I'm planning to make myself a couple of bongs. I mean, nice ones, not mutilating an empty plastic drink bottle or something :rolleyes:. Wondering if anyone else has done this and has any advice or ideas ^_^

I'd like to use polymer clay, because you can do some awesomely pretty stuff with it. But i'm worried whether it's safe to smoke out of. I used to use it to make little ornaments and stuff, and it bakes to be a very nice solid plastic that doesn't smell or anything so maybe it would be ok.

Alternatively i'd like to carve one out of wood, or build one from terracotta clay but then if i take it to be fired at a local kiln can i get in trouble? I'm also not sure how to keep my stem removable but also easily resealable if i'm using clay or polymer- can you buy those black sealy things from somewhere?

I'd like to use polymer clay, because you can do some awesomely pretty stuff with it. But i'm worried whether it's safe to smoke out of.

Nah, not food safe... so nah, it aint safe to smoke out of... the plasticiser is TOXIC.

But it does make awesome ornaments... maybe buy a small pyrex bong and then make decorations for it out of polymer clay... fire them and then hot glue to the exterior?

hey Turtlefayce how is it hangin?

Mate you can always get yourself a tungsten glass drill and make your own bongs out of any 700ml or 375ml bottle.

Jacks, Rum, Turkey or even a beer bottle.

Then when she is dirty just throw it away and make a new one.

It can be a bit tricky drilling the hole but you will find the best way.

Happy choofin

FWF

Thanks muchly everyone ^_^ very helpful answers! I think i'll probably end up using lou lou's idea of just decorating a pre-bought plain pyrex one... probably easiest way for me to get something both prettyfull and comfy to smoke out of.

Unless i can find some sort of food grade polymer clay like thing... I'd really rather something good i made myself than something i bought or something i'm just going to throw out really quick. An awesome, smooth, cool looking bong what you can take care of and keep for a long time is the best i reckon! It becomes like a treasured old friend :rolleyes:. I'm an artistic sort of person so if i can make something pretty to use for something, im going to :D

Glass and polymer clay work well together, I've been making some stuff at home with some glass bits I had lying around while my studio is shut down because of a sewage problem. I use a polymer clay made here in Australia, called Ozzle (the manufacturer has an ebay store) and reasonably priced, which is supposedly non-toxic, although I doubt it's food safe. Like you, I think lou lou had the right idea. I know they use polymer clay to decorate pipes with a metal core in Costa Rica, I got one somewhere with a jaguar head on it, they do it in Peru and other places in South America also.

If you're going to go down the way of drilling something interesting like a galliano bottle and then decorating it with polymer clay, I'd suggest diamond drill bits, also cheap off ebay, you'll need a 12mm if you want to fit in a grommet and 10mm downpipe and I'd probably suggest a smaller drill bit for the shotty. Remember to use a cordless drill and use plenty of water on the glass where you're drilling, as the process creates heat and may break the bottle otherwise ... also don't push too hard.

Here's some of the stuff I made (they're not pipes) using glass bits and polymer clay.

a little Speye Camera

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5752/vonschutter.jpg

Ray Gun (the whole core of the gun is glass; ie handle, etc, just with polymer clay clad around it)

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/580/gun3b.jpg

and a Watcher

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7207/eyewitness.jpg

cheers

Edited by aussie made glass