving hyperventillation, pronounced shaking, rapid heart beat, and sometimes loss of control of my bowels (in severe cases).

In regards to anxiety, marijuana has the potential to trigger attacks.. It may have a sort of psychologically suggestive effect in some people, triggering them to "worry more" about their anxiety... So in some cases marijuana may temporarily aggrivate anxiety, and in some people with severe anxiety disorders, pot may not be a good idea (while paradoxically it may actually help some people in such circumstances). In all cases caution is recommended if you don't want to risk a severe panic attack.

However the panic inducing effects of THC seem most pronounced in inexperienced users, and may be due to the fact some people are especially sensitive to THC and while they get used to it require only small amounts, such as 1-2 tokes. Once tolerance develops, the effects of THC seem to become much more relaxing and indeed I find these days marijuana actually reduces my overall feelings of anxiety. Quite a lot in fact. I am almost completely devoid of anxiety problems, yet I puff on the herb every day.

I think to a degree I had to learn to overcome a fear I had of marijuana causing me to panic. I had to overcome a default tendency to become a bit spooked out by the effects of becoming excessively stoned.

However as I said these days I almost never experience any anxiety when I smoke weed. This is interesting because at the beggining I had some severe panic attacks which nearly stopped me smoking weed for good. The fact that I have now entirely overcome this problem, and indeed not had a large panic attack in a very long time, indicates that it is possible in many cases to manage cases where marijuana tends to induce anxiety. Beware though it can happen in experienced users. People who are prone to anxiety and depression genetically often end up smoking pot as teenagers, but anxiety disorders most typically develop in a persons early 20's... If you have tolerance to pot, and you stop for a week or two your tolerance may significantly reduce. If you then go suck down a couple of cones or whatever like you did before, it can trigger anxiety attacks in the vulnerable. I have heard a few stories of people smoking for a while, then having a break and finding when they smoked it, it triggered anxiety. You can get around it, just take it easy if you have had a break from smoking and have a disposition towards anxiety.

I recommend people who experience anxiety on marijuana (severe anxiety- moderate anxiety is common for newer users and to a degree is part of the fun) simply reduce the amount they consume significantly. In severe cases, people may find that bud is too strong for them at first, and may need to start with consuming leaf.

Remember it takes about 10 minutes to take full effect. So I recommend anxiety prone people take 1-2 medium inhalations, then wait a full 10 minutes before deciding if they want more.

Marijuana seems to have initially stimulating effects, followed by relaxing effects.. its these initial effects, which typically last between 30 minutes to 2 hours (depending on your tolerance) which seem to trigger anxiety...

The stimulating effects of marijuana typically last only about 30 minutes for me, unless I have consumed a great deal more than usual. After that I tend to find the effects more relaxing, and indeed overall I actually find marijuana a very effective treatment for my anxiety, even knows initially it aggrivates it.. Its not that much of a paradox, various antidepressants such as the SSRI's are known to potentially cause anxiety when you first go on them, even knows afterwards they are supposed to treat anxiety (though unfortunately they never did anything for my anxiety. No medication did except the benzodiazepines like valium which to me are extremely addictive and dangerous- I tend to binge on them)

In regards to feeling depressed and smoking marijuana:

I find that when I am severely depressed, that it is best to smoke marijuana moderately.. When I am profoundly upset and depressed over things, marijuana typically only offers mild benefit, and sometimes may seem to even somewhat magnify such feelings and make me feel somewhat disorientated.

The problem is, that a person may come to rely on smoking marijuana to regulate their negative moods. To a moderate degree, and in moderate cases this seems to be potentialy useful. To a degree marijuana can help certain people control and moderate their moods, and indeed in most users marijuana overall "promotes happyness".

However if you suffer from depression, and marijuana is effective for you, but lets say some disaster happens- ie somebody you love dies or something. What can happen is you can automatically esculate your consumption of pot to try and compensate for the sudden shift in mood. The problem is when you significantly increase your consumption of weed, the mood elevating effects reduce. THE MORE YOU SMOKE WEED, THE HIGHER THE FREQUENCY AND THE GREATER THE AMOUNT = THE LESS THE EFFECT. So if you start smoking it all the time, when you are in some sort of desperate need, the very beneficial effects it usually offers you can dissipate and reduce and indeed collapse.. Its sort of like leaning too heavily on a crutch- potentially using pot in this way can result in you crashing down and may somewhat worsten your situation.

So I caution people, if you are feeling extremely disturbed and depressed, SMOKE POT MODERATELY. Indeed while often times it does help- if it is not helping, it may be time to reduce your usage to lower levels for a while.

Its interesting though. I also take one other medication which I find helps treat my depression. Usually this gets rid of my darkest moods but leave me feeling somewhat flat, and just "empty".. Sure I don't feel awful, but I don't feel that able to enjoy things. At this level, smoking a few cones or so each night seems very beneficial.. Sometimes I have an extra cone or two in the early part of the day as well, but I never go beyond this, because I have found the mood elevating effects of pot best for depression etc, when used moderately- not heavily. I know because when I have been very depressed I have smoked so heavily that I can go through a whole ounce in around 3-4 days.

My advice is if you use pot somewhat to control bad moods, that you are careful not to do so too heavily and if you have some sort of emotional / depressive crisis, that you are CAREFUL not try to esculate and esculate your usage, because the mood elevating effects of pot may collapse under such circumstances, but only I feel when the person is in a very bad way indeed.

Overall: Pot can be quite useful indeed for depression and anxiety, but pot is a complex drug, and it needs to be used in the correct way to maximize benefit. I feel if used inappropriate it may make things somewhat worst, but nowhere near to the degree that something like alcohol would for example.

In people with a serious potential to harm themselves and people predisposed to the darkest moods, I recommend moderate consumption of marijuana may offer the most benefits.

Anyway its just my opinion based on my experience. Hope its useful to somebody... Overall what I am trying to say is people must be mindful of how they are using marijuana in regards to depression and anxiety, but for me, I really feel it has offered profound benefits... Marijuana has hugely improved the quality of my life- which is why I resent fearing being busted and losing my medicine or even going to prison. I don't consider myself depressed at all any more... I also no longer have problems with anxiety, though occasionally I do get moderate anxiety for a couple of minutes on weed or so just after I have consumed it- I don't view this as problematic and just ignore it.

Here is a cheesy summary for you .. Sort of thing I would like to read if marijuana were a legal medicine used for depression. I am running out of time so I'm just going to do it quickly: :rolleyes: ^_^

Marijuana Prescribing Information:

Depression: Marijuana may be useful for depression when the dosage is moderated appropriately.

Warning Against Heavy Usage During an Emotional Crisis:

Heavy usage of marijuana may cause a decline in the mood elevating effects, therefore all users of marijuana for depression are cautioned not to suddenly increase consumption during a severe emotional crisis, as this may cause the beneficial effects of marijuana to collapse at a time when they are most needed. Also heavy usage of marijuana may further confuse and aggrivate a severely distraught person when its mood elevating effects are failing.

Most other medications are not contradicted in conjunction with Marijuana:

People who use marijuana to treat depression should not give up on trying other medications that may also help. Marijuana may be most beneficial when used in conjunction with another medication that is also beneficial. Generally prescription medications would only be recommend in severe cases of depression, in milder cases marijuana alone may be sufficient. However marijuana can definately provide addition benefit for some people on top of antidepressants. Moderate usage however is strongly recommended.

Marijuana usage in anxiety disorders:

Slow and gradual usage is recommended in persons prone to anxiety or who experience strong anxiety while on marijuana. Ideally a moderate amount of leaf may be smoked in the earlier stages until tolerance improves. Alternatively 1-2 moderate sized tokes of average grade bud per 10 minutes until desired effect is achieved.

Marijuana initially has stimulating phase of between 30 - 120 minutes. If this phase is too intense for a person it may increase anxiety. After this phase has passed a second relaxing phasing occurs which reducing anxiety in most people. The more tolerance a person develops to marijuana according to moderate daily smoking, the shorter and milder the simulating phase becomes and the overall better the anxiety reducing effects are. However some people who suffer from anxiety simply cannot tolerate pot under any circumstances, and such people usually soon decide to discontinue their pot usage.

Here is an interesting article about how the effects of marijuana DECREASE with frequency of usage. This explains why the mood elevating effects can collapse with a sudden esculation of dosage, though it may take a couple of weeks for the effect to fully occur.

The antidepressant and anti-anxiety effects of marijuana may be stronger at moderate doses than higher doses.

I strongly recommend reading the following if you haven't, its a really interesting discussion about marijuans effect on the brain in general.

http://www.marijuanalibrary.org/brain2.html

Edited by cybergenesis

Tell me what you disagree with? I am interested...

I am not saying everything I said was absolute fact, its just what I have learned from my own experience... Also I am not definately saying that heavy consumption of marijuana may not be appropriate, just for some people such as myself I get the best benefits from moderate usage, which to me is 1-2 sessions per day, each session lasting 2-3 hours. For myself I consider moderate usage somewhere between 4 to 6 cones per day, in two main sessions (and I have most of it at night before bed). It definately does help me as well, though it is part of an overall strategy i have to keep myself in a positive, healthy frame of mind. Marijuana to me encourages positive, healthy thinking. Though its a bit of a daydreamers drug, I avoid consuming it around times I need to be especially busy and focused.

I hope I didn't come across as negative, I was trying to proclaim the benefits of marijuana for some people with depression and anxiety but I would like to strictly state I am not a fan of people with bipolar or psychosis using pot. I do not advocate it for people with psychotic disorders. I don't have experience with using pot with these disorders as I do not have them.

Also I am not saying it is for treating everybodys depression and anxiety. Perhaps it may make such situations worst in some cases, as I was trying to illustrate, its a lot to do with how marijuana is used, and the person that is using it. But marijuana I feel definately has a beneficial role to play in some cases of depression and anxiety, of that I am certain. I am living proof.

Edited by cybergenesis

Well first thing is your subjective opinion doesn't match up with my subjection opinion(I too [like most] have tragedy and depression in my life) which finds NO negatives with exo-Cannabinoinds. Cannabis helped cure my depression :rolleyes: it was everyone else telling my I was bad for medicating with Cannabis that was hurting me but....Meh that's just a Subjective opinion :D

Instead of arguing the points I'm happy to agree we both have a right to our opinions. ^_^

I just wanted to say in regards to your comments SHEEPinWOLFskin,

My opinion doesn't seem so far from yours. I definately believe that marijuana and Cannabinoinds have a role in treating depression in many cases.

I do NOT think marijuana is a CAUSE of depression, neither do I think it directly can make depression worst. Unlike alcohol, which I know for a fact can severely aggrivate depression, because on high doses of alcohol I become extremely depressed and even suicidal. So much so that it is basically my lifes #1 priority- do not drink alcohol. Not that it is hard anymore to avoid alcohol, because I have marijuana. Indeed marijuana may be useful in helping people to quit alcohol, ie gives them a better alternative.

The only time I have experienced depression which did not respond to marijuana was when I quit my nicorette chewing gum.. Well my depression did respond to cannabis actually, but not as much as normal, and I found myself consuming huge amounts try to compensate. So my perspective was that in my case, when I smoke too much the psychoactive effects (which are beneficial to me) became milder and less useful.

I guess as good a drug as marijuana is, I perhaps should not be surprised that it struggled to alleviate depression which came to the surface from quiting nicotine (I was on the gum for over 15 years). Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances ever. Perhaps I rushed back to the nicorettes a little too fast.

But now I am great, and I definately consider marijuana to have a positive effects on my moods and anxiety.

I did make some comments about psychosis and bipolar, and I was not trying to say what if any effect marijuana has on people with these disorders- I am open the possibility it might help- I simply do not know cause I don't have experience in this area, so I was just saying my information should be taken with caution in such circumstances because I can't speak from experience what effect it may have, though I definately do not belive it CAUSES any of these disorders. I don't believe marijuana causes ANY significant, long term adverse effects, even with chronic usage (besides some potential damage to the lungs if smoked). If it does cause any adverse effects they are mild and temporary and most people find the benefits far outweight any negatives. Marijuana has less side effects for most people than the SSRI antidepressants which are reputed to be very well tolerated and safe.

I'd like to be legitimately able to take marijuana for my mental health problems without fear of being arrested or at the least fined and having my stash taken :rolleyes:

I don't believe anybody should doubt that I should be able to consume cannabis if they saw what I used to be like as a chronic alcoholic- which I was about 10 years ago. I belonged dead or in prison when I was an alcoholic, now that I am on cannabis, I am a good, contributing member of the community.

Edited by cybergenesis

No problem.

Have you looked into the work of Dr Robert Melamede? Cannabinoids aren't a toxin, they heal you, not hurt you :D if you really look into the science it will make you very happy to love the Cannabis plant.

IMHO "The oil that is extracted from the Cannabis plant is an anti aging Medicine when eaten in high enough quantities. That may sound like a fantasy but if you look into the research and learn how our bodies make Endo-Cannabinoids to control/repair our whole body, it makes sense that flooding the body with Exo-Cannabinoids(Cannabis oil) would repair the body as a whole.

Cannabis & Cannabinoids Dr Robert Melamede YT vid

Also if you not growing your own weed it's very hard getting the right strain for you.

I've made the oil by using 100% ISO on a few months worth of vapor poo got 5g and ate is over a week(vapored some very very strong) WOW just WOW it did some great healing on me :bongon: want lots lots more oil for healing.

Medical Cannabis - Impact on Human Health YT vid

While I don't promote smoking Cannabis(Vaporize or eat it baby) the healing properties of the Exo-Cannabinoids protect people from the harmful effects of smoking.

I think prohibition causes all the problems with the Cannabis plant.

Peace and pot

WHen I was a teenager I started smoking to cope with my Social Anxiety. Personally, it really helped me find my balance and become more present which automatically quietens the mind (where alot of anxiety comes from...even tho i guess most of it is unconscious meanings playing themselves out).

It does have definate benefits in this experience... but Ive known people to whom weed seemed to make their anxiety worse.

Add me to the list of people with depression and anxiety issues that find great help from the use of cannabis. I become more productive, am less afraid of interaction with other people, and just feel more comfortable. I think it should be used more as a tool to explore these issues from another state of mind rather than as a crutch that you need to feel good, and I think it shouldn't be used over extended periods of time as the benefits tend to diminish, but yeah. Just use it responsibly and carefully and it can become a positive asset in your life.

I have anxiety/depression which comes from my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from the military. I was appalled by the cannibis in WA. And being american doesnt help due to not knowing anyone. So i started growing due to the fact i was on zanax and valium and started feeling like a zombie. Getting off prescribtion medicine was the hardest thing i have ever had to do! I ordered some Floja (DJ short flo x double purple doja) and grew that out. Beautiful clear headed happy feeling smoke. I can smoke it all day no problem whatsover. For night time meds i use White Bubba which is an indica smoke that will floor you and sends me off to sleep.

Thanks SHEEPinWOLFskin for those informative videos. I just wish there was some way to make everybody watch this!

Here is some pics of the floja and white bubba. Floja is the purple bud in the middle, on the top is white bubba sativa pheno and bottom is white bubba indica pheno.

post-36511-1283239593_thumb.jpg