Reverse Osmosis filters?

WC hire yaself an abbo (cost a can of beer), and get them to tell you where a spare water well is, then dig.

JOking im not racist, I hate everyone equally,

But really why not get your self one of those water tanks and catch the rain water and use that??

I read yesterday that you shouldnt use RO water in MJ plants for some reason I forget why but it was quite well explained,

Myself I use tap water and even with your shit water supply I would still use it, just make sure you treat it with OXYplus, or some other H202,

It will kill all the bugs and other crap and leave an excess of oxygen behind,

The reason that some suggest not to use RO is that you have to add back Calcium and Magnesium as the filter strips these from the water. Not a major issue as such, but with the already 50% loss of water from the RO filter as waste water, and the cost of constantly having to add CalMag to the solution (another nute to constantly buy) the cost is a factor and hence turns some people off

Sorry mate got to disagree with you there to save other people making the same mistake,

you should NEVER top the nutrients up, add only water inbetween changes,

reason being a truncheon is awesome i love mine BUT, it gives a total salt measurement, it however doesnt tell you that the plant has used all the N and the K and P is still strong with them,

I mean" say the plant used all of the N and none of the K or P or micros, the reading would be lower, but may still be within but all the N has been used( so you end up with a N deficiency, but the truncheon says everything is ok),

You then come along and top up the nutes and it brings the K,P or micros up to a dangerous level but the nutes still have a lack of the initial componet."

so in this new mix you now have a nutreint lockout and deficiency happening, which you cant understand as the truncheon is reading an acceptable level,

RO water is also BAD news but im not sure why, its just all the books and shit I have say DO NOT USE RO water,

Lucas formula is a perfect example of using a nutrient add back system. I don't personally use the Lucas formula currently, I have in the past and used the add back system only with a res change/clean when flipping the lights and had no issues what so ever. Only reason I don't Lucas now is that I have moved to a 100% coco set up and I like the H&G coco base nutes. 

not necessarily weekprik. Many grow successfully topping up with nute water and not flushing until the end of the grow. For example checkout Nimby's threads at overgrow. Of course by most reports plants do better the more often you flush, but its not necessarily critical.

RO water is just purified water, how can that possibly be bad? Can you quote some sources on this?

what are you basing that opinion on?

As mentioned above, RO strips the Calcium and Magnesium out of the water and cannabis is a Calcium loving plant. Most nute deficiencies stem from Calcium deficiency by locking out other nutes. So one might think they are having a Magnesium or Nitrogen deficiency, which they probably are but caused by a nute lock out from low calcium. A lot of people think that a RO filter purifies the water, which it does just not 100% as it cannot strip Chloramine out of the water. Chloramine can only be fully stripped out of water thru a specialized Chloramine filter which most RO units do not add to their set up. 

Edited by Naked Monk