What is going wrong! Please help! Experts only please...

Hi all,

This is my third attempt and i'm having no end of apparent Ph problems. I cannot get it right. I'm using Nutrifield for grow and flower, which I used last time, but the first crop I used a different nutrient and had the same problems, so to me it points to something else in the environment. I got these cuttings from a mate interstate who uses the same nutrients, same ph levels etc and he has no problems, yet within a week I start getting yellow patches, dried edges, twisted/gnarled leaves, "fluffy" look to leaves, 3-prong leaves, etc. Last crop I experimented with the Ph a little and found I have to keep it between 5.8-6.0, anything else and I start getting problems, but I still get problems regardless.

I'm using nutrifield premium coco, a 600w light, centrifugal fan and oscilating fan (plenty of air movment). I got them with 7 prong leaves, but within a week they were shooting off 3 prongers and started developing the problems you can see in the pictures.

Is it normal for plants to be so sensitive to Ph?

What else could be causing these problems?

What do I do? I am at my wits end, to me it doesn't seem that anything other than Ph could be the problem because i'm using good quality nutrients that someone else I know is using without problems, yet I can't fix it by adjusting the Ph.

Thanks for your help...

post-34814-1264509089_thumb.jpg

post-34814-1264509109_thumb.jpg

post-34814-1264509135_thumb.jpg

post-34814-1264509160_thumb.jpg

hi Benbenny,

I don't know how many replys you will get asking for Experts only ....... i am a newby but to me it looks like over 'nute-ing' or as you say ph nutrient "lock out" possibly by PH.

Remedy is to flush with PH adjusted water to runoff twice the start lower ec - say 1.6 - 1.8.

;)

Nitty.

hey hey

Looks to me like you have yourself a case of nute burn.... This can be caused by a few things but mostly by too higher ec or ppm. Alot of new growers get nute burn due to not knowing the signs of PH lockout, so they see there plant lacking nutes so they up the PPM and then whadda ya know, burnies on ya leafies ;)

Now i would still be looking at a PH lock out or even a salt build up in your substraight so the best way to figure out the issue is to find out what PPM you feed them at to start, then next step i would flush with 10lt of PH adjusted water before you do this test the PPM of your tap water you will need this later to compare over flow PPM. Catch some of the overflow and we need to test that to cancel out 2 2 problems, first of all check the PPM of the waste water, is it the same as the origonal PPM you started with??? If so i would be guessing you have a salt build up in you coco this can be fixed very similar to a PH lockout but lets test that first. The same test sample now needs to be tested for any PH increases. So if you test your PH and it has changed majorly from what you origonally had then im guessing you have PH issues as well.

Now to fix both problems is quiet simple, for Salt buildups simply flush with straight water PH adjusted (if you think your plants are susceptable to PH issues, i never used to worry as my plants didnt care much) and keep flushing and testing the run off untill you get to a similar PPM that you started with.....

To fix a PH lockout same thing really but make sure your PH is adjusted before you flush and test the PH after each flush, a little tip i used to use to do it quicker is use fairly low PH water at the start if high PH is your issue and vice vera if low PH is the issue, usually its high, and for the last flush once your close to getting it right make sure its spot on the PH that you want.

Another tip for you would be to switch to a coco specific nute such as canna coco, as i know its hard to get coco grows spot on with normal nutes. And make sure you aint leaving any run off sitting in those bowls at the bottom as that will be part of the issues if you are....

hope that helps and happy growing!!!

Hi all,

Cheers for replies. I asked for experts only because i've been doing this a while, have posted this before and am still having the exact same problems. This time, though, I posted photos.

I agree, it looks like nutrient burn or Ph lockout. The Ph of the water is 7.0 before adding nutes, the ec I don't recall exactly but it was negligible if it read anything at all.

They are curerntly in a bathroom with plenty of ventilation. I previously used a tent and thought this might have been the problem (chemicals?), but it's not the environment.

EC after adding nutes was 1.0 in week 1 of grow with Ph 5.6. EC in 2nd week was upped to 1.3 in second week with Ph upped to 5.9/6/0 to try and counteract the problems that were coming up, but very little improvement. One of them is looking better, but why not the others? All in the exact same conditions, same strain, everything.

I'm watering them roughly 2/3 times a day, handwatering at the moment. I flush every week with Ph adjusted water.

I have been calibrating my meters and both appear to be correct. I also use the Nutrifiled coco designed for their specific nutrients. And, there is no run-off at the bottom.

I feel like i'm doing everything right, but to no avail!!