Lobbyists to ambush Rudd with giant joint

Well if you live in Nimbin whats so hard to believe about protesting with a giant 10mtr joint? ffs? :D

No one is saying don't join in

No one is saying don't protest in your own way

If more people in suits started protesting well I guess there would be more people in suits protesting, but at present the amount of people in suits protesting is around the 0-1 mark, the number of non suit attired protesters remains strong however and until the % of suitably attired suit wearing protestors increases, Fashion, will be the only casualty :D

;)

closet grower.. what a crack up..

that giant joint has been everywhere man, and it always gets attention. the message on it is clear, the shape represents what the people want. you can not be more clearer. to say that it is inappropriate is almost like saying you are ashamed of what we are protesting for! .. I know this wouldn't be the case, but it is a symbol of the reality. This is what we want, and this is what it looks like - it's not a heroine filled syringe for goodness sake ;)

I have alot of respect for the people who constructed it and although I haven't yet, I would love to be apart of Mardi Grass :D

:D ;)

You nailed it Closet Grower.

Thanks Rocker .

To the others that commented ,, all I am trying to get across , is can't we approach things in a more responsible, adult way ? Maybe with facts etc ,, rather than a big joint , and people looking like the Hippy extremists that no one takes seriously ? Hasnt worked in the past , why would it work now ? :D

........Hasn't worked in the past , why would it work now ? :D

:D That's it pretty much in a nutshell imo. I notice some who think 'the big joint' is a good idea also think that PR is one of the most important things needs to be addressed by any group wanting to be taken seriously. If most of the general public see 'the big joint' as nothing more than a 'silly stunt' from 'Hippy extremists' how is it good PR if the aim is to be taken seriously??

Don't get me wrong, I personally like 'the big joint' (Oz is a nation full of 'big things' from lobsters to bananas to big sheep u can buy fuel in ;)) Of course we need a big joint too) it defiantly has a place, like mardi grass for eg. but to use it as a 'center piece' at somewhere like Lismore the other day and the upcoming NCPIC meeting I agree with rocker, Closet grower nailed it in his first post.....

Oh great , a Giant inflatable Joint is going to be shown to our PM ,, that should really show him how responsible we are ;) Fucken amazes me ,, people wonder why Pot is illegal ,, when some do stupid shit like this !! Really shows a great example of pot smokers doesnt it ???? No wonder people think we are wankers !

Peace MongyMan

Ps. As an after thought, maby it's time Nimbin had a real 'big joint'. Like the big banana or the sheep and so on. The public are odd in the way they see things. IMO a big joint built as a tourist attraction in Nimbin would become well known and accepted seriously, It could be somewhere to hand out information about cannabis to educate the public when they visit. It would become much more well known than the current 'big joint' and when people see an organized building run professionally, rather than a joint stuck to the top of an old van with 'Hippy extremists' in tow, 'The Big Joint' Might do alot more good than the harm many see it does now in it's current form.

Maybe they could put one on the roof of the HEMP embassy building?

I do see the points some people are making in here... but my comment related in particular to the fact that the appearance at the Lismore Hospital managed to get some reasonably positive media coverage that did not seem to take the point of view that it was a "bunch of aging hippies" ambushing the Prime Minister.

It could have been reported much more negatively than it was, so in that sense it was a victory for the protesters.

I am not suggesting I personally would want to hinge an Australia wide campaign on the strength of some inflatable joints. But I think there is room in this area for all sorts of people to express their dissatisfaction with the current laws in many different ways.

The 'cause' has been going backwards for years.

There was a time when cannabis smokers were left pretty much alone and drug busts were as scarce as hen's teeth.

Then it began to change and change for the worse.

The reason is obvious to most but eventually the wheel will turn and we will be left alone again. It wont happen overnight though.

I understand where you guys are coming from now. I know that the general public see it as just a hippy thing. It's just unfortunate that that is the stigma attached to it. Does the message on the big joint not matter? I suppose not, because as you have just shown me, that is what people think of it and I get it, no matter what I say about it, people just can not see past the stigma.

The Big Joint would be an awesome tourist attraction in Nimbin itself and I have to agree, after considering what you said mongy, as a tourist attraction it would become more famous and the population in general would probably take it more seriously.

We have been saying it time and time again, we need to adopt the accepted image in order to get our message across.

On the other hand, we can not forget the importance of freedom. I believe that was the goal in the first place. The freedom to have the choice to be whoever we want to be, and if ganja loving "hippies" want to fight for that right too and want to hold up a rainbow joint then bless them. For they have the same goal as me and are not in my way of achieving my dreams. I just think we should be embracing all those who love the weed. I think it would be more affective if there was a variety of people in a crowd, suit wearers and earth children alike, show that we can work together. Haven't we all shown that we are altogether and 'with it' just by knowing what is going on in our country in terms of the prohibition? I mean, if they were just lay-abouts they wouldn't have even known about the issue.. I just think it takes a certain person to even be able to stand up for what they believe in and not only that but actually understanding what they believe in. I don't think anyone should be judged by how they look.

that is just my two cents. I know it is just idealistic and the reality is far from total acceptance.. :D

The reason cannabis is illegal still in Australia has nothing to do with anything, execpt US policy. But if you really cared about these issues closet grower, you'd slready know that.

BTW, I might remind you that the only reason we have a town in Australia where cannabis is unofficially legal is because of these hippies.

Until people actually get a town were cannabis is unofficially legal than maybe they should keep there opinion to themselves!

Together we live, alone we die!!!

Edited by jabez

The reason cannabis is illegal still in Australia has nothing to do with anything, execpt US policy. But if you really cared about these issues closet grower, you'd slready know that.

BTW, I might remind you that the only reason we have a town in Australia where cannabis is unofficially legal is because of these hippies.

Until people actually get a town were cannabis is unofficially legal than maybe they should keep there opinion to themselves!

Thank you for reminding us all of this FACT :D